which sparkplugs do you like best?

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which sparkplugs do you like best in a lightly modded 97 GTS. Has anyone had good results with the Bosch platniums or split fire plugs?

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Bosch plugs of any kind have no place in our Vipers!!! They are CRAP!!
I run an auto repair facility and I can tell you that the Bosch plugs are prone to failure and carbon tracking even after people have used dielectric grease on the connections, I've seen it many times. Use the FACTORY plugs and you can't go wrong!!! Like Plumcrazy said! They're cheap, and they work!!

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run Autolite XP985 in my 2002 gts.They are iridium so you don't have to worry about changing them for a very long time.This is my 3rd viper that i have use them in with no problems.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By lightly modded, do you mean no forced induction?
I actually had pretty decent luck with the Bosch Plat 4+, running stockers now.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the Wizard the Stock Champions for Stock or lightly modified. Run them in the GTS and in the 95 I run the NGK 1 step colder plugs since I run N2O as well.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHAMPION
RC12ECC

Stock for Gen2 is RC12LCY, it has been recommended to run the newer RC12ECC that is stock for Gen3's
For Gen-2's, run RC12ECC rather than RC12LCY. (RC12ECC is stock SRT-10 Plug).

They are identical, though they are a double copper version rather than single copper. The ground electrode of the ECC plug transfers heat away better, preventing some instances of pre-ignition. ECC=Copper Core Ground, LYC=Steel.
http://forums.viperclub.org/2506144-post8.html

2bucks a piece at Autozone:
AutoZone.com | | Spark Plug | CHAMP SPARK PLUG RC12ECC

ChampionSparkplugs.com - Application Search Results

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Leslie!

I would say stock copper plugs (Champions) are the best. if you need to go with a colder plug for a modded car I found NGK's to work nicely too. Never had great luck with bosch spark plugs in my experience. Just my two cents.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy's running some high octane too (I think) so I don't believe he's too concerned about the detonation issue which platinums are prone to.

I use 116 Octane (purple) with 50% 93 Octane Shell...I relaced my plugs with the Bosch becase thats what was in the car when I got it.. You say I should go with Champion RC12ECC or 1 step colder than that???? I know so far it has never pinged and runs great but I will go with what you guys say. Gap at 32?? :dunno: :rolleyes:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use 116 Octane (purple) with 50% 93 Octane Shell...I relaced my plugs with the Bosch becase thats what was in the car when I got it.. You say I should go with Champion RC12ECC or 1 step colder than that???? I know so far it has never pinged and runs great but I will go with what you guys say. Gap at 32?? :dunno: :rolleyes:

Is that 116 octane lead free? If not, watch out for your O2 sensors. Around here the best unleaded we can get is 100 octane and the 116 stuff is not newer-car friendly at all.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
116 octane is a waste of money in a viper that is lighlty modded it will actually make the car run slower in the 1/4 mile

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why do you need 116 ?

I ran 1/8th one weekend on 112 mixed with 93 and my car ran better times the next time out when I tried the 116 so I have stuck with 116. It cost $!!.00 a gallon so if you think I should stick with 112, I will.....It is $10.00 a gallon. Will 116 really slow down a car in the 1/4 mile???? I am racing in Montgomery this weekend so I sure would like to know if 112 is good enough. I am just wanting to make sure my motor don't run lean and it runs great on both mixtures......What do you think??? I am new at this so give me a break please.....:dunno: :rolleyes: :D

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 1/8th one weekend on 112 mixed with 93 and my car ran better times the next time out when I tried the 116 so I have stuck with 116. It cost $!!.00 a gallon so if you think I should stick with 112, I will.....It is $10.00 a gallon. Will 116 really slow down a car in the 1/4 mile???? I am racing in Montgomery this weekend so I sure would like to know if 112 is good enough. I am just wanting to make sure my motor don't run lean and it runs great on both mixtures......What do you think??? I am new at this so give me a break please.....:dunno: :rolleyes: :D

What is the car tuned for??? Using any more octane than what is needed will generally slow the car down.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently use the RC12EEC plugs in my lightly modded Viper, with just a few bolt ons. RC12LYC would be fine as well.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like Stock champs are the way to go for stock to lightly modded cars, my question is WHEN do you change the plugs/wires? car is 8.5 yrs old with 20k. one service manual I briefly saw recommended 30,000 miles. seems like too long to wait.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor602,
I waited untill 65K to change the factory copper plugs on my dakota and the center electrodes were worn all the way down flush with the insulator tip. If i waited much longer i assume she would have started missing.

Using that experience as a guage, id say that after about 30K the electrode was prob about 1/2 gone, and at 15K maybee a 1/4

On the Viper i'd like to keep a tight tolerance on the Gaps for performance/efficiency so i change em every 15K. Also, it cant hurt to pull em once a year to inspect gaps&color:2tu:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have XP985's and a set of Adam's wires going on right now. I'll let you know how it feels.
Thanks again for getting them out so quickly Adam!