With New 600hp Viper, what does that mean for the Comp Coupe?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what does this new viper technology mean for the Comp Coupes??

You think they will be offering a 600+ hp version for those guys? How cool would that be for the track?

Would the New 600 hp production coupe actually out perform the comp coupe given its more powerful motor on the race track? It has the swinging pick up, and a stronger trans. So whats up ? These street cars going to beat the race cars??

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's the reason naykid racing sold their cars only after a year.

ahhh.. but keep in mind they had the srt-10 coupes, NOT the comp coupes. What I am wondering what this means to the comp coupe guys who might have a street car that can beat their race cars?

Jon

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same since the 600+ rumors came out last year. Please Dodge, don't abandon the CC project. Keep it alive and drop the new motor in it.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought the comp coupe took a lot away from the Viper brand. How can you call the standard Viper a race car, when there's a race car version of your race car? What would make more sense is if they combine the comp coupe with the standard coupe and offer a comp package.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hopefully, the comp coupe program will continue.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my guess is it will mean 600 hp comp coupes.

Probably more right? As the comp coupe is more powerful then the srt-10 street counter part. So maybe a 630-650 hp comp coupe?

I might need to buy one of those bad boys :) Wonder what thats going to do to the Comp Coupe market. Since racing IS all about having the fastest car :)

Jon

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Major problem with the comp coupe was as it was not a production car it was never eligible for a lot of World Race Series such as Le Mans and other Euro series and as Dodge wants to be a world player....well.

My guess is within the next couple of year we will see SRT10's as the 'factory race car'. :2tu:

And GM will pull out :buttkick: the Viper then being 'King of the Hill' once again in endurance racing.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comp Coupe will still kick the butt of this street coupe on a track.

Would expect to see the technology transfer to comp coupe fairly rapidly.

No doubt about it. The CC is 500 pounds lighter and the chassis set up is pure race car with multiple cross and tower bracing. While a standard Viper is going sideways or loosing it all together the CC will be gone. Apples and oranges comparison, CC rules...

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the way Oreca build them it isn't a race car is just so different to a road car in all ways.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the way Oreca build them it isn't a race car is just so different to a road car in all ways.

I'm not sure what you mean Paul by it isn't a race car. Carbon fiber body, seperate cowl construction, fully braced chassis set up, motons, on board diagnostics, full cage, fuel cell, wide open exhaust etc. How does this car not qualify as a race car? Dan

Also the CC is set up for World Challenge series and of course SCCA.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, a CC is not a stock car slightly modified. And a World Challenge CC is even faster with more modifications. Better brakes( 100% Brembo), cooling (engine and brakes),different intake, 625 pounds lighter than my '06 FE, plus remapped ECU, headers, cam, lightweight "shorty exhaust, larger injectors, modified susupension and bearings, lightweigth flywheel, cooled rear end,etc.Plus the ground effects are night and day to those of a street car..My '06 could have 750 hp and my WC CC would walk away from it. Even if the street car had slicks. Plus a street car is no where near as safe in an accident (cage/fuel cell/extinguiser system/etc). You cannot compare a street car to a race car. You could get close with lots of money, but why not buy an factory built car to begin with? They spent a lot of money engineering these cars plus you have factory support. To buy one you have to be a semi pro driver at the minimum. They do check out your backround...they don' want some idiot on live TV get killed in one. Apple and oranges bench racers.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It means the CC will go out and kick big ass the first two races then have a huge weight penalty and a restrictor plate opening the size of this smiley :D

let the whining begin

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, a CC is not a stock car slightly modified. And a World Challenge CC is even faster with more modifications. Better brakes( 100% Brembo), cooling (engine and brakes),different intake, 625 pounds lighter than my '06 FE, plus remapped ECU, headers, cam, lightweight "shorty exhaust, larger injectors, modified susupension and bearings, lightweigth flywheel, cooled rear end,etc.Plus the ground effects are night and day to those of a street car..My '06 could have 750 hp and my WC CC would walk away from it. Even if the street car had slicks. Plus a street car is no where near as safe in an accident (cage/fuel cell/extinguiser system/etc). You cannot compare a street car to a race car. You could get close with lots of money, but why not buy an factory built car to begin with? They spent a lot of money engineering these cars plus you have factory support. To buy one you have to be a semi pro driver at the minimum. They do check out your backround...they don' want some idiot on live TV get killed in one. Apple and oranges bench racers.

Thanks for clearing up what I was trying to say Brian. :2tu:

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do agree with you on all the above.

But the Oreca cars have no resemblance to the road car they are space framed huge Brembos, single nut wheel nuts Carbon fibre huge exhaust splitters wings etc.

In fact in the Viper book Justin Bell who won Le Mans 3 times in a Viper descibes driving the race car as the difference in a Formula 1 verses an novice level single seater such as a Formula Ford or VW powered single seater.

All I was trying to do was point out that Dodge would much rather race a car you could own or dream of owning than a purpose built race car that is simple marketing.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

But....
Why did the GTS/R look like the GTS?

The CC doesn't look like the current SRT's, a lot of people would love see Dodge produce the new '08 SRT to look more like the CC.

I expect Dodge to produce some new bodyparts for the CC in the future to have it look more like the roadcars.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure do red but thge profile of the GTS/R was still the same as the GTS unlike the Comp Coup, don't get me wrong I would love to own a CC and even more so as a road car. Thats what the 600hp Viper should look like.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some comparisons a fellow model collector made.....
(Thanks to SubGT from France @Forum Miniature Auto France)

You must be registered for see images

And finally the Vipers....

My conclusion.
A racing car doesn't have to look 100% like its road driven familymember.
But.... the total should at least have the looks of.......
This is where Dodge misstept, the car is too different in the back.

So, they should replace the CC's back and it should be allright again?
What will it take to get the car homologated for Le Mans again?

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that will get it in Le Mans is being a production car.

That is such a pity.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that will get it in Le Mans is being a production car.

That is such a pity.

Then someone needs to mimmic Wayne Finch and customize a stock coupe to a race car :)

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to think about: a 600+ HP comp coupe comes out, (perhaps) lots of folks will dump their current comp coupes. Of course, there will be plenty of pissed-off comp coupe owners, the guys who don't have hugely deep sponsored pockets, etc. But, I bet it would make used comp coupes much more attractive price-wise.

I'm standing by for the first spec'd out Gen III comp coupe to hit the resale market once the new 600+ HP ones roll out, and I think $70K or so would be a nishe price, eh?

;-)

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly my thought....

The new SRT's look to be the SRT-R's of the future.
I think this is the oppertunity for DC to get into Le Mans again.

They showed they can make a 675 BHp car. With some modifications..... similar thing happened to the GTS to make it the GTS/R, it could be a racer again.

This would only mean the SRT would have to be in a higher class (GT2) as the Competition Coupe (GT3) to continue both.

Similar situations to Porsche and Ferrari.
They build cars with lots of horsepower..... the cars can be upgraded to a race spec (homologated to race in Le Mans).
And.... for real heavvy racing, there are allready partially upgraded cars available, like the GT3 RS and the 360 Stradale etc.
So, this proves to me there could be a SRT-R and a client race spec CC both together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4