WIN A 1998 VIPER GT2 52/100 for £1 ($1.70)

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoax I say!
Must be one of them rare gold plated 1/18th scale Maisto models! :p :D

Just bustin' your chops Baz good luck to all that enter! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tickets will be available on line from the 27th April 06 Via Paypal (not mine)
Hope this makes it alot easier for everybody...

Everybody that has ordered via me your tickets will be in the post first thing Monday 24th ...
GOOD LUCK :2tu: :2tu: .....

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just out of stupid curiosity how many did you manage to sell off here before switching over?

Maybe the VCA higher-ups should take note that, even though the tickets are way cheaper, I think this thread got more view hits than the last SRT raffle car...

(hint... hint...) :)

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody that has ordered via me your tickets will be in the post first thing Monday 24th ...
GOOD LUCK :2tu: :2tu: .....

Awesome!!

hmmmm ... now to figure out how to get it back to Calgary .. LOL!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAUTION:::Re: WIN A 1998 VIPER GT2 52/100 for £1 ($1.70)

Folks,

I would be cautious about sending any money to this organization.

Facts:

The company "managing" the lottery (Totally Epic Events) was "incorporated" in mid-February of this year. There are no phone numbers for this "company".

The url for 'winviper.com' was first created March 31 2006.

The contact details for the url "winviper.com" point to the company hosting the website instead of the true owner.

The company address listed on the winviper website is the very same as:

Chiropractic Advancement Association
8, Centre One
Lysander Way
Old Sarum Park
Salisbury, Wiltshire
SP4 6BU
Tel: 01722 415 027

(above from the link http://www.migraine.org.uk/content.aspx?cid=15)

I tried calling just now but it's after hours and no one answered.

The website for this organization is:

http://www.chiropatients.org.uk

interesting, this organization promotes itself as a Charity...

further -- if this is the organization behind the lottery, don't you think they would promote it on their website??? (I cannot find anywhere on this website that promotes a lottery or Vipers at all)

further still -- why would a charitible organization form a new entity (Totally Epic Events) just for this lottery?

also of question is, why would an organzation that takes donations for chiropractic research send its lottery money to www.edfringe.com - a very worthy organization on its own but entirely unrelated to chiropractic care

AND

this company:

http://www.colourview.co.uk/

has an address @ 8 Woodford Centre (not sure if this is the very same 'address' as it is not "Centre One")

also, why isn't there a link on winviper.com to edfringe.com (the official website of the festival)...after all, on winviper's home page they indicate that funds raised by the lottery will go to support this festival

There are no details about the Viper (it is wrecked? salvage? non-existent?) that is the "prize", this is quite fishy, not even a stated "prize value" (a prize worth one million dollars ..nothing is mentioned, not for the 'holiday' either...and, by the way, the word "holiday" is misspelled on the weblink that shows its 'details':

http://www.winviper.com/winviperhoiday.htm

(spelled "hoiday" rather than "holiday"...)

And, watch out for this one...there is no mention of how many people the "holiday" packet is for, it says "family" so the implication would be a prize package for 4, but, there is no mention.

They added VOI.9 tickets really quickly to this prize package...that's very fishy indeed!

Unlike other UK Lotteries I have seen they do not mention the number of tickets that must be sold in order for the lottery to be sufficiently funded. Just think about it though for a moment, money needed to cover the prizes: $100,000 for the Viper (low guess), holiday package for 4 persons --- presuming 4 and presuming flights from UK to Vegas and then Vegas to Miami, let's say its just airfare and hotel, no car rental, no food, let's say that package is worth $3000 per person, that's another $12,000, so, total prize package of $112,000, at the "stated" ticket cost of $1.70/ticket (more like $1.79, check the current exchange rate on http://www.xe.com/ -- the exchange rate has not been $1.70 for a number of years) that is almost 63,000 tickets just to cover base expenses, they only have 4 months to the drawing and you can't even buy a ticket yet - and the ticket price (despite the title of this message thread) is not posted either...If you don't see advertisements for this soon (such as in Car, Evo, TopGear and the like) then they are going to have a very hard time selling enough tickets. Now, maybe on Apr 27 (date stated on winviper.com) they will answer some of these questions, we'll see....but, just how did 'baz' already come by tickets to "sell"?

Try googling winviper.com, nothing really pops up, so, question is, just how are they promoting this lottery? (MSN pulls up no hits and Yahoo pulls up a few hits, all on automotive forum websites, all promoted by Neil and here by Barry Adams(baz))

So far it just seems the Viper community is being 'advertised to'.

All in all, I smell a rat with this one (hope I am wrong about that...) and I would advise you to wait for some verifiable facts to be presented.

