WHERE TO MOUNT THE NITROUS BOTTLE??

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHEN YOU MOUNT THE NITROUS BOTTLE IN THE TRUNK OF A 99 RT/10, CAN YOU DRILL THROUGH THE WALL INTO THE INTERIOR OF THE RT? IVE HEARD THERES A GAS TANK INBETWEEN THERE. IF THIS IS TRUE, HOW DO I GET THE NITROUS LINES, SWITCHES AND ELECTRONICS INTO THE COCKPIT OF THE CAR. I DIDNT WANT TO GO UNDERNEATH THE RT. CAN I GET THE ON/OFF SWITCH AND REMOTE BOTTLE OPENER INTO THE GLOVE BOX AREA FROM THE TRUNK?

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL I WOULD MOUNT IT ON THE FLOOR OF THE TRUNK. BUT I GUESS I WAS NOT CLEAR WITH MY QUESTION. CAN YOU DRILL THROUGH THE WALL TO RUN THE LINES? WILL I PUNCTURE ANYTHING?????

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest Fabricating a custom aluminum bracket that uses your spare tire hold down,thats what I sell,its lightweight,and the bottle and or complete bracket can be removed quicklike.
PS.You've got a pristine 99 and hope your lucky,cause doing NOS on your own is a crapshoot!
death2.gif

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no im going to munt the system and put the lines in place. the local speed shop is going to hook it up. i would not risk the chance of messing up the engine. but i fell as if my question still has not been answered. can i drill through the cack wall for the lines to run though????????????????????????????

Reaction score
The gas tank on the RT is between the trunk and the seats. If you drill straight down you wont hit anything. I drilled my holes on the right side up near the top so it would be easy to feed the lines inside the trunk.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tank is not up tight against the forward part of the trunk near the bottom. If you drill the hole about an inch above the floor of the trunk you can line up your access directly into the factory wiring path which is in the top of the driveline tunnel. If you use a versabit, you can make the hole the right size to accept a plug in the future if you choose to return the car to stock.

Have them mount the assembly on a piece of plywood or 10 gauge aluminum. It makes a neat install and you can use the spare tire hold down studs to fasten the plate to the floor of the trunk.

The actual power for the bottle heater can be picked up at the battery. The run is only about 30". The switched leads are for the heater solenoid control. Have them run two spare #14 wires (in addition to the switched circuit) back to the trunk. There is always the possibility of installing a purge valve or on/off valve in addition to the bottle heater.

If you are in a cold weather area you will need a heater on the propane bottle if you decide to go wet. The propane has to be kept at 160-170 psi to get the volume to maintain the proper fuel/air. You can run both heaters off of the #12 conductor that goes directly to the battery.

Make sure that you have an inline holder where you attach to the battery. The ground connection can be taken directly off of the chasis to frame bolt that is visible on the outer left side of the trunk.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tank is not up tight against the forward part of the trunk near the bottom. If you drill the hole about an inch above the floor of the trunk you can line up your access directly into the factory wiring path which is in the top of the driveline tunnel. If you use a versabit, you can make the hole the right size to accept a plug in the future if you choose to return the car to stock.

Have them mount the assembly on a piece of plywood or 10 gauge aluminum. It makes a neat install and you can use the spare tire hold down studs to fasten the plate to the floor of the trunk.

The actual power for the bottle heater can be picked up at the battery. The run is only about 30". The switched leads are for the heater solenoid control. Have them run two spare #14 wires (in addition to the switched circuit) back to the trunk. There is always the possibility of installing a purge valve or on/off valve in addition to the bottle heater.

If you are in a cold weather area you will need a heater on the propane bottle if you decide to go wet. The propane has to be kept at 160-170 psi to get the volume to maintain the proper fuel/air. You can run both heaters off of the #12 conductor that goes directly to the battery.

Make sure that you have an inline holder where you attach to the battery. The ground connection can be taken directly off of the chasis to frame bolt that is visible on the outer left side of the trunk.