Wind the clock forward 5 years, think there will be more used Gen 5 Vipers available?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought tonight... but historically many were totalled, even right off the dealer's lot due to spinning out into a pole or whatever.

Having traction, launch and stability control, the thought being that this may reduce the number of incidents damaging the car, resulting in a higher resource of Gen 5 cars available for sale in the future used car market? Obviously another important aspect which would be reducing injuries or fatalities, can all of this also have a positive impact on insurance costs that we have to pay?

There's quite a few ignorant first time Viper drivers who plop their butts in the seat and go at it, it's inevitable.. yet there are situations in which a fairly responsible driver was just enjoying some spirited driving and lost control due to whatever surprise circumstance. As we know, there are probably many drivers in which the performance of the car greatly exceeds their driving skills, as all it takes is money to buy the car..

Cheers,
Mike

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wind the clock forward 5 years, think there will be more used Gen 5 Vipers availa

My take is that there will be fewer accidents because of the protections, but fewer cars sold because of the economy. You will see fewer crashed/rebuilt cars. The cars will be in better shape, generally.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wind the clock forward 5 years, think there will be more used Gen 5 Vipers availa

I hope not but I don't think so. No amount of nannies can fix stupid. Especially the kinda stupid that thinks they are invincible because of those nannies.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Time will tell, but I would guess the percentage of wrecked Gen5s will be lower.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There will be still some new 2013 model year cars waiting to be sold still.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Either way, Gen 4 will be the least produced generation of the Viper so far. I like that :)

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think there may be more accidents because of the protections. I know far too many people who automatically assume TC and ESC mean they can drive however they want. The Viper is still a torque monster, and that's what kills. If anything, the TC and ESC may lead to too many drivers thinking they can flog the car without possessing serious driving skill. Torque also plays a huge factor with people who jump ship. I won't name names, but a certain member here ditched his Ferrari and went to a Viper, and not long after he wrecked it. Porsche guys, Ferrari guys, Lambo guys have no conception of what a lot of torque can do. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

As far as sales, spin it any way you want, the Viper is a small niche market. It's not going to be a high volume seller (relatively speaking - i.e. for exotics). Not unless SRT does the unthinkable and creates an entry level model with a V8 for $60k to compete with the vette. They won't do this because that would be a huge slap in the face to the Viper community who appreciate the car's uniqueness. In a couple of years I think there will be a lot of these on dealer lots. There isn't enough long term demand to support anywhere close to 2000 cars a year. After a few years you should be able to have your pick.

These are just my predictions. Who really knows.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you can turn off the trac control=thats the first button a person will hit thats not exsperianced with the car... lol,but not funny

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I think there may be more accidents because of the protections. I know far too many people who automatically assume TC and ESC mean they can drive however they want. The Viper is still a torque monster, and that's what kills. If anything, the TC and ESC may lead to too many drivers thinking they can flog the car without possessing serious driving skill. Torque also plays a huge factor with people who jump ship. I won't name names, but a certain member here ditched his Ferrari and went to a Viper, and not long after he wrecked it. Porsche guys, Ferrari guys, Lambo guys have no conception of what a lot of torque can do. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

As far as sales, spin it any way you want, the Viper is a small niche market. It's not going to be a high volume seller (relatively speaking - i.e. for exotics). Not unless SRT does the unthinkable and creates an entry level model with a V8 for $60k to compete with the vette. They won't do this because that would be a huge slap in the face to the Viper community who appreciate the car's uniqueness. In a couple of years I think there will be a lot of these on dealer lots. There isn't enough long term demand to support anywhere close to 2000 cars a year. After a few years you should be able to have your pick.

These are just my predictions. Who really knows.

BigDawg nailed it. Whereas most people have some idea that snake bite is lurking ANYTIME you drive a Viper, the new car, with all the nannies, will instill a false confidence in the driver. Like was also said." no amount of nannies can fix stupid." I personally think it will be worse. Because of the nannies, people will be going FASTER when they lose control.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That could be true; however, my ZR1 had all the nannies to protect the driver and some still pushed the car beyond those limits.

ZR1.jpg

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BigDawg nailed it. Whereas most people have some idea that snake bite is lurking ANYTIME you drive a Viper, the new car, with all the nannies, will instill a false confidence in the driver. Like was also said." no amount of nannies can fix stupid." I personally think it will be worse. Because of the nannies, people will be going FASTER when they lose control.

DING-DING-DING-DING!!!! Another thing to think about is what BigDawg said about the other brands. Highly nannied, low torque competitor car owners will be shocked. Talked to a sales guy at a Lambo dealership that had a Viper and he was telling me how hard the car was for him to drive. He said it was really 'squirrely' and it honestly scared him. It isn't just the nannies that they are accustomed to.

Audi R8- AWD
Porsche 911 - AWD (I know, not all of them)
Lamborghini Gallardo - AWD
Nissan GTR - AWD

Those owners are used to flooring it always and holding traction while doing it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang