Window Problems- Help

autoreality

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a 97 RT/10 and noticed after I got it home the drivers and passengers windows didn't work.:omg:

With the ignition turned on I can hear a slight click in the window motor areas when I push on the switches.

I started by pulling the center bezel off and testing power to the switch which I have. (12 Volts). I then tested the window switch according to my Viper service manual and it checked OK.

I then took off my door panel. I removed the connector from the regulator and also got 12 volts and -12 volts with the meter at the connectors when I moved the switch back and forth. This morning I pulled the window motor and regulator out convinced that was my problem. Hooked it up to a marine battery and it worked up and down just fine. I plugged the regulator back into the connector on the car and it won't move.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any previous problem with the windows since I just bought the car and can't get a hold of the previous owner. What am I missing? Is there possibly a ground problem somewhere?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it had a bad ground one would think you would not have 12 volts to the plug,put it back and jump the ground to ground. does it have a relay? ask around and see if the drivers master switch goes bad.something silly probably

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the longest time I kept pushing this button in front of my shifter waiting for the windows to go up ...... then I realized that I don't have windows :)

Now, what is that darn button for?

OP
OP
A

autoreality

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How could I have a bad regulator when I hook direct to a battery and It works just fine out of the car? Also, its both windows. That doesn't seem logical.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just bought the car, as in a few days ago? Easiest solution would be to speak with the company that sold you the car. If they are legit, they should be happy to assist you.

OP
OP
A

autoreality

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talked to Tator today. I think he has it nailed down. Thanks for giving me the time.:) The wires in the harness between the door and frame are very poor quality.

I believe there is a brake in the ground wire between the door and the frame caused from opening and shutting the door. The reason I'm getting 12 Volts at the regulator connection is because its not completely broke off yet. When I try to open or shut the window and put 12 Volts through the damaged wire it will not run the window motor.

I was really going to start tearing in to the project today, but I want to replace all the wires in the harness in that area on both doors. I still have not driven my or any viper yet and just hate to have it all tore apart right now.

For the summer I'm going to drive a Gen 1 Viper(no windows) and this winter I'll upgrade it to a Gen II.:drive:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car and welcome to the VCA. Quite a rare car, even by Viper standards.
Best colour combo there is!
The wiring in the door jamb area is notorious, easily fixed though. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness