Why high end car dealers are so stupid ?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with my brother to look at porches. The salesman comes over and asks, "can I help you" in a tone that implied he meant can I help you find your local chevy dealer. I said we were interested in buying porches, then he look us up and down (as if I just asked to marry his daughter) and said, "you will be wanting to see the boxster, and I'm sure you want to drive it, right?" Like he is doing me a favor.

Without answering, we both turned around, walked out, went to the next dealer and bought two Carreras. (Actually ordered them b/c we got the same color and all) To this day when I see a Carrera I think 3 things. 1) the build quality on that car is unbelievable, 2) boy, that first salesman was a tool and 3)I WISH I WAS IN MY VIPER RIGHT NOW SO I COULD RUIN THAT GUY'S DAY!! ;)

BTW, second dealer just saw me looking at a car and a guy came out with the keys and said, take one for a spin and you'll be hooked.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pretty young when I bought my first viper. What I was at the dealership signing out the final paperwork, the dealer asked if I wanted to meet his daughter and brought out pictures of her.
Was she hot?

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto what Joe said. I have had so many unbelievable experiences with car dealers it's hard to even go into one now. Here are just a few. My father, a military General officer and able to buy any car he wanted with cash, and usually did, walked into a local Lincoln dealership with me and told the salesperson he'd like to take one out for a drive. The guy told him, with me standing there listening, that if he wanted to see what the car was like, he should RENT one for a weekend and then come back and buy it from him. See, I told you they were unbelievable. I walked into a Chevrolet dealership with my father on another occasion shortly after my mom died. My father wanted to buy something for himself he had always wanted, a shiny new red Corvette. There on the showroom was the car he wanted. We stood and stared at it for a few minutes, and just as the previous poster experienced, a salesperson came over, and without saying a word, opened up the door.....pushed the lock button......and slammed the door. We immediately left and bought a car from another dealer that day. Great, huh? When I went looking for a Viper, the dealer had the car in the showroom with the sticker on the window. He had an additional sticker of his own, marked up another 5 grand for "dealer incentive". I know. I know. You've seen this one before. I love this one. He told me the cars were hand built and rare, trying to justify the blue sky money. I offered him invoice and they laughed. I left without saying a word.
Ten minutes later they called me on the cell phone and I bought the car for invoice.
Here's my take on buying a car from a dealer:
ALWAYS walk away and leave the dealership, giving them your cell phone number.
NEVER buy the car for the price they say is the "lowest". It's not unless you DRIVE AWAY and PHYSICALLY LEAVE the lot. Works every time for me. Pete the ex glass guy.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reading this thread, I've been amazed at the level of disrespect leveled at dealers. I've purchased many, many cars and motorcycles over the years. Sometimes I wear my Rolex, sometimes my Nike running watch. Sometimes jean, sometimes a suit.

Everywhere from Ferrari dealers to Subaru dealers I've been treated well. I called my local showroom and asked for an appointment to drive a 1990 Ferrari Testarossa. When I came back from the test drive, the owner told me that he doesn't usually allow people to drive the high end cars unless they pre-qualify financially. He is attempting to keep people from using his showroom as a joy riding center.
But because I called for an appointment, gave him my car, and acted with respect, he concluded that I would be safe with his merchandise.

The same has been true for me anywhere I have gone. In fact, my first Corvette was when I went to look at a Camaro. When I mentioned I wanted to lease, the dealer showed me that I could have the Vette for basically the same monthly lease payment due to the higher residual value of Corvettes.

I can't remember which watch I was wearing that day. I do remember that they were courteous, helpful, and knowledgeable. I've since leased a Tahoe, and just purchased another Corvette from the same people.

The dealers here, including most recently Marv Rose of DodgeVipersforSale, have been equally as nice, and even more knowledgeable. There will be a time I want an SRT-10.
I will call Marv. I'll bet he will be polite, and I will be able to test drive whatever I want.

Respect and understanding is a two way street. Think about how hard the sales person you are dealing with has to work for the ridiculously small amount of money you end up paying.

In fact, with the close out on C-5s, the sales guys were getting just about nothing for commissions. My guy worked hard. I'm not rich, but I do appreciate effort. After the deal was done, I went back, thanked him, and gave him an extra $100. He seemed shocked.

Apparently the sales people must be dealing with some of the people who posted above in this thread. Try some respect and kindness, and see whether your watch or clothes become less of an issue.

Just my .02

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time (and last) I ever went into a BMW dealership the salesman jumped on me. I was young and wanted to look at some of the used cars. He was real short with me but at least answered some of my questions. I had the money, but didn't like his "financing" plans or options so I told him I needed to check tonight on my financing options and would get back with him tomorrow. He stated "When you call back tomorrow ask for Blue Boy?" and I said "Blue boy?" and he said "Yeah - that'll be the guy in the corner holding his breath."

Really pi@@ed me off. The worst part was he was dead serious and I guess decided that I wasn't worth his time anymore.

I hate car salesmen PERIOD!!!!!

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respect and understanding is a two way street. Think about how hard the sales person you are dealing with has to work for the ridiculously small amount of money you end up paying.

In fact, with the close out on C-5s, the sales guys were getting just about nothing for commissions. My guy worked hard. I'm not rich, but I do appreciate effort. After the deal was done, I went back, thanked him, and gave him an extra $100. He seemed shocked.

Apparently the sales people must be dealing with some of the people who posted above in this thread. Try some respect and kindness, and see whether your watch or clothes become less of an issue.

Just my .02

I understand where you are coming from but from the posts above everyone seemed like they were respectful and it was the salesperson that was unrespectful right off the bat (at least in my case).

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think my father was "disrespectful" when he drove into the Lincoln dealership and seemed interested in a car they had. I think it's disrespectful for the salesperson to tell him to go rent one if he wanted to get a driving impression. I'd love to tell you the story about his last dying wish to buy my stepmother a new car and what happened, but I don't want to even recall the nightmare again. Very sad. I have no pity for the salespeople that act in this manner. Again, know what you're doing before you go in and know what everything costs. Be prepared to drive away and go elsewhere, unless you just want to waste a couple grand. You can buy a new car any day of the week.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reading this thread, I've been amazed at the level of disrespect leveled at dealers.

Sometimes I wear my Rolex
residual value of Corvettes.
I'm not rich
Try some respect and kindness, and see whether your watch or clothes become less of an issue.

Just my .02

My 2cents: Not many 'above' people mentioned ANYTHING about walking into the stealerships acting like they expected special treatment. Sounds to me like the average story told here was that they walked in, looked at a car, asked to take a test drive, and were 'summed up' to be losers in the salespersons judgement. AND YOU ARE AMAZED? There are some really terrific salespeople in the car business, and there are some truly amazing a**holes. You are very lucky OR aren't telling the whole story. Do you pull right up front of these dealers in a high end car? I've found if you do that, they will always treat you nice because they assume you have the finances to "buy today" (all they seem interested in)

I always try to sneak in if in the Viper, or take something else.

Speaking of Corvette salesmen: In 99 I was thinking (or actually wasn't thinking) of buying a Vette. I wanted a black coupe. I had put 50k down on my Viper and owed 20K (I got a good trade in) I figured I would ask them to evaluate the snake as a trade in. After the initial visit, which was very nice (spent over an hour in the salesguys cubicle chatting) I left with the understanding that he would call back with a follow up appointment to sign papers. He never called. I called him. No answer. I called the main desk, and for the next four days he was 'in a meeting' 'out to lunch' 'already left for the day' 'with a customer' etc. I asked the lady to leave him a message that I called each time. I gave her my numbers in case he misplaced them. Nothing. On the last call I said, if he doesn't call me back within 30 minutes, tell him to cancel the order. He didn't call.

Imagine, the bragging rights to tell (and show) everyone else passing by or coming into the dealer that a guy traded a Viper for a Vette! I didn't.

Now I'm on my 3rd (two from Woodhouse) and feel good about it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 Viper RT/10,
So, your experiences with car salesmen have been nothing but good.
Everyone else seems to have exactly the opposite experience.

Why?

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperFreak2: I originally wanted a triple black vette. At one point I had even negotiated the whole deal. We all agreed on the price and everything. I came back to the dealership to actually purchase the car. When I went to the back with the salesman he stated "you do know that there is a $4,000 up charge on the car?" I said - what? He stated that since there is such a "high" demand for the vettes right now that I would have to pay another $4,000 on top of the agreed price to have the car. What the f$%^?

Long story short - I bought a Viper instead. Sometimes it's not just the saleman, but the dealership in general.

I still hate car salesmen...

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am never dressed when looking for a car. Usually in sweat pants, t-shirt and hat. I've had a few bad experiences myself. My first was when I was looking for a Corvette. I walked into the local Chevy dealer and was looking over a C5 convertible in the showroom. A salesman approaches and asks if he could be of any help. I tell him I'm interested in the Vette and was wondering if they were moving any from the sticker price. He then tells me to follow him and that he has the right car for me. We start walking to the other side of the showroom and I'm looking around for other Vettes but don't see one :confused: Get this, he stops in front of a Camaro Z28 and proceeds to tell me that it's the car for me. That I shouldn't be looking at the Vette and the performance is almost the same :mad: I was kind of shocked and since I'm a very laid back person I let him do his sales pitch on the Z28. I've never went back there after leaving and purchased elsewhere.

Also, I went looking at the 350Z one day. Thought it might be a fun car to have. I was told I couldn't test drive it unless I was serious about purchasing one and was ready to put down a deposit :( How am I suppose to know if I like it without test driving it first? I could understand if it were a Viper :D

Funny, the Benz dealers were all good to me so far. Probably thought I was some rich kid looking for a car daddy was going to buy me.
DENNIS, COULD THE FACT THAT YOU LOOK MAYBE 19 YEARS OLD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? MAYBE YOU COULD GROW A BEARD OR MUSTACHE? LOL!!!!

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]DENNIS, COULD THE FACT THAT YOU LOOK MAYBE 19 YEARS OLD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? MAYBE YOU COULD GROW A BEARD OR MUSTACHE? LOL!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Tom...not sure if I can even do that :( :D

JZ 97 SS 1500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends all on the salesman. I went to browse the showroom floor at Nissan/Infiniti a few weeks ago just browsing. I was looking at the G35 coupe. When the salesman walked up and told me that it would dust a new Vette, I knew I was in the wrong place....lol.

Jose

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "up charge" they pull out when you actually come in to sign and pay, is a common tactic.

They figure that you called all your friends and told them you were buying a new Vette.
They figured that you were so excited about picking up your new car that you would go for it.

Car sales people are the **** of the earth.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After graduating from college and working for 2 years I decided I wanted a new Mercedes. After my research I thought a $63,000 new E series convertible was the ticket.

I went to the dealership (driving my 5 year old VW Jetta) and walked into the dealership. Stood around for what felt like forever. FINALLY, someone asked if they could help me (as in 'can't you find the exit door?!).

I told them I wanted to look at a new E series. He, and I am not exaggerating, pointed out the window and said "They are down there" and went back to shuffling papers.

I bought a BMW 540i Sport the next day.

Unfortunately most sealerships encourage "salespeople" to do whatever they can to make a buck.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with my brother to look at porches. The salesman comes over and asks, "can I help you" in a tone that implied he meant can I help you find your local chevy dealer. I said we were interested in buying porches, then he look us up and down (as if I just asked to marry his daughter) and said, "you will be wanting to see the boxster, and I'm sure you want to drive it, right?" Like he is doing me a favor.

Without answering, we both turned around, walked out, went to the next dealer and bought two Carreras. (Actually ordered them b/c we got the same color and all) To this day when I see a Carrera I think 3 things. 1) the build quality on that car is unbelievable, 2) boy, that first salesman was a tool and 3)I WISH I WAS IN MY VIPER RIGHT NOW SO I COULD RUIN THAT GUY'S DAY!! ;)

BTW, second dealer just saw me looking at a car and a guy came out with the keys and said, take one for a spin and you'll be hooked.

No offence, but you own 1 of them and can't spell the word "Porsche" correctly?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn you!! :p I realized the miss spelling after it was too late to edit. My post is so far back I figured no one would bust my chops. Ok, you got me!

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Damn you!! :p I realized the miss spelling after it was too late to edit. My post is so far back I figured no one would bust my chops. Ok, you got me!

LOL :)

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just my.02 here...

I have worked for New Car dealers for over 20 years, mostly in the parts dept. but did spend a few months, years ago as a salesman.
Let me tell you there are alot of a$$hole salemen out there as well as alot of a$$hole customers out there.
Someone earlier mentioned the salemen getting beat down after dealing with ******* after *******....Its too bad these people mess it up for other true buyers.
I only sold cars for a couple months and I had a case where a young kid came in and wanted to test drive a new Nissan/Datsun 200sx turbo (shows how long ago it was) and I was a new saleman so I didnt know any better and let him "test Drive" it.
Well the test drive ended up being a long cruze showing off to all his friends and abusing the car....Im not a big guy so all I could do was yell and threaten him that if he didnt stop bla bla bla......
Anyhow, with thing like that happening, the next time a young kid came in to look at a car, I wasn't so willing to let him drive it.....and he would probably be the one that would actually buy the car....just my luck.
Like I said, just my .02 here, but until you walk a mile in the salesmens shoes, you cant really know why some of them act the way they do....its a very tough job....good ones (meaning the ones that dont do all the bad things mentioned here.....Bill P. for example) are worth seeking out and dealing with, and they are the succesful ones, and for every 1 of them there are probably 100 that arent succesful and are just doing this until they get there next job.
It is like many professions, the cream rises to the top.
And finally (the crowd goes wild!!) weather you want to believe it or not, the dealers do not make very much profit on selling new cars....they get most of their money from the factory IF they hit certain units sold numbers, so they are hoping that they will hit their "number" when the quarter is over and if they dont, they lose out on BIG $$$$, the factory is also tying this $$$ to CSI as well.
OK, Im done here...sorry for rambling but just wanted to let you all know from a "dealer guy's" point of view.
Cheers,

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY TURN:

I had a problem with my Ford Ranger several years back. We took it to the dealorship and got it " fixed ". Well, in the end something was wrong so we went back to the dealorship, totally calm, to get something " worked out ". Well, the service department basically told us to go to hell...meaning they WOULDN'T even give us the time of day. Then we went to talk to the customer representative. He told my mom and me that his guys were telling the truth, and that we were lieing. Worse yet, that we were liars. I will NEVER buy a car form that dealorship again. And the funniest thing, it's not like we only buy Cavaliers in my family. We are not as wealthy as some on these boards, but my dad has a Boneville SSEI and my mom a loaded Grand Cherokee. They coulda and maybe woulda made tons of money off my fasmily would they have treated my mom and myself better.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I bought my 98 Neon from Pippen as in Scottie Pippen Dodge here on Western in Chicago from a pair of brothers that owned the dealership. I had my wife go in to buy the car and the "Hey, Little Lady treatment was like throwing her to the wolves. WHAT a Mistake it was sending her by herself! Apparently these cro-mags don't treat all people as equals. To make a long story short we bought the car at the price that we initially settled on that worked HEAVILY in our favor. How? You might ask??

With the help of a lawyer, of course!

A year or two Dodge revoked the dealership from these two thieves and now its under new and hopefully fair management.

Jay K.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents when my dad bought our present Volvo V40 last year (we took delivery of it January 16th this year). It's all silver and one of the last V40's to be produced (with the cool looking black faced clear headlights and chrome rings around the lights themselves).
I spent a whole afternoon making the car look as clean as possible (during one of my periods doing apprenticement I worked a week cleaning cars that customers had traded in and needed to go to the showroom, so I know my stuff about that :p ).
The first time my mom and dad visited the dealership the salesman they spoke to only wanted to give us 4500 euros trade-in for our non metallic Turkish Green V40. My dad already had his reservations about the low price, so we looked up some prices of similarly equipped V40's on internet sites of dealerships elsewhere. THE HIGHEST PRICE WE FOUND WAS 12.000 EUROS FOR A CAR WITH ALMOST THE SAME LIST OF OPTIONS WE HAD :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
Naturally, we printed some of those internet ads and went back to rub them under the nose of the sales people :p My dad wanted me to be there with him becuz I already know much of my stuff about how a dealership works.
Even then they were trying to get lower than the 7000 we figured would be a nice price. We were almost closing the deal but the salesman wanted to take anohter look at our car before he could confirm the trade-in price. He was kinda slow in actually going over to our car, so then my dad played a very amusing card :D
Becuz I became good friends with the people from the Opel dealership nearby we went there to have a look at a (now old model) Astra before we went to look at a new V40. My dad said to the Volvo guy:
"We also have a lunch appointment at the Opel dealership".

He didn't know how fast he had to get to our car, where he saw the hard work I had done to get the car as clean as I could get. I think that really got him convinced :D :D :D
Turns out we even got the chrome rings around the instruments my dad didn't want on the new car, and when he saw them he actually liked them.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1997, I looked at a new red Corvette(the C5 had just come out) at a regional dealership. My father had recently died and I had my mother with me and a girlfriend. I had ordered a 1997 red Viper(My previous RT was bought back by Dodge and Dodge had made me a great deal on the GTS). I was considering going to the dark side and getting a Vette. The dealer gave me a ride but would not allow me to drive the car. My mother, who remained at the dealership, while I was getting the test ride, listened to the salemen note that I was dressed too poorly to be able to afford the car. When I returned from the bogus test ride, I was recognized by one of the customers. The attitude of the dealership radically changed towards me. I did not buy the car and the next day(literally) the Viper shows up at the local Dodge dealship unexpectedly(I had dealt with Dodge directly on the car). I bought the car(cash deal). The next day the GM of the Chevolet dealership called me and apologized for the misunderstanding. I drove the Viper over and apologized for not being able to afford a Corvette.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't look at it as simply price negotiation when the first deal they propose is an attempt to cheat the customer.

After they try to cheat me, I find it difficult to just forget that attempt and move on the next point of negotiation.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't look at it as simply price negotiation when the first deal they propose is an attempt to cheat the customer.

After they try to cheat me, I find it difficult to just forget that attempt and move on the next point of negotiation.

I agree with this. If they tried to cheat you once then you are dealing with a dishonest person. Leaving is the best thing you can do.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you've gotta remember that these salespeople are just average joes with families and bills just like all of us... and most get paid on a strictly commission-only basis as well. I know for a fact (at least through Ford/Lincoln/Mercury) that if a car is sold at dealer invoice, that particular salesperson only gets $75... if another salesperson helps out, then the commission is split. If that salesperson works a normal 12 hour day (like at most dealerships) and only sells one car a day (which is really good)... that poor guy only doesnt even make minimum wage.

Im not saying any of you deserved to be treated the way you were, but based on the info above, I can see how some of these salesmen can be in a bad state of mind.

Think about it... if you barely make $100 a day selling cars... which customer are you more likely to be nice to?? The punk kid in sweat pants driving the econo car... or the older, well dressed, more sophisticated-looking gentleman in the luxury sedan??

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
. I know for a fact (at least through Ford/Lincoln/Mercury) that if a car is sold at dealer invoice, that particular salesperson only gets $75... if another salesperson helps out, then the commission is split.

Your "Fact" is wrong. Each Dealership sets its own pay structure, and it is not for Invoice deals only, This money(75$ in the case of the particular FLM dealership you are familiar with) would also incorporate deals that the commision Did not add up to $75(say you bought the car at $200 over invoice and his commision is 25%). The correct term for this is a "Mini Deal." To say that is all they make is another misnomer as well. The salesman also gets an "X" on the board for the sale. At certain volumes per month he will get a bonus, some of them are hefty.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your "Fact" is wrong. Each Dealership sets its own pay structure, and it is not for Invoice deals only, This money(75$ in the case of the particular FLM dealership you are familiar with) would also incorporate deals that the commision Did not add up to $75(say you bought the car at $200 over invoice and his commision is 25%). The correct term for this is a "Mini Deal." To say that is all they make is another misnomer as well. The salesman also gets an "X" on the board for the sale. At certain volumes per month he will get a bonus, some of them are hefty.
regardless, the pay scales are similar to dealerships all over the country... and these guys work their assses off to make very little money. Reaching those volume goals arent as easy as you may think...

again, Im not saying the way many of you were treated is ok... just the amount of work that goes into selling a car is hardly justified by the amount of pay they recieve

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
regardless, the pay scales are similar to dealerships all over the country... and these guys work their assses off to make very little money. Reaching those volume goals arent as easy as you may think...

again, Im not saying the way many of you were treated is ok... just the amount of work that goes into selling a car is hardly justified by the amount of pay they recieve

Please dont assume what I know about it or try to tell me about the car business. Pay plans are not all similar. There exists a great variety of pay plans ranging from the very bad to the most generous. Some car salesman make a serious income and that opportunity is open to all from day one. I no longer work in the car business, But I never failed to reach the sales goals, nor found it difficult, whether I was a salesman, F&I manager or Floor Manager.

As for all the people with the bad experiances.....I agree, It *****. The Dealer system is set up that way. Salesman are trained that way, and for the most part are on a very temporary stint as a car salesman. It needs to be abolished and a whole new business model put in place that is pro customer. The auto dealer system is the last dinosour. One of the major Car companies, or a new car company yet to be founded will eventually do this, The internet and free exchange of information is killing the dealer negotiation..........but, it's still a ways off.

If you find a good place and a salesman worht dealing with, remember him and keep going back, Vote with your dollars.