Winter Storage procedures for the newbies (long)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those new to Viper hibernation:

As winter approaches, proper storage practices will insure that your Viper will be the same car you remembered it to be when you last drove it.

Engine and such…
If you’re due for an oil change, now is the time. Same for antifreeze. At minimum, verify it’s protection level. Brake and clutch fluid is another nice pre-winter maintenance item, especially if you’ve tracked the car recently or if it’s been more that two years since last flushed. Verify that your windshield washer fluid has suitable low temperature protection. Lastly and often overlooked is the battery tray. Corrosion runs rampant with a stock style battery and given that the tray is welded to your frame (GENII), keeping it clean and painted is cheap insurance. You’ll need to remove the left rear tire to gain access, but if you haven’t done it in a while, you’ll be surprised how bad it looks back there. Fuel should be topped off to minimize condensation and fuel stabilizer added then run /drive the car long enough to get the fuel stabilizer distributed throughout the system.

This isn’t to suggest that you should rebuild your car every fall, just that if these items are due, pre-storage is a great time to do it.

Body & interior
Wash, thoroughly dry and if possible Zaino the car prior to storage. Pay particular attention to the wheels as you do not want the corrosive brake dust eating your nice rims all winter. I highly recommend using a good quality car cover. Placing a clean cover over the clean body minimizes the risk of scratches. The interior should be vacuumed and all leather cleaned with a suitable cleaner / protector. Once cleaned, I leave both windows open a crack under the car cover to relieve pressure on the weatherstripping and to vent the interior, however if rodents are an issue, seal them up and place a few dehumidifying packages placed on plastic on the floor of the car. You can also place a small Styrofoam block under the wiper arms to keep the blades off the glass in order to extend their life.

Location & method
You’ll need to account for the characteristics of storage location, like the before mentioned rodent prevalence, moisture levels, access to electricity (for battery float charging) etc. Mice love stored cars and will find a way to get either inside of it or under the hood and then chew wiring, so a few well placed traps might be prudent if you’re storing in a location they’re known to inhabit.

Moisture is your enemy too, so putting a layer of plastic sheeting down and then parking the car over it will prevent the moisture that permeates the cement floor from condensing on your frame.

Your tires will flat spot if left in the same position over time. To minimize that occurrence, drive up over a tire sized pads of plywood, covered with a plastic door mat or remnant of old carpet. This in combination with inflating the tires to 44 PSI (or whatever the sidewall maximum is) will help the tires stay true.

Our Vipers will drain the battery rather quickly, sometimes within 2 weeks, even with the alarm off. If you have winter access to electricity, a Battery Tender brand charger or similar is mandatory. There are many “trickle” chargers out there, but over time a trickle charger will boil away your electrolyte, leaving you with a dead battery in the spring. The Battery Tender charger will not. I plug mine into a surge protector to isolate the car’s electrical system from the AC lines, just in case. I’ve also hard wired in the connector to the under hood positive jumper and frame ground in order to make the Battery Tender connection easy and fool proof.

If you do not have a tender or access to electricity you’re left with 2 options. Starting the car every 2 weeks or so (not recommended) or disconnecting the battery completely and periodically charging it manually.

Since the bulk of engine wear occurs at startup, I am of the belief that minimal over winter starting is best. If once every six weeks or so I get a particularly warm day, I start the car to recoat the cylinder walls and move fore and aft a bit to shift the tire position. Some really cold years though, I don’t start it at all. Do whatever feels right to you. If you do start it though, it’s important to let the engine fully warm up in order to evaporate any moisture that’s in the oil and exhaust system. No cold revving and watch the ambient temperatures if you’re using a thicker than stock oil (for example, higher viscosity than the factory fill 10W-30 Mobil 1).

I use my parking brake religiously therefore it’s always operable. If you use it infrequently, you might want to try it a few times to loosen it up prior to winter storage. Assuming the car is dry, using it over the winter should be no problem. If you prefer not to, be sure to securely block the wheels. I do not leave the car in gear over the winter because the rubber insulating boot underneath the leather shifter boot will take a set and make the first day or two of spring driving a bit odd as the set rubber resists as you shift into in any gear other than the one it was in all winter.

Winterization Checklist:

• Full fuel tank
• Gasoline stabilizer added
• 44 psi tire inflation pressure
• Plastic sheet completely under car
• Tires resting on plywood and carpet to minimize flat spots
• Fresh engine oil, possibly brake and clutch fluid too
• Engine antifreeze level verified
• Windshield washer antifreeze checked
• Clean interior and exterior, then cover
• Battery tray and battery terminals inspected and cleaned
• Battery Tender connected
• If needed, mouse traps and dehumidifier bags placed, otherwise windows opened slightly

Spring Checklist:

Don’t forget to adjust tires down to 29 PSI before driving and observe the inflation pressure prior to adjustment. Are they all tires equal or is one low? Could be a slow leak that’ll require watching.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info.

Did they change something with the battery for 02 year? I didn't start my car for 10 weeks and it started right away. Knock on wood, hopefully this will also be the case in Spring...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
GREAT wtiteup, Ron !!

I do place a "red tag" on steering wheel of any car with the "tires hyperinflated for storage"...just to remind myself to DEFLATE them to the proper temp BEFORE driving rather than risk a tire failure on the road...especially as we occasionally have a nice day here before the arrival of Spring.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, Excellent idea. I will do the same.

Simms, Will post a shot later tonight

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can pretty much guess the answer, but this advice basically goes for ANY vehicle right? So if I garage my dunebuggy for the winter....do the same stuff?

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FranciscoR

I say so but just make sure you limit the winter fill to the sidewall max.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alternative installation....

Positive terminal, fused:

You must be registered for see images

Ground:

Stored for summer behind hinge fill panel:

Ready for use, with hood closed (also accessible with hood closed):

In my installation, the battery tender remains external to the car with no holes drilled and no permanant changes.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list, thanks very much.

Since I am one who would ride my Harleys in the winter to keep them "loose" and everything in order, I do the same with the Viper. If the weather/roads are bad for an extended period of time, I will start the car and run until temps are at normal running level.

I will incorporate some of the tips I didn't think of, I do like the carpet under the wheels to reduce flat spotting.

Peter

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list, thanks very much.

Since I am one who would ride my Harleys in the winter to keep them "loose" and everything in order, I do the same with the Viper. If the weather/roads are bad for an extended period of time, I will start the car and run until temps are at normal running level.

I will incorporate some of the tips I didn't think of, I do like the carpet under the wheels to reduce flat spotting.

Peter

I keep a list in the car as well of stuff to remember to do in the spring. Tire pressure is on it. Temporarily running the car with the higher pressure won't hurt anything. I autocross with higher pressure than 44. You'll likely feel the roughter ride as well. However, the biggest thing to remember to do if you have a RT/10 is to relatch the top back down. I keep it unlatched to keep the the pressure off the gasket. I personally know a guy who lost his vert top on the maiden spring voyage a few years back. Top latching is on the list in the car.

I've never had a flat spot problem for 6 months storage with nothing under the tires -- going back 20 years. I think the older tire compounds were more suspect to flat spot. In the old days, we lifted the entire car to get the tires in the air to prevent flat spotting.

Unless you can get your car out on the road for a good run, I don't think it does the engine any good to idle it in the garage. It just can't warm up/boil off the bad stuff properly at idle.

Steve

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list, thanks!!!

I put Bounce dryer sheets in the engine and interior to protect from rodents, some people use moth balls, they work too!

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good check list. I also put tin foil barrier on my exhaust to keep out rodents. Then leave a note to take it off in spring.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DMACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone put theirs on jack stands and remove tires?

V

Venomiss

This is a good thread for new owners. Revived in time for winter.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every winter mine is on the jacks and the tires and rims get placed in the basement in plastic bags. (this is done for no other reason than to keep them clean and out of my way in the garage)

Then the winter projects begin that include lots of cleaning and routine upkeep.

I don't have a winter pic of my current ACR on my work pc but I do have one of my last GTS.

This shows what one does once the kids are asleep on those endless winter nights...

Attachments

• spring2006-110web2.jpg
    spring2006-110web2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 538

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why store it? Its a car, its meant to be driven! If there is less then 2 inches of snow on the ground, I'm driving. Too much money spend to just sit in the garage, I bought mine to drive and enjoy it!

sorry for the rant, carry on

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why store it? Its a car, its meant to be driven! If there is less then 2 inches of snow on the ground, I'm driving. Too much money spend to just sit in the garage, I bought mine to drive and enjoy it!

sorry for the rant, carry on

I don't totally disagree with your position, but I worry more about tire grip in cold weather than keeping it clean. I've been told anything under 50 degrees you should be concerned. I'm over cautious cause I totaled my first Viper on old cold tires and I wasn't messing around.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, 6+ years since I originally posted. Didn't even know it was still out there.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope, we add more air to the tires, cover the cars up after attaching the trickle-chargers. If we get a GOOD day (NO SALT/snow, ice, sleet, stupid-slurry-stuff that eats away at the metals) then we take the cars out and RUN them nice and warmed up. We DO get a few days in the winter when we can do that, and we do. We never take them completely 'off' the road.
~juli

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't totally disagree with your position, but I worry more about tire grip in cold weather than keeping it clean. I've been told anything under 50 degrees you should be concerned. I'm over cautious cause I totaled my first Viper on old cold tires and I wasn't messing around.

I can understand that but that is what insurance is for. If driving normal with decent tires, it shouldnt be any worse then driving any other car in the cold weather. 50 degrees is extreme in my opinion. I drove my GTS last year when it was negative 10-16 out but the roads were fine and it did just fine :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang