Who makes the best Headers for the Viper ??

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on my research it seems that more Viper owners are running Belanger Headers than any other..I have an opportunity to buy a set of B&B headers for a great price.

Would this be a wise choice ?? What do you reccomend ?

Thanks !

Cheers
Jeff

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've gathered there doesn't seem to be much difference between each make as far as performance. I have Belangers and it installed like butter. The main thing is the choose the correct primary size for what you intend to do with the car.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belangers...but B and B would be a good choice, too. Nothing wrong with them.
Belangers will produce more low end torque than the other headers. The stepped headers with the burns collectors will produce the most high RPM HP.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If performance is roughly equal, then it would come down to what sounds the best. I have heard many different types of exhaust for the Viper. Personally, the deep rumble of the Belangers(and 3" Belanger exhaust) is the best sounding to me. We have 24,000 miles on the Belanger set up and still love to make it 'talk' whenever possible. They also are a perfect fit for installation. We did ours in 4 hours start to finish.

Steve

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto - Balenger's fit like a glove. Bought mine from BTR, Dyno at 458 HP (NA)with the Balengers and T&D's. The Balenger's with the aluminized steel (versus stainless) seem to be throatier, especially without the cats..

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Belanger does not offer stainless like the B&B?

Not that I'm aware of. There appear to be 2 schools of thought on the necessity of SS. Certainly for 99.9% of all Vipers, rust-or longevity- is not an issue due to the care and typically favorable conditions they run in. The aluminized jet hot coated Belangers dissipate heat much better than a similar SS system. I have 24K miles on our Belangers(from BTR) with no heat shields and the original plug wires at 31K miles. It is my understanding that most car SS exhaust systems are made from T-304 stainless, hardly a high grade SS. In fact, I've seen T-304 SS pipe which can almost be picked up by a magnet due to the high iron content. My muffler guy tells me he has seen SS systems get brittle and crack due to heat and high iron content. Given the pampered life a Viper's exhaust system sees, aluminized tubing will hold up as well as SS and dissipate heat much better.

Steve

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Belanger does not offer stainless like the B&B?

Not that I'm aware of. There appear to be 2 schools of thought on the necessity of SS. Certainly for 99.9% of all Vipers, rust-or longevity- is not an issue due to the care and typically favorable conditions they run in. The aluminized jet hot coated Belangers dissipate heat much better than a similar SS system. I have 24K miles on our Belangers(from BTR) with no heat shields and the original plug wires at 31K miles. It is my understanding that most car SS exhaust systems are made from T-304 stainless, hardly a high grade SS. In fact, I've seen T-304 SS pipe which can almost be picked up by a magnet due to the high iron content. My muffler guy tells me he has seen SS systems get brittle and crack due to heat and high iron content. Given the pampered life a Viper's exhaust system sees, aluminized tubing will hold up as well as SS and dissipate heat much better.

Steve

Thanks for all the lessons on exhaust, Steve!! We're getting Belangers put on as I type this. Can't wait! :cool:

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
B&B makes both 5 into 1 headers and tri-y Belanger clones but in stainless.

The tri-y style fit without cutting the car. Some 5 into 1 require some cuts.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get a deal on B&B get them. They are all about the same as far as performance goes. I prefer stainless stell myself but that is a personal choice. Belanger look great and are easy to install. I have tested 3 kinds B&B, 2 kinds of Borla, Belanger, and Edelbrock headers and they all test out within 5 hp of each other. For higher hp cars I prefer the bigger B&B set up

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the full Belanger header/exhaust system. Sounds great, looks awesome, simple to install. The fact that they are not SS, however, still doesn't sit quite right with me. Anyway, 20,000 miles and no problems. Great mod!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are the Belangers "mild steel" with an aluminum coating then JetHot coated?
Or is the JetHot the aluminized coating?
Thanks

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are the Belangers "mild steel" with an aluminum coating then JetHot coated?
Or is the JetHot the aluminized coating?
Thanks

I believe the header tubing is aluminized to start with and then jet hot coated. The 3" exhaust pipe is also aluminized tubing.

Thanks for all the lessons on exhaust, Steve!! We're getting Belangers put on as I type this. Can't wait!

Your welcome Tracy. I know a little, but am certainly no expert. We sure like the addition to our car. With rear exhaust, at highway speeds, it's actually pretty quiet--relatively speaking. Snow is predicted here the next two days. Being down 'south', you'll probably get a few more miles in this year than us.
Good luck with the Belangers. They really wake the car up and make it sound like it should.

Steve

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has B&B headers and B&B exhaust. The headers were JetHot coated. They seem to work pretty good, and the whole system sounds wild. :cool:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18headers.jpg

belangers, a work of art ashame to fit them

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's that torpedo shaped thing in the collector?
Who makes the 90 degree pipe and flange to mate up to the collector?
Thanks, still broadening my header knowledge :)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Can you supply a pic of the front side of the headers and provide the "particulars"?
Thanks

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tri-y is a nice set-up, I have it on mine, but if you don't mind cost and want the top of the line I would have to say talk to Ron Jr. or SR. @ SvSi That header alone with no other mods makes the the most WRHP guys!!!!!!!!! bar none! Don't take it from me ask to see the dyno #'s. Every time I look at my Tri-y's I say "!@#$ I should have spent the extra money and got the SvSi. Check out their site. :smirk:

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A ViperJoe thats called a "pickle" and the elbows come with the headers along with gaskets and bolts. it helps out the scavenging effect. Talk to Tom @ BTR for more info

ggc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Edelbrock is an older design header which produces pretty good midrange performance, but a little less max HP than some of the more recent design headers. Sounds very good particularly if cats are removed. Quality is very good. Should consider if you need to maintain emissions on your car and if you do, edelbrock will allow that. If you want max performance it is probably not your best choice.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this header choice field is REALLY gettin crowded!
Let's see:
Belanger
Edelbrock
SVSi
B&B
Borla
ViperMed's new set
Whew!!! How the H3LL do you decide???
I "guess" I want low to midrange power and torque right?

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got to ask yourself what do you plan to do with the car? Road race, Street, Strip, Street & Strip, S/C, N.O.S. When you decide about that you need to talk to that tuner on what works best with you future set-up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang