Who has a GTS w/ side pipes?

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One winter project I am contemplating is a new exhaust. I am thinking about a sidepipe conversion, but I have a few questions:
1. What did you use to fill in that muffler hole in the rear?
2. Did that mid-rpm resonance go away?
3. Which side panels did you use?
4. Would you do it again?
5. What is your setup? (headers, cats, mufflers, etc...)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, if you go to a Viper Days event, or call Skip, you will find a ton of "side-pipe" GTS'. I know that Autoform and SVSi and I think TNT make the different variations I have seen.

The problem you will run into is "personal opinion". What I like you might not like. Your best bet is to hear them for yourself. In most cases, I felt that they sounded great, but I like the "race sound".

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the WG event and there were a lot of side pipe cars.I thought they all sounded ratty and not exotic.But music is in the ear of the beholder.I like my 3" Corsa and am thinking about going cat less. Bruce

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Leave the pipe vent open. It makes an excellent area for the differential cooler to blow through should you ever install one. I actually put my tow hitch in there as well (remounted the Setrab cooler unit flush rather than in the windstream as originally installed) when I towed my tires to the track. There is no expression like that on the face of a guy who just got lapped in his new 360 Maranello by a car that tows it's own tires.

2.) Yes. Couldn't hear it at all after taking out the mufflers in each side, too loud ;).

3.) Autoform fiberglass Gen I panels.

4.) Absolutely. Great look, gets the heat of off your differential and is essential if you are going to mount a trailer hitch on your Snake (not important to most folks but if you want to tow your tires and not be a Trailer Queen...).

5.) Stock until the mufflers were cut out, then a simple turn out. Replaced the 02 sensor with a Neon sensor, the longer wire has no impedence problems like some setups. Make sure to spray the inside of the sills, exposed frame and exhaust plumbing (except for the cats) with ceramic insualation.

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a great project, easy to do, inexpensive and brings back the original badasp look and its growl. If you click on my avatar you can almost make it out. If someone could teach me how to post some pictures I've got some good views of it. Tom, to answer your questions:

1) I installed a light duty trailer hitch to do like Paul
and haul tires and tools to the track.

2) The drone is unbelievably obnoxious at 1500, 2300 and
3100rpms etc. Definitely an harmonics problem. Like wise
it becomes quite livable at 1000 1800 2600 etc. Of course
anything above 4000 and all hell breaks loose and nobody
is concerned about sound.

3) Same GTS panels. Naturally someone said "Oh don't drill
the original sill you'll have trouble selling the car."
So after fretting for a few days it occurred to me I
bought the car for me, NOT the guy I was going to sell it
to someday!