I do plan on calling the Chiropractic organization that has the same street address as this lottery to find out what they can tell me.

I also have a line into the Salisbury Council on this lottery registration to see what they know about it.

-J

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: CAUTION:::Re: WIN A 1998 VIPER GT2 52/100 for £1 ($1.70)

Yellow32,
I'm also quite dubious into the 'company' like yourself, i also did a bit of research last week and found out nothing really except it a new company, I guess this is there very first attempt at running such a raffle judging from their poor website, lack of info, etc so far its looks a very amateur'ish setup. I know Baz was looking into the registration details

Cant say I'm personally promoting the raffle, i've just tried to answer a few questions, though the car does exist you can ask The Wizard to confirm :)
its remained a stock car only seen a few 1/4 mile runs, but it needs some TLC
If I was helping promoting the raffle even with no experience I'd like to think
I'd do a lot better job pushing it on the net,forums,mags,******** clad models at car events :)

Baz got a batch of tickets direct off Steve Kingshott the current UK VCA owner and is trying to help him out, he purchased the vehicle about 4 years ago off Justin Bell via a UK auction. I'm sure a few here must have met Steve at VOI's and Tators BQ

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neil,

Ah, outside of Barry on this forum, you are the sole promoter of this winviper website:

http://www.hsv.org.uk/topic.asp?t=262033&f=76&h=27

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=262033&f=76&h=1

I cannot find any other references to it other than you and Barry...so, like it or not, you are a catalyst...

Tell me what you know about Jon Baverstock of Southampton, he's the guy who set up the website and why would someone from Southampton set up shop in Salisbury, that's a little bit of a drive, not bad, but still, a bit odd. And, why in an office of a Chiropractic organization (odder still).

From what I can tell, Jon is a camera man at a local TV news station.

Yes, I saw in another Viper Club post where Steve Kingshott bought the car several years ago. Maybe Steve knows about about this, especially since he has tickets.

A question for you Neil, in your postings on the other forums (links above) you indicate that "that's a lot of tickets to sell" -- what's that comment based on? Did the winviper website at one time have a ticket price listed because there isn't now. Otherwise, who told you the ticket price?

-J

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The post is off our shared pistonheads.com UK viperclub forum (thats why the replies are the same) where the UK owners know Steve, the car and of the raffle

We all received a flyer/poster and a letter off Steve which mentions an amount the company needs to sell (give me a few minutes and i'll attach the poster) 100K tickets. The poster has the £1 price printed on it thats where Baz got that from and no doubt tele calls from Steve, the UK club is small so everyone knows each other. I havent seen the ticket priced mentioned on the website at all yet... I know nothing of Jon Baverstock, never heard of the guy

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

here you go

You must be registered for see images

I can pass you Steve's number so you can give him a call maybe he will know more, he will gladly chat all day about vipers

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Neil,

Hopefully we'll get some hard and fast answers soon otherwise this does not seem legit at all. For instance, poster mentions nothing about taxes/vat responsibility of winner nor does it define "family" for the 15 day vacation. And, although it says winning ticket will be drawn at the Edinburgh Festival it does not mention (as the website does) that the drawing is on the last day of the nearly month-long festival. I guess whoever "Totally Epic Events" is hoping to post this poster at the Festival since it attracts over 1,000,000 persons.

And, the poster doesn't mention the Lottery Registration either. And what does the poster mean "Draw Tickets Available Here" .. where is "Here"?

Is Steve a Chiropactor/Doctor?

thanks,

-J

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is Steve a Chiropactor/Doctor?
no, since we've all known Steve K he last owned a restaurant business

I havent seen a ticket yet, but Baz told me a few days ago the registation number was printed on them,I'm sure Baz will post a pic of one when he reads these posts. Draw ticket here i guess will apply if they hit some events

here's a pic of the car, taken at a show the end of last year

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don’t think this is a scam, poorly organised for something that is now international yes, but there is a real GT2 viper and the owner does want to get rid of it, he is a well known owner within the VCA and UK VCA and is also a bit of a technophobe so you wont find him on here or any other web site for that matter. To be honest i don’t think they really intended for the tickets to be marketed like this but rather will be selling them to the masses at various events in the UK such as Goodwood FOS etc where they would have the viper on a stand for all to see. Baz is just trying to win the case of bubbly that Steve said he would give to the UK member that sold the most tickets for him.

To put your detective work into context I suggest you look up vio9.com also.

owned by J.R. Thompson Company in MI, its in the same state as dodge and appears to be close to VCA but that’s about it, go to J.R. Thompson Company's web site and there is no mention of such a thing as VOI and why would a company in MI be organising a big party in Vegas. No mention of it on the Venetian’s site either, goggle VOI9 and you get some sporadic hits on viper webs sites but not much, so by the same token I say VOI is a scam. Still going to give them $1600 this week though for supposed tickets and another $1600 to a Venetian’s web page i can only access from the link on the original scam site. A bit more of a risk than the $1.70 or $1.75 for a ticket to this raffle.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ah, but Dave VOI has proven itself over the years unlike the company behind the viper event, cool that your going I had a great time in Dallas

Baz aint after the bubbly, he dont drink :p

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Baz aint after the bubbly, he dont drink :p

No but I do and I'll have it when I'm over next!! :nana:

I got my 1000 tickets coming! :eek:

i've no chance then of either the bubbly or the car then :mad:

Ps I was just making the point that with the same whois data and intermeweb investigation VOI could look just a jubious

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To put your detective work into context I suggest you look up vio9.com also.

owned by J.R. Thompson Company in MI, its in the same state as dodge and appears to be close to VCA but that’s about it, go to J.R. Thompson Company's web site and there is no mention of such a thing as VOI and why would a company in MI be organising a big party in Vegas. No mention of it on the Venetian’s site either, goggle VOI9 and you get some sporadic hits on viper webs sites but not much, so by the same token I say VOI is a scam. Still going to give them $1600 this week though for supposed tickets and another $1600 to a Venetian’s web page i can only access from the link on the original scam site. A bit more of a risk than the $1.70 or $1.75 for a ticket to this raffle.
I'm supposing this is directed at me.

First, so far, the only way to buy a ticket is with cash or supposedly paypal, whereas VOI.9 is all via credit card. Credit card's give you actual protection from scams whereas cash and paypal do not. I think you are in safe hands with VOI.9. By the way, VOI.9 is on the home page of this website -- this website being the VCA home, I think there a significant level of trust created by that association, don't you?

VOI.9 is the 9th annual version of an event, that counts for a lot more than a company that was first formed a mere 2 months ago and claims to have an address in a Chiropractor office and publishes no phone numbers.

Also, the phone number listed for the voi9.com url is a REAL phone number that has been in use for a number of years in the Viper community (248-553-4566)

And, the address listed for the voi9.com website is the same as the Viper Magazine (http://www.vipermagazine.com/contacts/contacts.html).

And, if you call up, you know, on the telephone (no need to use website link provided on voi9.com) the Venetian, there is indeed a room block assigned to VOI.9.

And, if call up Reliable, sure enough, they know about VOI.9

Oh, and if you type this jrthompson.com viper into google you'll get a lot of hits, proving this company is active in the Viper community...

So, what's your point? I mean besides this is not an apples to apples comparison you are making.

I think I'm a bit resentful you are trying to put our community into a bad light with your statements in a vain attempt to make a point.

-J

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.... but there is a real GT2 viper and the owner does want to get rid of it, he is a well known owner within the VCA and UK VCA and is also a bit of a technophobe so you wont find him on here or any other web site for that matter. To be honest i don’t think they really intended for the tickets to be marketed like this but rather will be selling them to the masses at various events in the UK such as Goodwood FOS etc where they would have the viper on a stand for all to see. Baz is just trying to win the case of bubbly that Steve said he would give to the UK member that sold the most tickets for him.

Ah, however, winviper.com claims to be a Lottery and a Lottery has a strict definition:

http://www.salisbury.gov.uk/business/licences/lottery/lottery-faq

pay attention to:

...neither of the above, but are neither for purposes of private gain nor purposes of any commercial undertaking...

So, that means Steve K can't just use the Lottery License to get rid of the car.

Anyway, no one has yet definitively stated that Steve K has signed up with this organization in an effort to raise money for the Edinburgh Festival. So, what is it...Is Steve K working with these folks or not?

I'm sure the car exists and what not, but, is this lottery for real or not?

I will be reporting back tomorrow on what I find out.

-J

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I spoke to Salisbury district council before i even posted this in the first place because i thought the same as you.
I managed to get hold of the manager and she asured me it was all above board and that the registration Nos do exist and are on file.
Here is a pic of the ticket....

As for the $1.70 per ticket that is just what the rate was at the time...And yes i did loose a few pounds in the transactions wich is why i got in contact with Steve to get them put live on the website...
The GT2 does exist and many people have seen it..
If this was a year ago the GT2 would be in my garage and not being raffled off..
Steve is an honest genuine person and I'm sure there are plenty of people that can vouch for that both sides of the pond..

Let me know what you find out tomorrow please???
Also i will be back on the phone to steve..
As far as i know the car (GT2) will be staying with Steve until the draw and Steve gets paid..Then it will be leaving Steves to goto the Lucky new owner..

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yellow32, Nobody here thinks VOI is a scam and nobody that might be drifting through would on the strength of that post think so either so there is no need to be resentful other then if it did actually make the point intended. It was a very direct comparison based on the same facts and sources you have used to determine that the lottery is a scam. Take away the history of VOI and our experiences and look at the facts of the whois lookup results and investigations from there and you can’t come up with any more proof of VOI’s existence that you can this lottery. As you say I can phone the VCA, the organisers and reliable but I’m no better off when doing it out of hours and not getting an answer like you have done.

I can’t deny that the evidence and organisation for this lottery is a bit weak at the moment. You haven’t proved to your own satisfaction that it is genuine but equally you haven’t got any evidence to prove scam, just a lack of either, you admit there are several lines of enquiry you still have to follow up in the morning that will most likely provide some positive evidence, indeed the picture of the ticket baz has posted has the lottery number printed on it, but in the meantime given the measly price of a ticket nobody is going to loose their shirt over night whilst you complete your investigation and I would like to think that fellow members of the VCA would give slightly more trust in other well established members before calling scam on them.

I do hope this post does not inflame the situation further, but when allegations are made against fellow members that I know to be a good people then that needs to be addressed.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperDave,

Please realize that the other UK VCA members already admitted they were not so certain of this organization either. They all know the car owner but that doesn't mean anything in relation to what they don't know (specifically the person(s) running the lottery).

I am not calling scam on the VCA family, I'm calling for caution because this situation is not entirely coherent at the moment. And the folks running the lottery are apparently not VCA members nor are they here to 'speak' for themselves.

And, please realize I think you are wrong: the whois info plus all the web searching turns up a lot more useful and verifible information for the VOI.9 website than it does for the winviper.com website, I had hoped you would have realized that by my response to you. For instance, I had to dig around quite a bit just to find a match for the street address of the whois registration details for winviper.com, happens to be 'owned' by a Chiropractic Charity.

Also, the way you keep mentioning the 'measly price of a ticket' seems to me a scam is ok if you only lose a couple dollars. From what I read here looks like people are ready to purchase $100s of dollars worth of tickets (not 'just one') so you might re-think that idea, no one likes to be scammed even if its for just a small amount of money.

Now if this outfit had their act together I would have not said anything at all. Unfortunately, at this point, they do not.

-J

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: GO FOR IT:::Re: WIN A 1998 VIPER GT2 52/100 for £1 ($1.70)

Hey everyone,

Seems like this is a legit lottery. I have not heard back from all parties involved yet but here's what I have found out:

The address specified for the lottery points to a Chiropractic org, this org has Professor Tony Atkinson as a trustee:

http://www.chiropatients.org.uk/executivecommittee.php

And Tony assists a fellow named Martin Wood (and vica versa).

Anyway, I spoke with a lady from the Chiropractic org and she had Martin call me about "Totally Epic Events", Martin called right back.

Martin told me:

(1) The "Family" vacation package is for 2 persons

(2) The car will be at the Edinburgh Festival - where they will have a full stand (booth area) with drinks/bar, food - Martin says it's a "huge stand" -- the car will be there too

(3) When they draw for the car winner on the last day of the festival the winner can "drive off in the car right then and there"

(4) The tickets will be 1 pound each and will be available on-line soon (by next week for sure)

(5) The proceeds from the lottery will be immediately donated to the festival

Martin says we should all come by the booth at the festival!

Might just do that,

-J

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had a call call from Martin as well ans he asured me it is all above board i even have his Phone Nos now as well...

Think i might just buy some more tickets now....

I have also been in contact with Kingstown shipping the guys i used to bring in my 02 RT/10..And i will have a quote of what it will cost to get the Viper to NY docks..

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/offsite.asp?site=www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk

Click on haulage US collections.....

JT Does this mean you now want some tickets :2tu: :cool:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JT Does this mean you now want some tickets :2tu: :cool:

Absolutely, would be a stunning addition to any Viper collection - the car given to Justin Bell for his involvement at Lemans.

-J

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i've a 10 page glossy article from a UK mag, where Justin drove this car to Lemans along with a reporter (in a golf) and a 911GT for a comprassion, i'll have to scan and post one day its a great read. Justin had to buy the GT2, he paid $90K with a 15% discount, he sold it when he moved to Florida to run the vette driving school

Steve received some pretty cool stuff off Justin along with the car like the winning overalls, helmet etc he was wearing during Lemans :cool:

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A few more pics....
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Neil i got that book to..Great read :2tu:

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad that's all sorted then. Must give Steve a call and get some tickets.