Why does everyone change?

69gtoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I am new to this forum and considering getting a viper come spring. (I am going to rent one first for a long test drive to make sure I want one) But as I look at ads for these cars so many of them say stuff like "this is my fourth viper and I treat my cars great ..... yada yada yada .... so buy from me ... yada yada yada". So my question is, why do so many viper owners go through so many cars? I am thinking I want a 2003 SRT 10 but get really concerned over this subject. So can anyone help ease my worries and let me know why so many people have text along these lines in their ads? I would actually feel more comfortable if someone said "going through a divorce", or "too many speeding tickets", or just about any other reason for selling.

Thanks

Ron D.
From the Windy City area

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure,
I am on my one and only.
Some people have moved from one gen to another 1 - 2 - 3, while it seems others like the higher HP cars. It is cheaper to buy a car already modded, than to mod it yourself.

After a while, they do feel slow(kinda).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have changed Vipers less than I changed other cars in the past, that's for sure.
I have had 2 GTSs, 1 RT/10 and my current SRT10.
My reason for changing the 1st to 2nd, was color.
2nd was the right timing, when I wasn't sure what I wanted for the next summer.
3rd tried and learned the RT/10 wasn't for me. Didn't plan on buying a RT/10 but got a decent deal on one, so gave it a shot.
4th, wanted to try a SRT10. Really enjoy it, but it's not the Viper that fits me. So I will be moving on to see what's next. What ever I get next will be modded and changes will be made to fit my goals. It would be nice to have the SRT10 as a side kick!

That's just me and my decisions. Other factors play a role for me, one being the mileage on Vipers are a major factor in resale, and I take that into consideration as well.

Having a couple owners is very common in the Viper world. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but research needs to be done as to who owned it, and the condition they kept it in, etc.

Anyways, no doubt I have a 5th Viper in the future, and hopefully a 6th too. :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you would find the same comments on the Vette, Stang, BMW, Porsche....and as you say yada yada yada forms as well!

OP
OP

69gtoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it is as I could best think of it. Though I see a difference between the Vette, TA, Stang, etc cars in that I see (not to create a flame war) that the Viper is at the top of the musclecar ladder. Once you have one, I didn't see much need to swap them out. As mentioned they are so easy to mod and get the power the main reason I would see is to get that base HP gain by generation. So thanks again for all the replies, one of my friends is a certified viper technician for Dodge so I will bring him with to check them out if/when I buy one. I am slightly concerned about the grenading engine comments I have read on this board and will continue to do research to investigate.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my Viper since 2005. Would I get rid of it? It would take a HELL of a deal to make me even consider it. Am I thinking about adding a GTS in 07'? YES. Vipers are addictive. Some people swap Vipers because they just want a new playtoy (different color, more HP, etc). From what I've seen on here, a lot of people switch cars but they almost always stay with a Viper! If people were posting that they were switching from a Viper to other sportscars/exotics, then I may see a reason to be worried.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I am slightly concerned about the grenading engine comments I have read on this board and will continue to do research to investigate."

Let us know how that goes.
Grenading engines? Geez, maybe I bought the wrong car...
I think if you look on those other forums you mention, you'll see a disproportionately higher number of 'grenade' incidents with brand X cars. Maybe the modded motor crowd have issues with this, but the V10 is a very tough, under-stressed unit. Abuse any motor enough and it will let go.

Good luck in your search.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grenading engine!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PB040001.JPG

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Grenading engine"--If I had to make a bet, I'd say he is talking about crankshaft bolts backing out. Which Roe Racing sells a kit that pins the bolt to the crankshaft so it can't back out. I think the kit is ~$50 and the Wizard said its a pretty easy installation

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't look at me. I have my first and only rt/10 and will drop dead with it in my garage, unless I end up with a life threatening illness soon, then I'll drive it very fast over the highest cliff in the world and enjoy the ride down.

Reaction score
Sold my 96RT to make room for the 2003 SRT10. Sold my 97 GTS to make room my 99 ACR. Still have a 98 GT-2, 99ACR, 2003 SRT10. Not sure what to sell to make room for the next GEN. Love the present collection so losing one will be hard.

To answer the question I sell to make room for the next GEN. Love Vipers!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still have my first and only GTS.

next one will be an SRT but in addition to the GTS i have now.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's just like anything else that is riviting!

you get hooked and you want more

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are a very emotional car purchase, easy to fall in love with, and easy to fall out of love with. After two years of ownership my hearts still beats faster every time I sit in it and start it up. Guess I'm still in love....... :2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason why you see people selling and reselling is no different than with any other car. People have various reasons to make a change.

However the cars that you don't see are because those people are hanging on to it.

My friend just asked me the other day when we were walking through the SEMA show. "How come you don't want to change to another car?" My answer was simply "Because I haven't found one that I would rather have." And I seriously doubt I will.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys miss what Bat said.........enlighten us Bat......

What has got your interest peaked?

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one guy in our local club has had as many as 5 at one time (no he's not a dealer) he's just Viper crazy!!!

I'd have more, but my wife has very expensive taste.. in everything :p

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought one, sold it to save up for a house...bought the house, got married, got a nice raise, bought another one. Gonna keep this one a long time.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't understand fickle people, who fall in love with something, only to get rid of it shortly after. The "carrot" of satisfaction keeps moving away from the donkey! If it wasn't "all that", then why buy it?

It would take an affordable car with signifigantly higher performance to lure me away from my Viper.

(Of course, I can't afford an Enzo, Koenigsegg, Zonda, or Saleen TT, etc, otherwise I'd have one of those.)