Why Not Magnetic Ride Control? Ferrari has it..

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's fantastic the Viper is going to have adjustable suspension settings.. but from what I have read it has just two settings. One thing that is a surprise is why they didn't use the Magnetic Ride Control system? I know it is associated with GM but if I recall the system was designed by Delphi. Fiat / Ferrari is using it so why not use it on the Viper? I think the true testament to the system is Ferrari's adaptation on their cars. That speaks volumes.. The MRC system would have give the Viper a wider range of settings.

The GM / Delphi magnetic ride control is one of the best systems in the world. It's been reported the new version can adjust the cars suspension every inch of road travel at 60 MPH ,, it's that fast to react. The components are light and the systems have great flexibility for the factory to set up. I am happy the Viper has something but I think they missed an opportunity to use one of the best systems

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know magnetic ride is a really expensive option. Maybe that's why.

What the Viper will have in its two settings are: hard, and REALLY hard. I guess that's what Viper ownership is all about.

Living in the LA area, I would mind a third setting called: "70's Cadillac" for our horrible freeways.

~Jay

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to one of the SRT engineers about this, and at the time they wanted more control of different parameters. Said their new system could give them more of what they wanted.

As usual, SRT decided on an relatively inexpensive and straightforward solution with more flexibility. I do not believe there is any aftermarket way for the owners of those magnetic shocks to make any changes other than what comes from the factory

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One nice thing about the ACR. It's more comfortable then a standard viper if you put the settings on full soft. That's how I usually run it around here in the Bay area because like LA we have ****ty roads.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, do you know what the differences are?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did not get into that, but they were well aware of the limitations of the magnetic ride control available at the time.

I think, just recently they upgraded the magnetic speed, so maybe we will see it on a Viper in the future.

OP
OP
S

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know magnetic ride is a really expensive option. Maybe that's why.

What the Viper will have in its two settings are: hard, and REALLY hard. I guess that's what Viper ownership is all about.

Living in the LA area, I would mind a third setting called: "70's Cadillac" for our horrible freeways.

~Jay

The New ZL1 Camaro is getting the latest 3rd Gen system so it can't be two expensive.. R&T talks about the 3rd gen system in the March Issue.

I spoke to one of the SRT engineers about this, and at the time they wanted more control of different parameters. Said their new system could give them more of what they wanted.

As usual, SRT decided on an relatively inexpensive and straightforward solution with more flexibility. I do not believe there is any aftermarket way for the owners of those magnetic shocks to make any changes other than what comes from the factory

Thanks Paul.. I am happy to see the Viper get some refinements . It's great to be able to change the car on the fly !!

Last edited:

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One nice thing about the ACR. It's more comfortable then a standard viper if you put the settings on full soft. That's how I usually run it around here in the Bay area because like LA we have ****ty roads.
i would have to say the acr is not as soft of a ride as a coupe, i have both. the acr rides like a wagon, which is fine by me

Reaction score
Both the SRT and the GTS will still be able to benefit from the new MCS suspensions for the track, this will give you all the adjustment variations you could want. The ride characteristics of the MCS are also from very comfortable to World Challenge ready.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this adjustable suspension on the Gen 5 does what the magnetorheological shock system can do-

The system senses a launch, and softens the rears, to help it squat, and transfer weight rearward for traction. Two wheel drive cars reach a wall for lack of traction, where more power doesn't improve acceleration all that much, all things being equal othwerwise. Lack of traction is the limiting factor, after sufficient power has been obtrained to shred the tires into expensive smoke.

Note that the 2.9 second 0-60 second cars are mostly all-wheel drive. (Veyron, GTR, Aventador) A two wheel drive car with tons of power really, desperately, needs to transfer weight rearward at launch. Two wheel drive is aging technology.

While cornering, the MR shock system stiffens the outside corners, to help it corner level, and control roll, keep the Cg low.

That's how the ZR1 does a 7:19 on the Ring, without the +1000 pound downforce aero of the ACR. Back when, we all thought 7:22 was supremely great, so 7:19 is defintely respectable, especially without aero downforce helping to make the car stick. The ZR1 doesn't need any aero to speak of, to do a 7:19. But that one version of the ACR needed it's aero back then, to do even a 7:22. What accounts for this?

The ZR1 did a 7:19 without aero, largely due to it's sophisticated suspension, the MR shock system. So good, Ferrari bought them for the 599, + 458. (yes, tires helped) If the ZR1 had aero, it would fare much better, but that's not their target demographic. Gotta make money, and appeal to the masses. They are not aiming at the ******** enthusiast, they want a wider market.

Now consider this- If the ACR had MR shocks, (OR any system that can stiffen the outside corners during lateral G forces), it would do even better than 7:12, maybe 7:05.

Knock the Gumpert (non-regular-production car) down a few pegs. Holy shiite batman, maybe threaten that top dawg Radical? (Not globally street legal, no top, no a/c, no radio, no windscreen, no wipers, etc.)

For a production car to do this, it needs all the tricks in the book. MR shocks could help. Or maybe they will design their own trick shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this adjustable suspension on the Gen 5 does what the magnetorheological shock system can do-

The system senses a launch, and softens the rears, to help it squat, and transfer weight rearward for traction. Two wheel drive cars reach a wall for lack of traction, where more power doesn't improve acceleration much. Note that the 2.9 second 0-60 second cars are mostly all-wheel drive. (Veyron, GTR, Aventador) A two wheel drive car with tons of power really, desperately, needs to transfer weight rearward at launch. Two wheel drive is aging technology.

While cornering, the MR shock system stiffens the outside corners, to help it corner level, and control roll, keep the Cg low.

That's how the ZR1 does a 7:19 on the Ring, without the aero of the ACR. Back when, we all thought 7:22 was supremely great, so 7:19 is defintely respectable. Doesn't need aero to do a 7:19. But the ACR needed it aero back then to do even a 7:22. What accounts for this!

The ZR1 did a 7:19 without aero, largely due to it's sophisticated suspension, the MR shock system. So good, Ferrari bought them for the 599, + 458. If the ZR1 had aero, it would fare much better, but that's not their target demographic. Gotta make money, and appeal to the masses. They are not aiming at the ******** enthusiast, they want a wider market.

Now consider this- If the ACR had MR shocks, (OR any system that can stiffen the outside corners during lateral G forces), it would do even better than 7:12, maybe 7:05.

Knock the Gumpert (non-regular-production car) down a few pegs.

I agree and no one will dispute the Viper ACR time , as you said The ZR1's time is very impressive without the use aero aids. And I think that was without the stickier PS cup tires the ZR1's now run. The Gen 5 ACR with aero, more power and better gears will be interesting to see what it can do.. I guess the big question for the ACR is what tires it would run. The Pilot Sport Cups are the next best thing to Hoosiers.. but Would SRT put Michilen tires on the ACR ???

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree and no one will dispute the Viper ACR time , as you said The ZR1's time is very impressive without the use aero aids. And I think that was without the stickier PS cup tires the ZR1's now run. The Gen 5 ACR with aero, more power and better gears will be interesting to see what it can do.. I guess the big question for the ACR is what tires it would run. The Pilot Sport Cups are the next best thing to Hoosiers.. but Would SRT put Michilen tires on the ACR ???

SRT is now "in bed" with Pirelli. I'm sure their F1 experience will show through.