who's has used "low profile spring caps?"

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: who\'s has used

Me too. This may be an opportunity to buy some of the smaller ratchet straps. I can't see using the 2" straps for the trailer - way too big.

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dan Cragin installed my spring caps late last year. I am sure he looked at them during install to ensure they sit level on the spring under load. I will ping him to see if he can comment.

So far I've been pleased with the change, no issues with shocks or travel. You will need a four wheel alignment after install.

jm

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you guys have any idea what will happen if the straps or china spring compressors fail? You will at best loose your nose or an eye. That is if you are lucky. I have a friend that lost more than that. After reconstruction he no longer looks like himself. A real spring compressor bolts to a wall and has an acme screw that pushed down on the spring. This tools cost about $800.00. I can not understand why on earth you do not take the spring/shock assemblies to a muffler or repair shop that will most likly charge you a hours labor. Hell we have $100,000.00 cars and we are cheaping out on spending $80.00 at best to have it done right. I do not want to see any of you getting hurt. DO IT RIGHT!

Robbie

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie, are you implying the the $26.00 spring compressor I bought is not high quality:-(

Just kidding, your right. I think have a professional do it.

The problem is finding the professional. The Dodge dealer I deal with, the alignment guy is new and has never worked on a Viper before. He was trying to tell me the other day that, because Vipers are so low to the ground they don’t have camber adjustments. WTH
The other dealer near me is so big that the Viper is just another Dodge to them. The best bet for me is to take a day trip to Macedo Motorsports in Orlando and have Larry do it. I just need to coordinate my schedule with Larry’s.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like I have said before most dodge dealers are not viper certified and are morons. Believe me the car has adjustments for caster, camber, and toe.If you can find a Midas Muffler or any tire/repair shop they will have the spring compressor. Just look for a 4FT TALL COMPRESSOR MOUNTED TO THE WALL.

Robbie

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Believe me the car has adjustments for caster, camber, and toe.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Believe me the car has adjustments for caster, camber, and toe.

I am not!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can repeat the BE CAREFUL posts above. While changing out the left rear spring cap one of the compressors slipped. IF MY FINGERS HAD BEEN IN THERE.....

We are talking about explosive force.

It can be done (I finished the other three) but you should make sure the compressors are PERFECTLY secure and 180 degrees opposite each other, AND use screwdrivers and pliers to remove and insert the caps.

By the way, this mod is not worth $350 ($250 for the caps and $100 to have a shop install them. I measured the drop and saying it was 1/2" would be generous.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Strange. I've changed my mind.

They do seem to make the car look lower. Average people wouln't notice, but now the car doesn't have that obvious 4x4 look between the tire and fenders. I guess it took some extra time for the car to re-settle.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make up you mind Viperfreak2:) Just kidding.

Your other post talked me out of putting them on, and now I want to do it again. That’s the look I want. The average Joe couldn’t say what looks better, just that it does. Thanks Viperfreak2.

As far as pics, when I stared the job to put the lowering caps on myself, I took a few side shots so I could post some before and after shots. FYI for anybody in the future. I still try and do it.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Any risk that these spring caps fail going over a pothole or something, since they are cut-down? (I mean, why did Dodge make them so thick to begin with?)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The machined aluminum billet is probably as strong as the OE pieces, but I'm no expert. If someone knows the strength specs....chime in. I'll take some pictures this afternoon and hopefully have them up here tomorrow. I'm gonna try to take the picture in the same place as an old one, to get a 'before and after' effect.
3104Picture_086-med.jpg

Here's a BEFORE

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

that is before? If so that is much lower than mine. That doesnt look stock to me.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Bridgestone Enzo tires in the back. It makes a difference, and the caps make a little more.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought the tread looked different, but the car does look lower than stock, as is.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know I said I'd take 'after' pictures (yesterday) but we caught some of the outer edges of Alberto, so it rained all day. I was supposed to go tubing down the Green river in 90 degree sunshine......that didn't work out either! I'll try this afternoon.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is my car stock... Big difference in the tire to fender gap than yours.

9384DSC02897-med.JPG

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm going to see if Dodge will put mine on tomorrow. I have some before shots already taken.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The BEFORE picture (again)

3104Picture_086-med.jpg

3104After_lowering21-med.JPG

The AFTER picture! It looks HIGHER to me too......Maybe the lighting?????

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Viperfreak2, Hard to tell. I think the trick for the second yard picture is to take the shot when the sun is at the same angle. Note: see the shadow. I do think it looks better though.

I dropped the Viper off this morning, at the Dodge dealer to change out the power steering, and asked if they could install the lowering caps and the caps came back negative. Which I figured they wouldn’t do.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It does look a bit lower but frankly i still cant believe how low your car was prior to the install. Is it just me or do others think it is lower than the average Viper? My suspension is atleast an 1 1/2 higher than his prior picture.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it's all the tires. The Bridgestones are 345 35's (from memory) and I was shocked at the difference between a 30 and 35 series tire. It's emormous! I didn't even think the tires would fit, but they do. The extra tire sidewall sure does fill up the wheel house gap. Another good thing about the Bridgestones: they ride better (non-runcrap) AND they are wearing better (10,000 miles and barely 50% worn) while the original Michelins were GONE at about 14,000 miles. AND they were lots cheaper.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think it's all the tires. The Bridgestones are 345 35's (from memory) and I was shocked at the difference between a 30 and 35 series tire. It's emormous! I didn't even think the tires would fit, but they do. The extra tire sidewall sure does fill up the wheel house gap. Another good thing about the Bridgestones: they ride better (non-runcrap) AND they are wearing better (10,000 miles and barely 50% worn) while the original Michelins were GONE at about 14,000 miles. AND they were lots cheaper.

This is a cool find ...

I'm gonna research the tire height differences ... suprised to hear they are wearing better too, because the treadwear rating is only 140 ... but that varies among tire companies

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What are you running up front? Does Bridgestone make a companion tire that is the right size? As far as I know the stock Enzo front is too small.

Thanks for doing this. I had found that tire a while back and wondered if it would work---now I know.