Who has the fastest Gen.I in the country?

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea who ran the best times or had the highest dyno? There is a green GenI here in Austin that is stroked and has a two stage NOS system and is supposed to make big power , but I don't know much about the car.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably SVS they did a twin turbo. Mine will be up there in a couple of months. Hope to be making 750 RWHP and running mid 10's

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let Gary tell you more (can't remember all the details), but his Gen I DLM supercharged car is making 787 rwhp - no NOS...

You must be registered for see images

He has since painted the added NACA duct and added the vents over the wheel wells to keep everything cooled down properly...

Reaction score
This is what Doug Levin (DLM) can do with a 1995 RT-10 GEN-1: :D

We're talking over 1000hp at the crank...

Very low "10's" in the quarter, and 75mph to 150mph in about 3 seconds!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that sick, that power is sick.

many people dont' understand HP . It's where it's made is the key issue. Peak HP, is a cool bragging number, but that's why 850RWHP Supras get beat by 600RWHP vipers....

Exec, your car makes 700HP at 3,300RPM. Egads! Unreal. A GenI also!! I remember my first 94RT DLM did. That was my FAVORITE !!!

Race any bikes yet?

Exec,

I DARE you to Dyno that car in "normal" weather.. Not 100 Degree Dyno room temp Miami weather.. How are you liking your car? We never hear any stories!!! :(
G

Reaction score
t How are you liking your car? We never hear any stories!!! :(
G

I love the car!!!!!!!

The best part about the DLM upgrade is the fact that it is actually smoother running (non-boost) than it was when it was "stock". It purrs like a kitten, until you boost. Boost is when all he!! breaks loose!!

I've not only beat everything I've raced (including two bikes), but I've won first place at every car show I've entered (and been part of judging). I even won a "Best Engine" award out of 650+ cars, thanks to DLM and Jerry Wolfe. I know, however, that there are some GEN-2 Vipers out there that would have me for lunch!

Doug said he could get "a lot more horsepower" out of my car if I were interested. I think I'm happy with what I've got. I really am beginning to believe there IS a limit to horsepower, at least for me!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good god! Did you upgrade the half shafts? I would think that kind of power id really pushing the limits of the rear end!

Reaction score
good god! Did you upgrade the half shafts? I would think that kind of power id really pushing the limits of the rear end!

It's pushing the Viper's rear end as well as mine!

Actually, Doug replaced the half-shafts with some really strong ones from JonB. I get a little rough sometimes with my car (always forces me to order new rear tires!), and everything is holding tight...

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are excellent numbers for Gen I!!! Doug builds them tough. Executron nice car :eek:

-Lou

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Exec,

With a car that powerful (your Gen I) does it become no good for track events like road coursing where you are always on and off the throttle for 20 to 30 minutes straight? Would you car blow up or overheat doing this on a 90 degree day?

I ask because when I was thinking of super or turbo charging my current corvette, I was told that it would be a bad idea since I road coursed the car at tracks quite frequently. I was told the heat build up would be too much and the power comes on and off in irregular times.

Witht he Viper, I have to ask, because things are so different. First, people are supercharging their cars with stock bottom ends, which you would almost never consider on the vette -- so, how badly can you beat up your car on a track without overheating or something going bad? I ask because I would love to have an extra 200 to 300 HP at the rear wheels and still be able to track my Gen I car.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what Doug Levin (DLM) can do with a 1995 RT-10 GEN-1: :D

We're talking over 1000hp at the crank...

Very low "10's" in the quarter, and 75mph to 150mph in about 3 seconds!

Hey Exec,

What can one expect to pay to have his Gen I motor built up to something like yours, at DLM? Ball park figure would be nice.

Also, is your car hard to drive? Does it lope like crazy?

Reaction score
Hi Superbar:

My DLM Viper is very very very reliable. I drive it almost every day. It is not overly lopey at all. Actually it's a lot smoother than it was stock (Viper lurch gone...).

As for the track, it is more than reliable enough. I have raced around Sears Point a lot (45 mins from my home), but only once on the new engine. For me it has too much torque for my driving style. I'm just not good enough to re-adapt to 819 RWTQ. I spin to much just after coming out of a turn. The engine would survive, but I won't. I say "Go For It!!"...

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can one expect to pay to have his Gen I motor built up to something like yours, at DLM? Ball park figure would be nice.

I'm curious too? That is awfully enticing!

What has been done other than the supercharger?

Reaction score
What has been done other than the supercharger?

To be honest, Doug likes to talk price himself. Each car is different, so each price is different. I must respect his wishes on the "Money" topic. However, I'll take a chance and say that I could have purchased just about any new American luxury car off the lot for what my engine project cost me ($##,###.00). Doug is very fair, so I could have paid a lot more elsewhere for the same thing. It's just that no one else can do what Doug does...

As for what else was done, it was just about everything. You can't just bolt that much extra H.P. onto a car and leave everything else stock (so be prepared!!). My drivetrain has been updated to a "Heavy-Duty" class, and MOST IMPORTANT I updated my braking system to STOP•TECH. No use going that fast unless you can stop! :eek:

I also had to reinforce such things as my door speakers and anything bolted down in the trunk (stereo, alarm, etc.). This car can accelerate in such a violent manner that it just tears things apart unless they are heavily secured. :p This also includes 5-point harness and bracing the seat hardware a bit more to keep the seats from busting when you nail it.!

need4spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
exec, you are making it even harder for me to wait on my DLM gen 1. i'm looking forward to a car where everything has to be bolted down or reinforced in order to get on it! your car is impressive and you are right about the brakes. it's a "HAVE TO" upgrade! kyle

Reaction score
exec, you are making it even harder for me to wait on my DLM gen 1. i'm looking forward to a car where everything has to be bolted down or reinforced in order to get on it! your car is impressive and you are right about the brakes. it's a "HAVE TO" upgrade! kyle

I forgot to mention that you should keep a few extra rear tires around, as they don't last very long! It's the whole "fish-tail at 145mph" thing. :eek:

I don't want to twist the car in half, so I've settled on changing the Pilots on the rear more often as opposed to getting stickier tires (Kuhmos). For me, tire spin acts like a drivetrain "fuse"... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32