Why does my idle fluctuate

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed that when I take my GTS out it alway idles at 500rpm but as soon as I start driving and come to a stop, it idles at 1500rpm and sometimes it stays there. Why the variance in rpm's. Is this a sign of my intake manifold gaskets leaking? Its a 97 and has the original gaskets. It has not had any of the recalls performed. I hate looking like I am reving my engine every time a come to a light.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's normal it's called "idle hang" Sean Roe I believe has something to cure it I haven't looked into it myself. My Viper doesn't do it very often. I hope this helps.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Noel,
It may be your Intake Gaskets. 97's are known for intake gaskets problems! Every 97 that I've had in my shop have needed intake gaskets!

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I also believe it might be my intake manifold gaskets. I am waiting for my waranty that was transfered from the previous owner kicks in.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I also believe it might be my intake manifold gaskets. I am waiting for my waranty that was transfered from the previous owner kicks in.

It only takes 24 hours to transfer a Warranty! You can call 800-521-9922 and check on it or call me with your VIN# and I can check it from here.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Chuck. I bought the car in Texas and before I left I went over to a Dodge dealership and they were not very helpful. I asked a finance person to tranfer the waranty and he was pretty firm on the fact that I was required to send the transfer form to Daimler Chysler. I did not want to drive the car from Texas to California knowing that if something were to happen I would be screwed due to the extended waranty not being under my name. Anyway, I just called the number you suggested and the lady I spoke with said that they actually incourage people to transfer their waranty right on the spot at the dealership. I still have a copy of the transfer form so I will try it again today. Anybody know of a helpfull Dodge dealership in Orange County, California?

Thanks

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to check for intake gasket leaks, you can use an unlit propane torch.
Have the engine at idle.
Play the end of the unlit, gas on, torch on all the gasket areas you can reach.
If the engine speeds up when you hit a certain area, that probably means a leak.

This isn't foolproof but it will detect some leaks.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My 99 only does it when the freon empties out of the AC. I'm not sure if there is a connection, but I find the coincidence odd. I have been advised by many shade-tree mechs that it could also be a vaccum leak. If I come across anything I'll be sure to post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather