Who's keeping their SRT 100% stock?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GoFastR;

I wrestled with the same delimna, however I have limited all my mods to ONLY those I can bolt on and I do not modify stock parts that came on the car. If I want to mod any piece, I buy another stock piece, modify that and then take the original off, store it and bubble wrap it. Yes, it makes modifying this way very expensive, but it does give me the piece of mind that I can return the car to 100% stock in the future. You just never know if these cars will truly be worth big bucks down the road in 25 years.

Not sure if that helps but that is my story.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point. I kept every stock piece i took off. it is filling up my basement fast.

GoFastR;

I wrestled with the same delimna, however I have limited all my mods to ONLY those I can bolt on and I do not modify stock parts that came on the car. If I want to mod any piece, I buy another stock piece, modify that and then take the original off, store it and bubble wrap it. Yes, it makes modifying this way very expensive, but it does give me the piece of mind that I can return the car to 100% stock in the future. You just never know if these cars will truly be worth big bucks down the road in 25 years.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GoFastR;

So all you have to worry about now is keeping the kids and pets off the original hood for the next 20 years?

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO The only things that need to be modified on the 09 are the car sound and an ipod itegration kit .

I will be adding the Corsa track to fix this issue.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35,000 miles of stockness here. Unlike a lot of garage queens here I daily drive mine. Never have had a heat issue. Lived in a vegas summer and palm desert summer. Just keep it on recirculate. I always get asked what the maintenance on the car and I tell them I have to buff out the high heel marks on the passengers side weekly. :)

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I usually keep my the way they were built. But, the post about the GenIV exhaust will bolt up to the GenIII has me thinking. :ok:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry guys but mine's better than stock. More power, more traction, better brakes, lighter/billet wheels, TPMS, nav, Bluetooth (required by law next month), HID lights, double the stock hp, more reliable because of stronger parts/axles/clutch/flywheel/SS brakelines/pedal covers, shifter, SRX radar detector (for the safety messages of course), awesome sounding exhaust, stereo upgraded, etc. etc. Although dodge builds a good car (world's fastest) - mine is better. Although I'm sure there has been about $200,000 through my car it is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for a Ferrari or Murci either.

Ted

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, no matter what car, why would anyone want to keep it stock?

The factory has certain limitations and boundaries it can't cross...why not take advantage of the fact that you can, especially in a way tailored to your specific needs(speed/suspension/appearance/audio etc)?

If I had a brand new Viper, then I might be hesitant to do anything to the engine other than an exhaust setup to stay within the warranty...but tint the windows, buy some wheels, get some fancy floormats...just something to say its your own :)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but stock is accepting someone else's vision and I won't do that. Yeah, choosing the base car as a Viper is making a statement. So is adding your own factory options, colors, and whatnot. Maybe that's enough for some people. Personally, it is not for me. No offense, just my .02.

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are few things that I like more than hanging out in my garage drinking a beer and working on my Viper.

Planned mods:
PS2's, StopTech rotors, braided steel brake lines, flywheel/clutch, widebands/SCT...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone here in SoCal mods theirs in someway. Makes my stocker unique!:D

Dave, so that clear bra came from the factory?? Are you still using the stock run flats?? Mike

I can see leaving the 08+ 600 hp cars stock, but I feel the 03-06 are too damn slow to look that fast. ;)

Nineball, If you think the GenIII's are too slow, you'll feel the same way about the Gen IV's after a couple of months and add headers/exhaust and an ECU

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar controller for some reason(s).
HF cats for better sound.
That's it! Nothing more to modify on a GEN-IV.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 is great from the factory. Only mods: Corsa Exhaust; 6-points from PartsRack; short shifter; windown tint; iPod adapter; mats; SS brake lines and Castrol SRF; and venture shield everywhere where it is needed! I do not want the drone or legal problems associated with headers (I am CA).

