Which Viper would you get if you had it to do over?

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to hear some advice to help me decide which Viper to buy. Please share your story ie, how you came to buy your Viper. Specifically, did you know exactly which car and paint job you wanted, or do a lot of people just happen on to a deal they can't pass up. I've never owned a car that had even close to the performance of a Viper. After getting one, I would like to get involved in some SCCA events and take some courses at a driving school. I don't want a daily driver, but a frequent driver. Is there any advantage to getting a stock "lower performance" one first, before moving up to say a Hennessy, or one with FI? Thanks to all who contribute here for such a valuable Viper resource. I've spent some time doing searches and lurking. I'm a newbie who has dreamed about getting a Viper from the first day I saw one in 1992. I couldn't bring myself to own one while living on a farm on a dirt road, but now that we've moved, I have a Viper in my not too distant future(hopefully). I've bought but haven't received the Viper Buyer's Guide. I didn't find a FAQ on this website for new and future owners. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fell in love with the original Viper- sidepipes, no windows, no door handles... just four wheels and a big motor. Hence I have a Gen I and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at what options (or lack thereof) you want in your Viper. Go by that, price, condition, and possibly some other factors.
For example, if you want a coupe (GTS), roadster (RT/10), or convertible (SRT). If you want power accessories, like doorlocks and windows.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 again.
Raw and uncivilized beast.

I wish though that I would have had it in 1992...1996, since then there was a boatload of parts ONLY for Gen 1's!! :2tu:

Reaction score
Background - I have enjoyed high performance cars for 40+yrs. My first "Big" mistake(late 68) was buying a new 69 427 Vette instead of a used 67 427 Cobra. That new feeling could not be resisted. Within a few weeks of ownership I had my clock cleaned by a 426 Hemi. Ended up putting in a couple motors trying to go faster, the last motor was a LS7 Open Chambered 454.

When the Viper first came out I had the same feeling for the need for speed as I did in 1968. Only this time I was going to buy a Viper not a vette. Five Viper's later I suggest the newest model 2005 SRT10. I own a 2003 SRT 10 and love its performance and rag top ease of operation. I have had my SRT10's top up and down more in one week than I did in 5 years of RT ownership.

OP
OP
R

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I hadn't factored in ease of putting the top up and down into the equation. But if I was going with a SRT-10, what advantage is there to buy a 2005 for $80k vs a "new" 2003 for $68k(those are estimates)?

S

SUN RA KAT

I'd get exactly the same 2002 Viper GTS and the same mods as what I'm driving now, but I'd also have forged pistons and a 10 pound boost on my Roe Supercharger and a Cam for an S/C engine, and ported heads, and..., and..., and... :D :2tu:

My second choice would be a Graphite Gray GTS with all of the above.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with a blue/white GTS again, either year 96 or 97. Second choice would either be a 99 black/silver stripe GTS, or a final edition ACR.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would buy one that someone else already did the mods to, but that was well maintained. Probably could save enough doing it that way to buy a nice "bad weather car".

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To tell the truth, if it had a better softtop design, I'd rather be in my 99 RT-10 again. I didn't have a clue about forged pistons when I sold it. Now if I wanna go significantly faster, I gotta tear the engine down.....sux.

Bad Car

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS is and will be the body styling that will stand the test of time. In 40 years you'll look back and the 96-02 GTS cars will be the most desired.

I love all Vipers but the GTS is #1.

Favorites: 96 GTS Blue w/White Stripes
01 GTS Blue w/Silver Stripes
02 GTS FE

OP
OP
R

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to get EITHER a show car OR a race car? If you occasionally drive a show car does it destroy the paint and basically ruin its showability? I don't mean a daily driver, but maybe a couple of thousand miles a year. And if you take a show car to the track does it ruin the finish? I was looking at a GTS with a custom, $20,000 paint job and wondered if it was to pretty to ever drive. Is this why so many people get a second Viper?

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fell in love with the white/blue stripes although the blue/white GTS is my favorite. I've taken pictures twice now to sell the white/blue RT and buy a blue/white GTS but I just CAN'T. I love the open top feel that you just can't get with the GTS.

Having said that, I would be happy with any Gen I or Gen II. The only color I wouldn't buy would be yellow and the only thing I would change on a Gen I would be the wheels, I'm not fond of the 3 spokes.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"looking at a GTS with a custom, $20,000 paint job"

What kind of track are you talking about?

First, if you are not an experienced road racer, you should forget taking your Viper to a road course for any open track days.
Driving school is not quite so bad but still dangerous if you can't afford to lose your car to a wreck. If you keep off the guardrails you will be ok. If you bump anything at all you will be one sorry guy.

Drag strip is really no different than street driving unless you use slicks.

So, the bottom line is, yes you can drive your show car on the dry clean pavement without doing much to change it.

Here's the other thing,
If you paint a Viper that doesn't need paint, you will be lowering the value of the car.
There isn't any $20k paint job that you can pick that will be of value to anyone but you.

So, if you are looking at a Viper that needs paint, find one that doesn't.
If the car that you own needs paint, buy a good quality regular paint job the same color that it was to start with.

If you want to spend $20k on your car and it doesn't really need paint, start a post asking how you should spend the money. You will get lots of help and the word paint will not come up.

If you want to lower the value of your Viper, get a really flashy paint job like has never been seen on a Viper. Everyone will say "cool" but you won't find anyone who will really want one like it.

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I read all the posts and the GTS is the only model I don't have. However, they are probably correct, if you want to track the car... most tracks require the coupe or at a minimum the hard top on the RT/10.

I will tell you I have a SRT and it is nice to drive... but man do I love my RT/10. It is just an outright joy to own and nothing gets looks like an RT. It draws people no matter where you drive it.

However, if you are going to track the car... a GTS is probably the best bet. I will agree you don't need a $20K paint job... it does not go any faster :)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Blue/White GTS and plan on keeping it forever unless I happen to marry a supermodel that says it has to go, even then I'd just hide it somewhere.

Other than that, my fav color is 02 Graphite, classy, classy without the boy-racer look of my GTS.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I saw the SRT-10 at the LA car show, I knew exactly what I wanted. So I took my RT/10 over to the dealer and brought home a Final Edition.