Why does everyone hate on the Gen 1?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey try being an SRT-10 / S2000 owner! Then you can really feel the love! Sigh...

The Viper is an icon unto itself, especially the timeless bodystyles found on the RT/10 and the GTS. I have never seen anybody diss the Gen I per se, as most seem to either love or dislike all Vipers equally. Okay, maybe they dislike the SRT-10 a little more, but that is just a matter of taste. :2tu:

Signed,

A Two-Time SRT-10 Owner

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think GEN 1's are awesome and are the true Viper. This car was created to be a modern day recreation of the Shelby Cobra, and no Viper does it better than the one and only original---GEN 1.

The guys dogin' on this car probably drive a fart-pipe equipped Civic, live in a doublewide with their Momma, and can be seen on other car talk forums talking about the user-difficulty of the sequential manual transmission in the 360 Modena. They don't know their ass from their elbow with what they are talking about, and are just trying to fulfill their pathetic existence by spewing out incognizant drivel about a car they don't own nor will ever own.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHO ARE THESE BASTEREDS?????? :confused: Seriously can you post links to the sites where GEN I's are player hated?

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think GEN 1's are awesome and are the true Viper. This car was created to be a modern day recreation of the Shelby Cobra, and no Viper does it better than the one and only original---GEN 1.

The guys dogin' on this car probably drive a fart-pipe equipped Civic, live in a doublewide with their Momma, and can be seen on other car talk forums talking about the user-difficulty of the sequential manual transmission in the 360 Modena. They don't know their ass from their elbow with what they are talking about, and are just trying to fulfill their pathetic existence by spewing out incognizant drivel about a car they don't own nor will ever own.

Very well put TCKTPLZ....Gen1's are no frill, bell or whistle cars. Heck! we don't even have roll up windows. It feels good to drive the birth of a legend... Proud 94 owner. thumbs:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably jealously that a car made back in 1992 can smoke their 2005 model "sportscar". It took Chevy how long to make a Vette that can keep up with a Gen 1? Ford still doesnt have a Mustang that can line up with a Viper and expect anything but a 2nd place trophy. The vast majority of people are going to respect what a Gen 1 Viper represents---A sportscar all the way to the core. But, there's always going to be that handful who want to complain about no cup holders, no rollup windows, and no Swedish model massaging your shoulders while you drive (ok, that would be a nice addition), but besides the missing massaging supermodel, I think Gen 1 Vipers are awesome. I own a 96' RT/10 so I'm caught in the middle of Gen 1 and 2's, but I have no problem whatsoever with my Viper being atleast partly a Gen 1.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The heavy suspension pieces and heavier motor are probally the two reasons why I would not want a genI. But I love the lack of windows and the pure sports car setup of the car. It drives me crazy to see someone ****** a GenI by putting GenII wheels on it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A true production roadster with sidepipes. A car that was the desire of almost everyone who saw it.

The Gen1 is a classic.

Of course, that was ten years ago. It is still a very desirable, powerful, classic car. I see no need to compare it's performance to every new high tech offering that comes along.

So a new Vette or mustang is just as fast or perhaps a little faster.
I don't care.
I own a classic Viper. They don't.

How about an L88 Corvette or one of the Hemi Dodges from the old days, or a real 67 Cobra?
These are classics. Would anyone actually take one to the drags or compare it's performance to a C6 ZO6?
Of course not.

I believe the Gen1 is in the same class as the old cars I mentioned above.
They have a reputation, not as the fastest car on the street, but a classic that at one time was the fastest most desirable car on the street.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll play Devil's Advocate here. Now keep in mind, it is still a Viper, and an absolutely cool car, BUT...

1) I personally think the original three spoke wheels are quite ugly. An easy fix is to put later wheels on the car. I just think they look kinda goofy.
2) They are the least powerful Viper ever made.
3) The interiors are kinda "spartan" to say the least.

There's other reasons too, but those are the best ones I can come up with why I don't like them as much. Obviously I am biased, as I have a Gen 2, which to me is the best looking Viper made.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll play Devil's Advocate here. Now keep in mind, it is still a Viper, and an absolutely cool car, BUT...

1) I personally think the original three spoke wheels are quite ugly. An easy fix is to put later wheels on the car. I just think they look kinda goofy.
2) They are the least powerful Viper ever made.
3) The interiors are kinda "spartan" to say the least.

There's other reasons too, but those are the best ones I can come up with why I don't like them as much. Obviously I am biased, as I have a Gen 2, which to me is the best looking Viper made.

We all have are opinions here are mine:

1. I think if you chrome the wheels they become better looking than GEN II wheels.
2. Not by much Gen Is have more torque and mine dynoed just a couple of HP lower than some of the GEN IIs with $200 worth of engine mods.
3. Yes, but part of the reason to love the GEN I is how raw it is. It is truly amazing that Dodge made such a purpose built car.

I really believe with some small power upgrades (smooth tubes, K&N, exhaust), better tires (kumhos), and better brakes (40mm brake upgrade) the GEN I can outperform some of the top cars made today. Which is quite an accomplishment for being 13 years old and just around $1,500 worth of Mods.
:2tu:

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the GenI wheels, they are pure Viper, but that kind of stuff is personal preference, so you really can't knock other people for that, but also, I was under the impression that the GenII wheels are weak and have a tendency of breaking in extreme situations, like the track. I haven't heard many people bad mouthing the GenI, I still get that jaw dropping response every time I take mine out, granted it's not for everyone, it is an "in your face" type of thing, not untamed. Besides, who cares what anybody else thinks anyway, oh yeah, I almost forgot, the Viper Wizard drives a bone stock GenI, and he's the biggest rock star around!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN I's ****!! :confused: :rolleyes:

I frequent this site and the other and still can't see what you see as hatred? The Gen I's are Awesome in every way. The chroming of the wheels makes the car look terrific! Thats all the car usually needs. The Alley is more of a non purist site that advocates aftermarket solutions & that's where the Gen I falls short. Not that many people can generate enough purchasing power en masse to get the tuners to consider the costs and expenses of aftermarket solutions for the Gen. I. In Summary, the Gen I, vs both the Gen II and Gen III are a different Monster altogether.

Cheers,

:2tu:

Jay K.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss my gen1 when the sun shines... happy days...loved the smooth, clean off off look and still do :2tu: wasnt a fan of the grey interior that my car had

190rt.jpg

though after having the GTS for a number of years, I couldnt go back to a gen1, guess SRT owners say that about gen2

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, your woman is only 19? How old are you?

Im 21. :laugh:

I also love my gen 1. It turns lots of heads! I am reffering to threads like this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164959

"you should definately beat him. the 93's arent [******]. i beat a 2001 gts with my h/c ws6."

Did the guy in the 2001 gts know you were racing?? I typically do not race everyone at the light, my god I would be there all day with ricers, but, I have never come across a Firebird I have felt inferior to, so yeah, I would toast that bird for ya....
Be that as it may, just because you got a bunch of guys telling you that you should be able to take a gen 1 does not mean shyt...belly up and lets find out....remember there is always some one faster, hp is not the shoe in..if you can not get it to stick, you aint shyt...

my 2c

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you guys need some hobbies. Who cares what some dufus thinks about Gen I's. Same as good pistons ('99) bad pistons(00). Who cares. Life's too short get on with it!

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you guys need some hobbies. Who cares what some dufus thinks about Gen I's. Same as good pistons ('99) bad pistons(00). Who cares. Life's too short get on with it!

They are not talking about my car. I just used that for example. I have even heard other Viper owners give us gen 1 owners a hard time. :rolleyes: Ohh well.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
maybe they dislike the SRT-10 a little more.

And some much more than others. Bleah....

I've seen some shots taken at the Gen1s, but I'm still planning
on making one my second viper.

MatchboxMadeMyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen 1s rock dude. they have the coolest cosmetic features of the vipers with the side pipes and handless entry.. ok i dont like the lack of the third NACA duct ( or is it ahood scoop ) but they are probably the most badass of the vipers in that they are jsut bare bones built for tearing up asphalt. the only reason i wouldnt want one is because i do like having roll up windows for when sudden rainfall occurs and the soft tops look like crap on them, but i thinkt the gen II hard tops are compatible with them right ?.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper