Who to use to Powder Coat Calipers?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting my winter project. Going to powder coat all 4 calipers. I think R&J does this. Anyone have any other recommendations?

2001 GTS Race Yellow

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have powdercoating services as well. Additional services such as photographic film application is right around the corner, which would allow you to put patterns on various types on parts. Sorry though, no exchange services through us. You will get your own parts back.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have received powdercoated non-ABS rear calipers that were not disassembled for the coating process. There are plastic ball bearing cages inside, as well as the rubber piston seals, an o-ring on the threaded rod (the part you screw the piston down on), an o-ring out the back for the brake lever... Most times this seems to work, but I have seen some of the rubbers show a re-molded look where they were partially melted, but apparently worked OK. At some point the elevated temperature will cause serious problems that won't be apparent until you install and test the brakes.

I think coaters do this because it is complicated and time-consuming to disassemble and reassemble the non-ABS rear caliper. Ask your powdercoat supplier what they do first.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have received powdercoated non-ABS rear calipers that were not disassembled for the coating process. There are plastic ball bearing cages inside, as well as the rubber piston seals, an o-ring on the threaded rod (the part you screw the piston down on), an o-ring out the back for the brake lever... Most times this seems to work, but I have seen some of the rubbers show a re-molded look where they were partially melted, but apparently worked OK. At some point the elevated temperature will cause serious problems that won't be apparent until you install and test the brakes.

I think coaters do this because it is complicated and time-consuming to disassemble and reassemble the non-ABS rear caliper. Ask your powdercoat supplier what they do first.

absolutely true. MAKE SURE that whoever does your calipers, takes them apart, does the powdercoating, then rebuilds them.

R&J DOES THIS. i am willing to bet that most shops will not. be sure to ask!

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point. Anyone do their own "rebuild" of the calipers? I have SRT front brakes and transplanted Gen2 fronts on my rear.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps one way you can tell if they disassemble and reassemble the rear calipers is by price. There should be at least an added hour of labor (over that of the fronts) to powdercoat the rears to account for time and materials needed.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do them also. Full breakdown and rebuild using new parts if needed.

Disassemble Johnny-5, soak in laquer thinner for a day, bead blast, clean again, use powder of your color, bake, reassemble Johnny-5, (with new seals if needed,) install "Viper" badge of your color, ship.:D :2tu:

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
R&J did mine a few years ago and i am still very pleased.

Are they body-matched, or did you go with black or another color? I have a red RT/10 and if I'm going to have the calipers painted red, I'd like them to be close enough to the body color so that they don't look out of place.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they body-matched, or did you go with black or another color? I have a red RT/10 and if I'm going to have the calipers painted red, I'd like them to be close enough to the body color so that they don't look out of place.

mine were done in red and they are very close in color. they also put a "viper" logo on the caliper colored in a glittery silver metallic. they also did my rotors for me.

7911MVC-021S.JPG

7911MVC-020S.JPG

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those look gorgeous!

Did you do the parts exchange, or were those yours? Either way, how long did you have to wait?

My valve covers are starting to flake/peel, so I may just have the calipers and rotors done at the same time since the car will be offline anyway.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look gorgeous!

Did you do the parts exchange, or were those yours? Either way, how long did you have to wait?

My valve covers are starting to flake/peel, so I may just have the calipers and rotors done at the same time since the car will be offline anyway.

i gave R&J mine and waited. to be honest, i dont remember how long it took. i had mine done quite awhile ago. powdercoating is definately the way to go and worth any wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang