Wiring an MP3 player into the stock stereo?

2000 Steel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an Apple iPod MP3 player. I'm trying to hook it into the stereo on my 2000 GTS. I've got a temporary solution, a dongle that broadcasts from the iPod to the stereo on a selectable channel from 88.1 to 88.7. The sound is pretty good, but there is a small whine and I'd like something hardwired.

Here's my questions:

[1] Is there some kind of AUX in on the back of the stock Alpine that I might be able to tap into.

[2] Is the head unit being used as an amp at all? If not, can I just tap right into the amp in the trunk and use the volume control on the MP3 player?

[3] I've heard of stereo taps that go in between the head unit and the antenna and override the antenna when there is a signal. Anyone tried it?

Thanks for any input.

John

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy an FM modulator that is not wireless like yours, but hooks between the stereo and its antenna cable. Should not have that wireless whine. When power goes to it (hook up a simple switch) it overrides the antenna and broadcasts whatever is input to it (via rca cables) over a certain FM frequency. I bought 4 or 5 of these on ebay for around $15 each. You should be able to find one at a local stereo shop for $35-40.

I also have one in my Avalanche and wifes car to use portable mp3 player.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog