Whistle sound

S

Stang7900

I am new to the board, have a 99 rt and changed to smooth tubes and s&b filters. Now I seem to have a vacuum whistle sound under heavy acceleration.
I checked all the hoses I took off to no avail. Anybody else seen/heard of this problem?
I am not sure if what I did is the cause, since I only just noticed it now that the hard top is off. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Steve Milia

OP
OP
S

Stang7900

Are you kidding or what? I thought it was a vacuum leak!!

Steve

OP
OP
S

Stang7900

How does it sound with the muffler removed? Is it seperate pipes?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds great without the muffler and about 10 more hp. Lotsa folks do it. Not too loud and a little throatier. Have a muffler shop cut it off and replace it with pipes for about $100. Drive around with the rear glass out to listen to it. If it isn't loud enough then go with a built system.

OP
OP
S

Stang7900

I will do that as soon as the weather breaks here on Long Island. Do you have a crossover pipe welded in also?

Steve

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's some pretty cool info there. Only problem is for someone like me who's a night owl this would likely cause fits with my not-so-friendly neighbors if I fire it up (I sometimes take off at 3 am to run to the Circle K for snacks). I already think my CLK is loud and boomy - I couldn't imagine this!

When I get my Viper someday I'll probably take the muffler out as well. Until then...sigh.

REMIX :)

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stang if you want E-mail me at [email protected] i live in setauket and have made some changes to my car and also have the whistleing sound. Maybe we can meet up one day I may be going to Tobay beach this weekend for the car gathering if it is nice

Clinton