Whinning noise from the rear during while cruising!!

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Theres this annoying whinning noise coming from the back, it gets lower in tone the lower I go down in speed but higher the faster I accelerate.

if I press the clutch while cruising at normal speed the noise is still there so it not the clutch, and im sure its not the gear because the noise is in every single gear starting from first till fifth gear.

How do I know if there is something wrong with my diff, do I drain the oil out and check for metal chips and what kind of oil shall I replace it with?

or do I just change the oil and the noise might go away?

The car has been sitting in one place for about three months, but today was my second day taking it out and now the noise is becoming higher everyday.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your rear view mirror.
If you hear whining, it's probably coming from the Corvette driver behind you.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D )

I would start with a diff. drain & fill.
Check the plug for chips/swarf.
Go from there.

OP
OP
M

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
haha, someone had to say it..

what kind of oil should I use?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presume, from the color, that's an 08 or 09. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's new, and you have not finished breaking it in yet. I also recall you said something in your other thread about running a friend in a Vette. Now then, IF you went WOT with a driveline that's not broken in yet (among other things, the gears need to go through a few heat cycles), that's not particularly good for the transmission, or the diff. It might be a good idea to drain, check for any metal in the diff oil, and refill; that can't hurt, and might help. Assuming you haven't damaged anything, the thing may well quiet down after you break it in for a few hundred miles-a bit more gently. In my experience with three Vipers, a little whine from the diff seems to be normal, especially when the car is new. If it's excessive, and/or seems to be getting worse, that's a reason to check it out.

You also mentioned a clunking noise from the rear when going over bumps. If you scroll down the page there's a whole thread on this, and what to check for. See if it's any of the possible causes mentioned there. As for the throttle response you mentioned in your other posting, that electronic throttle is adaptive; it has to learn your driving style. That may take up to a couple hundred miles, so be patient. Hope that helps, and enjoy your new Snake!

OP
OP
M

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I presume, from the color, that's an 08 or 09. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's new, and you have not finished breaking it in yet. I also recall you said something in your other thread about running a friend in a Vette. Now then, IF you went WOT with a driveline that's not broken in yet (among other things, the gears need to go through a few heat cycles), that's not particularly good for the transmission, or the diff. It might be a good idea to drain, check for any metal in the diff oil, and refill; that can't hurt, and might help. Assuming you haven't damaged anything, the thing may well quiet down after you break it in for a few hundred miles-a bit more gently. In my experience with three Vipers, a little whine from the diff seems to be normal, especially when the car is new. If it's excessive, and/or seems to be getting worse, that's a reason to check it out.

You also mentioned a clunking noise from the rear when going over bumps. If you scroll down the page there's a whole thread on this, and what to check for. See if it's any of the possible causes mentioned there. As for the throttle response you mentioned in your other posting, that electronic throttle is adaptive; it has to learn your driving style. That may take up to a couple hundred miles, so be patient. Hope that helps, and enjoy your new Snake!

Yes its an 08, I will check the diff butI want to know what kind of oil to replace it with ?

I cecked out the other thread about the cluncking noise and looked for everything that was mentioned and practically did everything that was there but still I get the same noise.

I drove a friends 08 viper today and heard that he had the same noise, Im guessing it might be normal but im not to sure. Ill e seeing my cousine tomorrow to check out his ACR and see if he has the same noise.

Thanks for your input :)

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes its an 08, I will check the diff butI want to know what kind of oil to replace it with ?

I cecked out the other thread about the cluncking noise and looked for everything that was mentioned and practically did everything that was there but still I get the same noise.

I drove a friends 08 viper today and heard that he had the same noise, Im guessing it might be normal but im not to sure. Ill e seeing my cousine tomorrow to check out his ACR and see if he has the same noise.

Thanks for your input :)
M_viper,
Diff oil should be severe gear75-140 (Mopar factory fill, if you can get it). On the clunking, if you checked all the points mentioned, and found nothing loose, the best I can tell you is to re-check later and see if something loosens up enough to be noticeable. How many miles on the car, as of now?

1badsrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket gears? Gear whine is fairly common with upgraded gears. Its nothing to worry about persay, its just an awful noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang