Why does everyone hate on the Gen 1?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"soft tops look like crap on them, but i thinkt the gen II hard tops are compatible with them right ?."

Whats the difference?

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1's are just classic and clean. I do like them better with interior mods to tone down the plastic gray (the tan ones look good). People still stop in their tracks to admire them.

Jeff

used2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ragging on the Gen I viper? ok, from a guy(me) that's 51 years old, look at it this way. when i was a kid, the hotrods were road runners, chargers, cudas, gtx's, occasional mustangs(yikes), you're getting the picture. would those guys ever take on a 427 AC Cobra? Hell no and they freely admitted it. fast forward to 1995. Nerds in lowered hondas, nissans, cavaliers, Z/28's, the hotrods of this generation. would they take on a Viper? Hell no is still the answer. bottom line-the more things change, the more they stay the same.

genelumpkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 92 and a 96 gts. I constantly drive my 92 as it's funner with the pipes and sounds. Even the engine heat thru the firewall. Makes me feel like the guy in the 427 cobra must have felt in 1967. No air bags, ac, windows. It feels like your breaking the law just to be out in it. I think most will agree the gts looks better but it is to refined in my openion with the power windows ac and air bags. Like shelby / ford did in the 60s made the shelby more of a grand tourer that more people wanted to buy. I like the fact my 92 gives me the 60s fee without the maintance and resto work that doesn't have to be done. And it runs on pump gas. As for vetts I counted 8 new ones at the last car show that's always been the problem with them. I liked looking at the grand national better as you don't see em. Gene

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen I, and some pretty unbiased opinions.

I like...
* open top
* side pipes

I dislike
* no roll up windows
* open top (yea, that's a double edged sword)
* electronic parts are hard to find (OBD1)
* no cupholder
* doesn't come in silver

I would like a Gen II if i could get it with side pipes, and no louvers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21