which oil filter people liking now-a-days ?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use MOPAR 5037836AA which is recommended by the SRT engineers. In a recent thread, there was input from the folks responsible for the engine development that the WIX model sold as NAPA Gold was a good substitute. I use that filter "brand" on all of my non-Viper applications since it has top scores in oil filter tests and discussions.

Mobil 1 filter is a respected filter also.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That number is now showing superseded by # 5038041AA
I have some of those on order. Curious to see if it's the same Viper filter/packaging.

I saw that one mentioned in another thread. I still have a couple of the ones that I listed on my shelf. There was one post by JonB that implied that the new filter wouldn't fit the older Gen engines? The thread was a bit confusing to me, though. Let us know if it fits a gen II

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/629200-New-quot-SRT-quot-oil-filter-Help!?highlight=5038041AA

Attachments

• 5038041aa.jpg
    5038041aa.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 13

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar, Mobile 1, Wix Gold or even Purolator Pure 1 are all good filters. Just stay away from any Fram oil filter..................:eek:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have some of those on order. Curious to see if it's the same Viper filter/packaging.

NOT CORRECT for Gen 1-2. And it WONT FIT anything except Gen 4 SRT10, {and SRT-8 engines}. An innocent typo in an engineering post was NOT corrected, and now that info gets searched and mis-quoted to date....

Why would you have 'on order' Tony? READILY AVAILABLE... but for Gen 4 ONLY.

The Gen 4 filter is "special" .... but not Gen 1-2, from the 'lowest bid' era. Use Mobil One or NAPA Gold.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I saw that one mentioned in another thread. I still have a couple of the ones that I listed on my shelf. There was one post by JonB that implied that the new filter wouldn't fit the older Gen engines? The thread was a bit confusing to me, though. Let us know if it fits a gen II....

AZ...

I did not mean to IMPLY..... I should have stated straight out: 5038041AA WILL NOT FIT GEN 1-2-3. Gen 4 OE filters are 'over-engineere'd for SRT8 and Gen 4 engines. "Special" SRT filters. MOBIL ONE, NAPA GOLD etc, great for Gen 1-2-3

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been running the Mopar # 5037836AA. $9.56 a filter at my local dealer (who is now closed as of last week :crazy2: ), cheaper than Mobil 1. Also I have changed from Mobil 1 to Wix gold on my other vehicles because of all the good feedback and they are cheaper.

JohB, so are the Gen 4 filters (5038041AA) the filters that have different pressure valving than aftermarket? I remember reading some threads discussing a difference in pressure bypass valving in the Mopar filters vs. aftermarket.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WRONG WRONG WRONG

5037836AA is the Mopar performance filter for the 1992 - 2006 viper (says viper on it)
5038041AA is the Mopar performance filter for the 2008 - 2010 viper (says SRT on it)
They DO NOT supersed into each other

They are the same filter except 5037836AA has standard threads and 5038041AA has metric threads. Please understand a wallmart caravan filter will fit and not leak on a viper. But that does not mean you should run it.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, Autozone has a sale on Mobile 1 oil this month. You get 5 quarts of any Mobile 1 oil they carry plus a Mobile 1 oil filter for $29.99. If you have their "rewards" card, get one 5qt/filter per day, after 5 days, they give you $20. Pretty goo deal. Or just get the 10 quarts and 2 filters for $60. I think it's a great deal :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you have 'on order' Tony? READILY AVAILABLE... but for Gen 4 ONLY.

On order would be what happens when they are not in stock...you order some, they then arrive the next day.
In this case I was going by the parts mans word that 5037836AA is showing superseded by 5038041AA
Don't kill the messenger....I will find out what's going on.

No one fear though, I still have several 36AA's in stock :rolleyes: They were just replacing the ones I used as door prizes at the Ga. VCA BBQ. If they don't replace 36AA then the dealer will put them on his shelf.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, now I'm confused. I remember reading on this very forum that the new SRT filters was a huge improvement over Mobil 1, Mopar, etc...for Vipers. Even my lowly Gen 1.5 & 2. Now I'm reading here that (at least for my cars) there's nothing special about the SRT filters for my cars. Am I missing something?

According to vendors at Carlisle, Mopar stopped making all the reproduction filters for the older musclecars too.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now when I say this, I am only referring to the filters that cover up to and including the gen 3's. The mopar filter for general use, MO-090 which was installed on the Vipers prior to the Viper spec filter (5037836AA) being introduced, when cut open looks identical to the viper Spec filter when it comes to filter media. One thing I did notice is that the bypass valve is different and appears "beefier" than the stock Mopar filter. It seems to me that I read that Mopar changed the bypass valve because the Viper can have much higher cold oil pressure than other production cars.

I have not opened up a NAPA gold filter to compare it to the Mopar filters.

I guess the bottom line for me is: I use the Viper spec filter (5037836AA). But I would have no hesitation in using the M0-090 if the need arises as that is what my Viper was originally equpped with when it came new from the factory.

Steve A.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought six in April, it was the old part number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang