Who sells the best chin guard?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says, who sells the best chin guard? I am pretty fortunate that I do not have a steep driveway but figured it is probably a good idea anyway. I assume most of them require no drilling etc...

Will probably get some nice mats and MGW stuff eventually too. I know about George from MGW and Jon B, is there any other good vendors I should be looking at? Thanks guys.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one from Snake Oyl products and was not particularly happy with it. It mounted on existing bolts, but the prongs were pretty pointed and I kept hitting my ankle on it getting around the car in the close quarters of my garage. I eventually hit a curb directly on the prongs of the chin guard and it bent down and drug on the ground the rest of the drive home. The chin guard scraped paint off the facia, but it could just as well of punctured it. I am not sure that 3M Clear Guard is not a better solution to minor facia scratches.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just learn how to drive it at 45 degree angles with slopes and you really don't need one. They look on the car odd IMO.

D

DAMN YANKEE

I use this one. Easy to install (DONT back the bolts all the way out). I applied some clear protective film under each individual tong. After seven (7) years, I've seen it handle just about everything. Why is it better than others....well, the most vulnerable place is the thin facia edge running from side to side, not the actual underside of the "chin". You can see how this unit protects this delicate "lip" area in the lower photo. Using this, the tongs actually lifts the flexable thin edge, allowing the fascia to ride over most obstacles.

As to learning to avoid these obstacles, or master some techique to drive through them...IMO, if you are going to drive a car this low, your going to wish you had something at some point "down the road".....

Works...

http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17487&cat=288&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grcforce327

I have the Snakeoyl one also,and spent a couple bucks and had it powdercoated red.:D

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed. If you have owned and driven lo-pro car like vettes,etc... Chances are you'll be fine... I do NOT have any chin guard on my car, and with 14k miles. There are ZERO scratches under the chin. Never been painted either.. I back the car into my driveway.

Just learn how to drive it at 45 degree angles with slopes and you really don't need one. They look on the car odd IMO.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Hmmm...good point...I hadn't really considered that but it actually makes great sense....I could back over everything that is a potential risk or even come at it at 45 degrees...or better yet, back over it at 45 degrees....slowly...like I'm in a Vette....when you drive backwards the speed bumps become considerable less high when they reach the front fascia.....
There is a gas station right off the highway I could practice on...the quickly turning around and backing into the gas station at 45 degrees part.

I'm taken mine off tonight! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid me, I just figured I'd chisel the curb to my driveway and argue with the city later or place 2 x 4's down so that I could roll out easier while obstructing traffic in the street like some sort of diva.....I tried the backing in thing....I nearly began crying with all the scraping I could hear.

Regards,
Aaron

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I did on mine was the molding i mentioned in another thread. The part that most often hits is that part that sticks straight down..and my mod protects from that. I can try to take a pic when I am home this afternoon.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid me, I just figured I'd chisel the curb to my driveway and argue with the city later or place 2 x 4's down so that I could roll out easier while obstructing traffic in the street like some sort of diva.....I tried the backing in thing....I nearly began crying with all the scraping I could hear.

Regards,
Aaron

Jack hammer...you can rent them from Home Depot for $40/day. I took a jack hammer to the apron of my driveway right after I got the Viper and got my first (and last) scrape on the lip of my fascia. Borrowed a few wheel barrows of ashphalt from my neighbor as his driveway was being repaved and problem solved. I tried the backing in thing...it just didn't seem right. It made me feel inadequate. :)

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I did on mine was the molding i mentioned in another thread. The part that most often hits is that part that sticks straight down..and my mod protects from that. I can try to take a pic when I am home this afternoon.

I have not had a problem with the Z06 so if I can get away without it that would be great. Where did you pick up that molding from Matt? Home Depot or Lowes? I would love to see some pics so I can pick some up. :2tu:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank...I'll take a pic on my Viper. but...these are the moldings.

http://www.autobarn.net/dooredmol.html

I use the clear ones....any auto parts store should have them. They come two in a set, work it over the lip and go as far as the molding is long...starting in the center and working outward. On my GTS, they come to where the factory plastic protective spats are.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank...I'll take a pic on my Viper. but...these are the moldings.

http://www.autobarn.net/dooredmol.html

I use the clear ones....any auto parts store should have them. They come two in a set, work it over the lip and go as far as the molding is long...starting in the center and working outward. On my GTS, they come to where the factory plastic protective spats are.

I've used the same. Ran it along the entire vertical lip. Works great, is easy to replace and is cheap. I find I'm usually only catching the outermost corners and even then it is rare.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of the Snake Oyl 3-pronged protectors. If you want me to bring it to the Crab Feast so you can look at it, let me know.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have your answer, but if they don't work out try this:

news1179873327.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery