Will a V10 truck trans fit a Gen I engine?

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the 47/48re from a V10 or Cummins diesel will bolt to the viper motor.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snampro, I know what you're thinking but I think Rogue said that the tranny would bolt to a Viper motor but did not say that the tranny would fit in the Viper. I've never tried, but I know those trannies are physically imposing and I have my doubts as to whether they would fit in the tunnel of the Viper.

Most of the automatic conversions are using a beefed up 200r4, which is much smaller.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill, I've never done the conversion, so I don't know. I know several people have done them and I think there may be an adapter of some sort involved.

Your best bet would be to call Heffner Performance or Underground Racing as I know they used this tranny on their 7 and 8 second street Vipers. They could probably sell you the adapters as well as torque convertor and built tranny you would need.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do have to modify the trans tunnel a bit to fit the 47/48 in there, as Kenny stated it's a HUUUGE B*TCH, literally weighs 250lbs or so. But it can, and has been done, just take a little work.

I haven't worked with any of the other autos using the chevy trannies, but more than likely they use an adaptor plate welded to a cut down chevy bell housing.

I would generally prefer the dodge trans mainly because the OD is equally as strong as the other gears. If you desire to run a standing mile or other crazy top speeds having a super stout OD is a blessing.

Either way it's an expensive project. Plan on $5500-7000 for the trans alone (either dodge or chevy) $1-2k for a nice torque converter, modified driveshaft, shifter, new cross member, etc. It will eat every bit of $10k, if not more depending on the cost of the custom bellhousing etc.

If you're seriously interested send me a PM and i'll get you a list of everything required, what needs to be modified, who to get parts from etc.