whistle from the rear.... problem???

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, Ok so I went on my first long drive in my Viper (800 mile round trip). On the way back I started to hear a slight whistle (coming from the rear of the car) when I applied very slight throttle, when I pushed it farther down the noise would stop. This was more noticeable in 6th gear then any other. I remember a while back seeing a thred on this but I could not find it and can not remember what the problem was or if indeed it was a problem? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

The drive was amazing btw and surprisingly very comfortable! I have no idea what some people (mainly review articles) are talking about, the only car I have been more comfortable in is my dads Ram SRT10 but that has huge big lounge chairs in it! :D

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I take it no one knows why it is making this noice? Or if it is a problem or not?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you hear it when the car is idling, I had a slight noise from the fuel pump on one of my previous cars that was not noticeable when you applied throttle

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably gear whine coming from the rear end. What I noticed on both my GTS and 06 Coupe it happends at around 60MPH, if you let off the gas it goes away, or you accelerate slightly it comes back and gradually disappears as you go another 5 mph or so faster.

It the GTS it was louder than in the coupe. From what I understand this is normal.

Just crank the stereo! Enjoy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car started to wheeze after I installed smooth tubes. I thought the wheezing was coming from the rear until I had a passenger ride along with me and we noticed it came from the air box. It's normal for smooth tubes. Hope this helps.

- Tony

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys I think it is coming from the rear end, so what jkviper said sounds about right. Im not sure if it is speed related but defiantly throttle, ill have a look at the speedo next time.

I have just put in smooth tubes as well so ill take another listen just to see if my ears have been deceiving me and its coming from the intake.

Paviper there is no noise when the car idles so i dont think fuel pump.
Thank you all for the input!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a leak between an exhaust tip and pipe or a crack sucking air to whistle. Rub the pipes down with some Preperation H maybe shrink it back. Hard to get to the answer without hearing it and I looked for a post you were talk'n about and don't see one either.:D :2tu:

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I know it is hard without hearing the noise, and i have probably not explained it great! Here is another try........
The whistle sounds like it is from something spinning as it is not a steady whistle, it has a kind of loping sound to it then as i accelerate the whistle loses its loping sound and the pitch gets higher and then disappears. This only happens when the car is in gear and driving. I hear it most in the high gears and only at low rpm.

This may just make it more confusing but ah well!

Thanks for trying to help me out guys

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMFG!!!! its your intake!!!! :brick:

Smooth tubes+acceleration+disappearing at high rpms= NACA DUCT WHISTLE!!!!!

ride on your hood and let somebody else drive :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a rear diff problem!

You hear it in the high gears and at low rpm because the engine is more quiet.

Right?

If you drive and press the clutch when hearing the sound - let the car roll - you should notice the noise coming from the back - engine and exhaust is quiet during idling and rolling.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the intake whine. It was noticable immediately after install of smooth tubes. I have heard a differential whine-I am hoping it is your intake as this is normal (although I hate the sound). The rear end could be more problematic. Take someone else for a ride for another opinion OR ride in another car with smooth tubes for comparison.

Kurt E

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don’t think it is the intake.

Vipergts sounds about right, when (if) it stops raining here (I live in Scotland) I will take it out and see if the noise is still there when i push the clutch in.
To me it sounds like it is coming from the diff so i got under the car just to have a look and there is a lot of dried up oil on the diff which looks like it had come from the filler plug. I had the diff fluid changed before I got the car 3 months ago. Is it likely to just have spilled over when they were changing it?

When i check the level should it be filled right up to the filler hole?

Kurt E, I wish i could take a ride in another one but not so many around these parts.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming please :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't add the friction modifier when you had the lube changed or didn't use the proper lube.

Hmmmmm it was done at valaya racing so I would hope they would not make a mistake like that.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its sounds just like the rear...nothing to worry about, mine did the same thing until I changed exhaust and couldn't hear it anymore:drive:

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its sounds just like the rear...nothing to worry about, mine did the same thing until I changed exhaust and couldn't hear it anymore:drive:

Ok now thats the kind of thing I was hoping to hear!

I already have RT Cats and corsa exhaust so maybe time to get headers and lose the cats :D

Thanks to everyone who has had an opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4