The car has plenty of power and I do not want to mess with teh warranty.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '08 is great from the factory. Only mods: Corsa Exhaust; 6-points from PartsRack; short shifter; windown tint; iPod adapter; mats; SS brake lines and Castrol SRF; and venture shield everywhere where it is needed! I do not want the drone or legal problems associated with headers (I am CA).

The car has plenty of power and I do not want to mess with teh warranty.

Great. I noticed that you're not a power ***** and didn't mention blowing away Ferraris, Porsches,etc. so it sounds like you've made your car into exactly what you want, with reservations about 'after warranty'? Another PERFECT Viper, lol.

I'm not sure what legal issues you have with headers in Cal.? I thought the only problem was the huge dollars it cost to get California to 'certify' the different brands? Stock Vipers have come with stock headers ever since the Gen2's so optimized tuned longer tube headers shouldn't be any issue except they make more power, mileage and should be better for emissions.

Ted

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steel braided brake lines, that's it
when it's time to replace the rotors I will upgrade to 2-piece rotors

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock also has different versions/meanings of the word. There's stock as in installing Gen4 exhaust onto Gen 3s. There's installing the Mopar Performance upgraded intake and airbox insulation for the extra 35hp they produce. Those parts would have been installed on the 08s and 09s except that the development time was later. Government rules require very expensive approval certifications and therefor limit improvements to all new cars.

Are you wanting a Government approved stocker (slowest built)? or a Chrysler (SRT engineers) approved stocker???

Ted

In other words; you want an engineered car of you want a Politically correct car like a POS hybrid.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was the word from the SRT engineers at VOI X. He showed us the insulated airbox (you could do it yourself with pink insulation and 200mph tape) and told us that they'd developed the intake manifold internal configuration. The Intake needed to be certified for emissions so it was going to be a MP piece although he said that they were going to try and instal the insulation for the airbox because it may not need certification? He said the insulation didn't actually make any hp, but the much lower intake temps (during driving) would allow the computer to use more timing etc. than without the insulation. I could give you a general descreiption of what it looked like if you want to PM me.
Ted

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that is stock on my GTS is.....the seats and dash. Everything else has been modded. I just traded it for an 05 vert and it will be exactly the same way. I respect guys that want to keep things stock, just never been me. I'm power hungry and live 100 miles from UnderGround Racing. That's a dangerous combo

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, so that clear bra came from the factory?? Are you still using the stock run flats?? Mike

LOL. So I'm not stock. That clear bra adds at least half a pound. :D

Of course, I have the run flats. Actually, I think I have driven more miles on runflats then anyone. And lived to tell about it. ( So far )

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great. I noticed that you're not a power ***** and didn't mention blowing away Ferraris, Porsches,etc. so it sounds like you've made your car into exactly what you want, with reservations about 'after warranty'? Another PERFECT Viper, lol.

I'm not sure what legal issues you have with headers in Cal.? I thought the only problem was the huge dollars it cost to get California to 'certify' the different brands? Stock Vipers have come with stock headers ever since the Gen2's so optimized tuned longer tube headers shouldn't be any issue except they make more power, mileage and should be better for emissions.

Ted

Ahh, have you spent any time on road race tracks? With roughly 620 fwhp in my viper, power is not the issue. Driver ability, downforce, suspension and maybe tires are more relevant.

As to California emissions requirements, they are VERY strict. We have visual and sniffer tests and the bar code on your car is sent directly to the state for a green light pass or a red light fail. No monkey business permitted.

I also do not like the drone of headers on easy throttle roll-ons--all have this. If you add a Venom controller to change your ecm, then you definitely run the risk of voiding the warranty.

That said, we are all free to set our Vipers up as we like! Good luck with yours!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, I've been on a road race track. Greg has the fastest street tired lap time in a 1000rwhp Lambo - so far. He's hoping to beat that with his ACR so yes, hp, tires, downforce are all factors. Mine is not a race car however, it's am 'optimized' street car. A few times to the road course and a couple times to the drag strip will be all I'll do.

My car has No drone with headers and Corsa track exhaust.

Ted

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It it easy go remain close to stock, when you can't afford the really expensive stuff. :)