Whistle noise under acceleration??

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just took my car out this weekend (2000 GTS).
I noticed under acceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM I get a high pitch squeal. Sounds exactly like brakes squealing, except it's while I'm pushing the go pedal, not the stop pedal.
Now I've just installed B&B cat back and Roe tubes and filters.
I was thinking it's an exhaust leak that's soo small it's making a whistle while accelerating. Has anyone else had a similar experience.
I may have to re-adjust my connections on the cat back and if there is an exhaust leak, it should be visible if I look at the pipes, correct?
Thanks in advance!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the filters out completely for a run around the block. My Viper sounds like a Ferrari intake, same whistle! I wish there was some way to keep the sound and still have filters. The K&N's let a small amount of the whistle through, this is probably what you're hearing.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was something to do with the intake also, but my 94 RT has K&N's and tubes and I do not hear this.

But right after I installed the cat back, while sitting at an idle in my driveway I could see alittle drible of water and black **** dropping on my driveway, coming from about where the half shafts are, so I assumed that's likely exhaust. I've gotta throw it up on the jack stands again and take a closer look, because mine doesn't have the Ferrari effect, it has the ****** effect like a wheel bearing noise or more specifically brake noise under ecceleration (not cool).
Sure would like other opinions please.

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 99 does the same thing. I took it to the dealer and he said it was exhaust but I read on a thread that it is the K&N's that are responsible. They allow more air in under acceleration creating a whistling sound. I thought it was belt noise but now I know it is the air filter. Does anyone out there have a filter setup that does not squeak? Good luck.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the smooth tubes! It's more pronounced on the Gen 2 cars because of the NACA duct on the hood. Your OK!

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you guys know if it's as loud when you hear the car go by, as it is in the car??

The brakes are annoying enough, never mind having to listen to the squeeking under acceleration!

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just think of it as the sound of the supercharger you don't have :) mine does the exact same thing and everone asks if it is a supercharger. I just smile and walk away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery