Winter Storage

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am out here in Chicago and first winter with the Viper. I researched a lot of storage tips, so thank you. I'm planning on storing in a non temp controled facility only a few blocks from my house. Is it necessary to go through all those steps if i am religious in starting it weekly? Any help is always appreciated

Grape

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Advice I received for winter storage from Viper techie at dealer:

1. Pump the tires up to 40/45 (prevents flat spots later)
2. Change oil and filter
3. Fill gas tank - prevents condensation
4. Detail the car
5. Put cardboard or cloth between windshield and wiper blades
6. Cover the car (available from Dodge)
7. Uncover and start the car weekly, warming up to operating temp. Make sure you have ventilation.
8. Back it up a car length or so - run through the gears a couple of times.
9. Return, park and re-cover.

I will be storing mine (2008 SRT10) in my unheated garage so will be careful not to start the car if temp is 0 F or lower. Major warning in my Owners Manual that firing it up at those temps could result in scuffing. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the earlier V10s.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's another thread on this that was just started with some good tips: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-winter-storage.html?highlight=winter+storage
AHHH, I see it's the same person...twans97/grape? You have a Viper? PM your VIN# to KCObean and he'll upgrade you to VIPER OWNER! You can access lots of information if you join the VCA as well! You have weather almost same as we do, here in Upstate NY. HATE winter, doncha??! ~juli

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add stabil to gas. Instead of weekly start every few weeks and run long enough to blow off condensation. Charge battery once per month or battery tender. Plastic sheeting on the floor if it is bare concrete. Unprotected area from vermin? Set rat traps with a whole peanut on it. Pour out a large can of moth balls around,in and under hood(on a plate) to discourage bugs and vermin. GTS Bruce