Who would win? A 425 rwhp/475rwtq or 475rwhp/400 rwtq car?

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a 425 hp/475 tq car, or a 475 hp/400rwtq have the advantage in a race?

Would it be the horsepower or the torque?

(Based on cars that are the same weight and gearing ect.)

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With optimal gearing, power (not just peak but the range of the power band) is the only thing that matters.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The higher HP would win. High torque means you could move/pull a given weight easier than a lower torque car, but doesn't reflect how fast that engine accelerates the weight. Semi-trucks don't win drag races.. Two strokes for example have very little torque, but out accelerate comparable 4 strokes all day long. F1 cars have very little torque. I'd bet on the high HP car, as far as the general hp vs tq question goes. The real question is how quick the engine revs after every shift through that narrow rpm range to the next shift point.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't tell from your information. It is based on the area under the horsepower curve in the rpm range where it would run. In general I would say the higher power car will win. However, if the power is "peaky" or the car is poorly geared (wide ratios), then the higher torque car, with presumably a wide flat torque curve, would do well.

Something also lost in this is that the lower torque car can have lighter driveline components which may provide even higher effective power (i.e. the driveline inertia consuming less power).

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the area under the power curve within the gear changes, so as Chris said, given the same car weight and gearing, it's not automatically the higher power car.

Imagine a 1-speed transmission and a 250 horse, 1000lb-ft diesel vs a 900 hp, 300lb-ft F1 engine and which would win.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best drag race engine builders aim for and dyno test for the quickest rise-time through the rpm range the car will see in each gear going down the track.

A weight lifter might pick up 100lbs easier than a sprinter, but he wouldn't outrun the sprinter just because he picked it up easier. (100 lbs not overloading the sprinter..)

Endless oddball combinations favoring one or the other don't address the central point of the question.

- I recently read a website that said the torque vs horpsepower debate fills up the forums the most :)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No-no, MOJO
You must be registered for see images

(This can go on forever..) I remember a choice of enduro motorcycles overseas. A 200cc Honda 4stroke, and a 125cc Kawasaki 2 stroke. I'd rented a Kawasaki before and it was quick, but had no torque, even on the mildest of uphills you had to be in first gear when off-road.

So I bought the 200cc Honda knowing it would have more torque for off-road use.

Even being 75cc smaller than the Honda (giving up almost half the displacement) the Kawasaki would just smoke the Honda in a drag race though, and both were in the same general state of tune. (neither being high-strung MX bikes, just mild enduros)

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with all the above said, that is why an aluminum fly wheel makes a car quicker? Allows it to rev faster through its range, whatever that may be for that particular car?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are talking about typical V8s or the Viper V10, I'd bet on the 475hp car.
You didn't mention the rpm and that's important but if both cars get their hp peak at about 5k rpm and they are both typical street engines, the higher hp is going to win.

For a good text on this, look at,

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

They have a comparison of these Chevy sb engines
LT1 300hp @5000 rpm 340 ft/lb at 3600 rpm
L98 250hp @5000 rpm 340 ft/lb at 3200 rpm

They also have a very good run down as to what horsepower, torque and rpm really mean to you.

You can't just say hp wins races or torque wins races. You need to know what the curve look's like.