Winter "storage"

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live where the winters are usually pretty mild. I am not really planning on winterizing the viper, but, Do you guys think starting car and letting it run for awhile every couple weeks and maybe a trip around the block once in awhile good enough to get my viper through the short winter or should I do more?

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always a good idea to put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank. Other than that, if its inside a garage, you can either pull the battery, or put a tender on it. Then cover it and let it hibernate.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I live where the winters are usually pretty mild. I am not really planning on winterizing the viper, but, Do you guys think starting car and letting it run for awhile every couple weeks and maybe a trip around the block once in awhile good enough to get my viper through the short winter or should I do more?

CLEAN FRESH OIL, esp if you do the occasional warm-up plan....BATTERY TENDER

There is a ton of SEARCHable data on this site.....

Keywords: Hibernation Storage Winter

Last edited:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you let it run, make sure it is up to operating temp before shutting it down. I also store mine for the winter and keep both my cars on large rubber mats in a heated garage. The mats keep moisture from rising out from the concrete and rusting components underneath. THe viper is not as bad due to the skid plates but better safe than sorry.

Bruce

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I store my cars from Oct. to about March or April depending on the weather. I put both cars on a battery tender. Wash and wax to protect the finish. Put a few extra pounds of air pressure ( I only do 5 but some say to inflate to the max the tire will allow) in the tires and carpet squares to help with flat spotting. A full tank of gas in both cars. I used stabilizer in the car one time (the first year I stored my car) and it stalled the day I went to start it in the spring. I now don't use the stabil and when I go to start the cars they start right up each time!!

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i change oil. fill the gas tanks. put mine in car bags that have a zipper that totally encloses the car. and i poked a small hole through the bag to use a battery tender. i also put a an absorbent material like damp-rid to absorb any moisture. doing this for several years with great results. also check the air in the tires.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not start it up and run it unless you will run it over 45 minutes. Need to clear out moisture from exhaust and heat up engine oil to evaporate the mosture created there...so just do the above and leave it alone unless you know your going to be able to drive it a while.

OP
OP
G

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I do store in a heated garage and park on a huge area rug. I will go put a little air in the tires and pick up a battery tender. Thanks again.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i usually just park it and not start the car. most of the time i use a battery tender but sometime i dont even bother with that. never been a problem