Why the heck is it so darn hard to access the battery in my 2002 GTS?!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahahahah, wait until you put it back in and for some reason or another you have to take it back out again (not grounded properly, tie down loose, etc)

LOL!!
G

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a performance car, not an SUV. Battery location is optimized to balance the chassis weight, also lowers center of gravity.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh... I haven't even attempted it yet. Take it to Ted at Valaya.

Do you really have an FE in SF? I have a red/wte (NOT FE) as well... surprised I've never seen you around. Good thing too... we'd look like women arriving at a party with the same dress. :D

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did they really have to make it that hard to get to???
What's the point?
Its really not that hard. Not really much harder than changing a wheel, at least. As the stock battery doesn't allow you to add water, its not like you get to it that often. But granted, its not as easy as if it was in the engine compartment. I bet if you could find an acceptable place to put it in the engine compartment, Dodge would have welcomed the tip. :cool: '92 models and part of '93 had the battery in the trunk, but it was moved to its current Gen I & II location in mid '93 - probably because it used up precious trunk space.

I recall one time when autocrossing about eight years ago, the tech inspector wanted to verify the battery was tied down properly. I told him that if he found the battery, he could inspect it. :cool: After he gave up and I described where it was, he accepted my word that it was tied down properly.

Reaction score
Agree with Randy, A lift makes it very easy but with a floor jack it is pretty simple. Suggest a stock battery be used to avoid problems with fit that can occur with the OPTIMA. Some battery trays will allow accept the OPTIMA other will not.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you guys suggest staying with the stock battery, or going with something different?

I have always put red tops in my cars, but now I read the optima won't work...?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the $50 Costco battery. More power than stock and it works like a charm. As to battery removal, it is a PITA. But that's the price for performance.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC feels the location adds to the performance of the cars handling like Camfab mentioned.
As far as getting at it? Well if you can change a tire, you can change your battery. It's really not that difficult.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If my poor memory serves me right, the battery was moved from the trunk location in late 93 in order to allow for passage of dual exhaust out the back. At the time, this was done for European models as the side exhaust didn't meet the European "pass - by" noise rules.

Proved to be a good ideal as later Gen II Vipers also had exhaust going out the back, which allowed for a few more ponies.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it true the battery is in the rear bumper?

Yep. To access it, you have to remove the left rear tire and the lower part of the splash shield. When I replaced mine, it wasnt as hard as I was expecting (once the tire is off, you just gotta remove a few bolts)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you guys suggest staying with the stock battery, or going with something different?

I have always put red tops in my cars, but now I read the optima won't work...?

Leslie, I put the Optima red top in my 96' RT/10 a couple weeks ago and had no problem getting it to fit (even though it had top posts along with the side posts). I just left the caps on the top posts to make sure they didnt hit the frame anywhere.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to admit that it is a really stupid place to put it. What if you need to jump the car, is there a spot under the hood that you can connect cables to or if you want to put a battery tender tender on it in the winter I would hope you do not need to remove the access panel. I guess you could hard wire it for the tender and just pull the wire out of your ww. Why couldn't they put it in a rear compartment inside the car like some of the vettes? Poor engineering IMHO.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to admit that it is a really stupid place to put it. What if you need to jump the car, is there a spot under the hood that you can connect cables to or if you want to put a battery tender tender on it in the winter I would hope you do not need to remove the access panel.

Yes. Not sure what year Viper you have, but my remote positive terminal is under the hood on the driver side near the windshield washed fluid bottle. It has a red cover that identifies it. Same place for a battery tender hookup and you can ground it to a nearby bolt

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a performance car, not an SUV. Battery location is optimized to balance the chassis weight, also lowers center of gravity.

Kinda wrong, and here is why. (oh yeah, im supposed to site references in school, so I should here too, info obtained from the Current Viper Days Champ).

Ideally the batter would be on the passenger side, not the drivers side. Granted they got it somewhat right, by having it towards the back, but they missed the mark on putting it on the drivers side, as that side is already weighted down with a passenger, it should have been on the passenger side to come closer to "corner balancing" the car.

Think about it, makes complete sense. So honestly, Ideally, one should seak to get the lightest battery possible that is capable of getting the job done, as to reduce weight overall, and reduce poorly distributed rear weight.

Thank you, I am back to adding value here.
Jon

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have seen guys post regarding fitment problems with optima batteries yet also tend to see many raving about them in their vipers so what gives. is a slight mod needed to make it work? i was going to buy a yellow top rather than red cause my understanding was the yellow was more for cars not driven that often and red was more a daily driver battery. is that correct?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have seen guys post regarding fitment problems with optima batteries yet also tend to see many raving about them in their vipers so what gives. is a slight mod needed to make it work? i was going to buy a yellow top rather than red cause my understanding was the yellow was more for cars not driven that often and red was more a daily driver battery. is that correct?

I just put the Optima in my 95. It fit in the stock position with no problems at all. It does have the top posts on it and the side posts on it. I just left the plastic covers on the top posts and used the side posts as the stock battery does.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth - there is a battery temperature sensor on the back side of the oem battery tray. Due to the Optima shape (not totally rectangular) it is easy to install the battery without contacting the temperature sensor. When you place the Optima in the tray make sure you position the sensor so that it contacts the battery and make sure you push the Optima all the way towards the passenger side.

On the other hand maybe it has no impact on charging, just a safety device in the circuit to protect against over-charge. It is there, so why not hook it up right.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, battery should be on the passenger side....the design also uses a slightly lower CCA and size to save weight, but the system uses a 100 AMP alternator to keep the system up at charge and full power.
P.S. also use some kind of anti-corrosion lube on the battery cables to avoid build up, and having to remove the panel to clean the contacts.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the Optima 7535 red top in my 99GTS with top posts and side mounts without any problems. When the original battery died, I was in my driveway and there was no way it would start by jumping it. Had to push it in the garage.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my battery leaked bad on my car and tried the red Optima but there was no way to make it fit without cutting and re-welding the battery tray.I also spoke to Optima a SEMA and he told me that they have no plans for a smaller battery.I did hear once that there was a company that made a gel cell for our cars anybody know?