Why Don't You Just Paint It?

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why Don\'t You Just Paint It?

Like myself, everyone has a preference in color for their dream viper (I lean towards the graphites/metallic greys/saphire blues).

My question: if you find the model you like, for the right $$, with the appropriate mileage and other differentiators that turn you on, why don't you just have it painted the color of your choice?? I have yet to hear anyone talk about paint jobs they got (other than necessary for repair work). Conversely, I often read of "rare viper colors", limited to a specific model year, etc.

I'm assuming painting it at will is a no-no to purists, or de-values the car in some way. What's the deal?

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why Don\'t You Just Paint It?

I'm assuming painting it at will is a no-no to purists, or de-values the car in some way.

Yes and Yes.

Re-Painted cars always tend to scare people away because it's a negative stereotype. Re-Painted implies to automatically that something is wrong in the buyers mind.

Plus a total color change would cost probably $12K thereabouts.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have not been searching the archives. There was a recent large thread (within few months) about how $8k - $12k is reasonable price for Viper paint job. Of all cars, I would think a Viper would lose the least value from a repaint since only the body panels and not engine compartment, underneath or even door sills are painted.

Don't forget that Sean Roe's avatar picture is a GTS of a non-stock color. Repainting is discussed here.

OP
OP
L

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have not been searching the archives. There was a recent large thread (within few months) about how $8k - $12k is reasonable price for Viper paint job.
Yes, I did. I searched the words "paint and repaint" and went back 3 months. Unless I missed something, the posts were limited to discussions about painting model cars, general repairs/maintenance (front fascia chips, etc.) rather than relegated to de-value sensitivity/purist's point of view.

I apologize if this has been hashed out already, and topic re-posts are verboten.

My perspective is less $$ focused, than damaging the car from a "market perspective".

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should you like to re-paint a piece of art? :rolleyes:

I am speaking of RT/10 and GTS.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LynnRI,
In my opinion??? Original paint is the only way to go. But I'm more of a 'purist' when it comes to keeping things original. I'm having trouble just repainting my lower front spoiler just because it wont be "original" paint.

I bought a 97 bl-wt GTS because it was exactly that...a bl-wt GTS. I would have never considered another color GTS that was painted bl-wt. Because it wouldn't have been a bl-wt in my mind.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most people assume a re-paint, regardless of whether color is original, was wrecked. If you have a reputable body shop do the prep and paint work, I am sure you would end up with a great looking car.

If you ever decide to sell it, you would be limiting yourself to buyers that like your color scheme. Narrowing the amount of potential buyers hurts your value. But as long as you enjoyed the color of the car while you had it, who cares what it's worth?

Good luck on your decision.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have went that way of the re-paint...of course the fact that the car met a pole helped out the decision. The paint code is on a sticker of the drivers door. YES, sometime down the road an original un-painted factory painted car is worth more...just look at Barrett-Jackson. Now the question is...are you buying a car for you, OR are you worried about the future resale value? As you can see my avitar, I am building the car for me and will go B/W as I could careless about future value. I would only repaint a car if it was (A)wrecked(rebuilt title) or (B)looked very poor(then repaint original color). If car looked good and clean title --leave it alone.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your car Lynn. Paint it any color you want. A good job is pricey though. I'd look for the color instead.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Given that repainting a Viper is expensive, how much can you save by buying a presentable Viper in a color you don't like?
There's been a lot of model specific and year specific color variations for the original Vipers. Such as the White GTS/R's, the Blue/White stripes, and the Ketchup/Mustard scheme. So the original color is a big deal.
Aswell these are low production number cars.
However having said that, I just remembered Jesse James had a "chromallusion brown" RT/10, so to each his own.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have not been searching the archives. There was a recent large thread (within few months) about how $8k - $12k is reasonable price for Viper paint job. Of all cars, I would think a Viper would lose the least value from a repaint since only the body panels and not engine compartment, underneath or even door sills are painted.

Don't forget that Sean Roe's avatar picture is a GTS of a non-stock color. Repainting is discussed here.

Don't forget Sean's shop car is a salvage title vehicle. In such instances I don't believe a color change makes any difference at all unless it's a radical non-stock color. :p :usa:

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shelby3, everytime I see your avatar, I get all worked up, I truely love the blue/whie scheme, very nice collection you have....thanks for sharing, your avatar is sick......... :2tu:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Yeah, sometimes circumstance forces you to paint it... :)

Regarding vipers, if you like an orginal colour you could probably save a whole lot of cash just buying the car you want. If you talking about cheaper cars like hondas, deawoos, and corvettes, then no one will every care about the difference.

OP
OP
L

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<<"Most people assume a re-paint, regardless of whether color is original, was wrecked">>
<font color="blue"> Good point. Didn't really think of that. THANK U </font>

&lt;&lt;"If you ever decide to sell it, you would be limiting yourself to buyers that like your color scheme. Narrowing the amount of potential buyers hurts your value "&gt;&gt;
<font color="blue"> Aren't we all limited by our tastes, and what's available at the time? I like RT and SRT, and like several of the original colors: graphites, metallic greys, saphire blues. From what I've seen (albeit a limited looksee) there are LOTS of reds, blacks, yellows, and less of the graphite (my fav) never mind when you factor in model. I could be WAY off on this one, but that's been my initial impression</font>

&lt;&lt;Now the question is...are you buying a car for you, OR are you worried about the future resale value?&gt;&gt; <font color="blue">
Only for me.
BUT, having come to feel a great affection for this/these car(s), and learning about the history, dwindling numbers of earlier models, dilemmas and brawls about future iterations, etc. I wondered about painting it for my aforementioned reasons: authenticity issues, the purist's view, de-valuing from a legacy perspective (My Gawd, I'm Profound! :D ). </font>
Your car Lynn. Paint it any color you want.
<font color="blue"> What He Said: :2tu: </font>

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw the 2002 blue/silver striped GTS/ACR VCA raffle car and just loved the color combination, so I repainted my R/T10 in the same colors. :cool:

Being a non-factory color combo (and the fact that R/T10s don't come with stripes) no doubt would make purists cringe, but I bought and customized this car for me, and I intend to own it for many, many years. :D

I have not regretted the re-paint one bit, in fact I enjoy having a unique color combination on an already unique car. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Painting a Viper graphite would probably not be a good idea.

There are graphite Vipers for sale and they don't bring any premium because of the color.

Figure the paint job would cost about $10k.

You would have to find a Viper with an undesired color, at a price $10k less than an available graphite Viper, for the paint job to break even.

However, if you wanted a blue and white Viper, you might be able to buy and paint a Viper, cheaper than buying a factory blue and white. They are popular and sell at a premium.

Of course, this doesn't take the loss of value because of any repaint.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To do it right, like they do at the "factory" - you'd need to completely remove the body panels from the car. That involves a LOT of work, as the rear quarters and the roof structure use GOBS of structural adhesive to strengthen and stiffen the body. They are not made to be taken apart - trust me - and painted (unlike the Comp Coupe) So, you have to find someone that has done it before, and is still willing to take it on, or you have to leave the rear quarters and the roof on to paint - can be done, but it's not as good a job.

So, to do it right - it's gonna be VERY expensive. Can't see how it would be cost effective when you are looking for a car that was produced in "decent" numbers - not like 100 GT2's etc.

But hey - like TVC said - it's your car - do whatever you want with it - I did with my 1996....

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The factory paint on some of the cars (like mine) are CRAPPY!, I have more waves on my doors than a senator in a parade, When I ******* to the dealer about it , every car he had had the same stuff on the doors. The cars are not painted as one unit, so the body panels are painted individually &amp; when I was at the factory, I saw them swaping items between cars. So really how much is a bad original paint job worth? More than a great repaint? Looking at those barret jackson cars, I never saw an early mopar that looked that good new , but I digress, do what makes you happy.