Window Power Problem on 97 GTS...I think its the switch...

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My left and right windows will rarely go up or down on me. I'm sure it's the switch. I took it off a few years ago and bent the prongs a bit to make a better connections and that worked for a while. Now it barely works at all. I didn't know if there was a trick to get it to work again or just buy another one. Is this a common problem? I hate driving with the windows up, sounds weird. Thanks.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the wires in the door jamb harness. I have a 97 and had the same problem and it turned out to be the wire harness that bends in the door jamb. It is a common problem with age and opening and closing the door... causes the wires to degrade and fray. It is a quick and easy repair.....the Viper Wizzard ( Chuck Tator) repaired mine and no problems since....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can take the switches apart and clean the contacts, its a bit fiddly but Ive done it a couple of times. So are you having trouble with Both switches or just one? You could always plug the harness terminal connector into the other switch to check its a switch problem and not a wire problem :)

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the switch apart and opened it up till I got to the copper insides. I bent the part upwards that makes contact because it began to bend the wrong way over the years and that has helped a lot, however it is still not perfect. Guess I have to keep fiddling with it.