WOO HOO! Finally - first race, and it was a great one!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you will recall, I picked up my 98 GTS the last day of June 2004 and have been lamenting that I cannot raise any race action (except for a punk in a Tiburon, and a guy in a SLK55 with his wife who launched on me in heavy traffic that I did not mention in earlier posts).

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=459581&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Well finally, I got into a race, and it was AWESOME. I'm way out in East Mesa. If any of you have been to the east end of the Phoenix Metro Area you know this is BFE. Very new five-lane road with hardly any traffic. I pull up to a red light first in line, and look in the rear view mirror. Turbo 996 with body kit pulls up behind me. I look out front and realize there are no traffic inlets from the side for as far as you can see. Nothing on the side of the road. I figure I might luanch slow and see if he will pull up and go from a roll, but then I decide to launch hard and figure I can always slow down. I do a pretty good launch for 50F ambient tires but get a bit of wheel hop that slows me down. I look for the P-Car and sure enough he launched hard and has switched lanes. He gets his nose up to my tail (dang AWD is amazing), I'm no longer traction limited and it is game on. We ran hard (the pull was leveling out up in the rev range so I short shifted at about 5k to 5.5k) all the way to deep fourth gear - 130 mph. Result? Dead heat. As tied as you can get. His nose was on my tail at 130. I might have gained a few feet on him from 60-100 but he was right there at the end. We hit the binders and give each other massive smiles and thumbs up. Best part is after we get back down to the speed limit, we hit an auto and a motor cop who have someone pulled over from a speed trap they had set. Wow what a fun Wednesday. I sure hope that Porsche had a chip or was at least an X50 because I did not pull on him. I bet I could own this Viper for ten years and never get into that safe and that fun of a race. Awesome.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have gotten his number and set up a rematch!
I should have stopped so I could learn what mods he has. Maybe I can find him on a local P-Car board. Maybe Supra Enthusiast who posts on this board knows the car (he seems to know everyone).

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phoenix, was it a yellow 996? If so, I'd bet it was Guilly (Supra on this board). It puts out around 500hp I think and TT.

We got together for a cruise last week and there was a supercharged Pantera there that way cool as well as other hot cars . :2tu:

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phoenix, was it a yellow 996? If so, I'd bet it was Guilly (Supra on this board). It puts out around 500hp I think and TT.

We got together for a cruise last week and there was a supercharged Pantera there that way cool as well as other hot cars . :2tu:
The Porsche was black. It had either the optional body work or an aftermarket body kit on it which leads me to believe it had some work done (I hope 'cause it was fast). Guilly is "Supra Enthusiast" I mentioned above. Maybe he knows the guy (who looked 40-something). I wanted to go on that run ou mention, but was stuck installing a water softener at my house that day (plus it rained so I might have chickened out anyway). The AZ Viper Club is having their holiday dinner this Saturday. Don't think I'm going to that, but let's do Pavilions sometime. I would like to hear the Corsa and maybe get a ride with your short gears.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely wasn't me and I don't know many people with 996TT's.

I bet that car you raced was modded. My 996TT has a few mods and is "supposed" to be good for ~500 HP/TQ. But it's dead even with a friend's automatic BPU Supra (~410 RWHP) from a ~60 MPH to 120 MPH roll. BPU Supras like his are usually about as fast as stock Gen II Vipers. So with your mods your car would have been faster than a stock Viper or a BPU Supra like his and thus I'm sure faster than my 996TT.

The Porsche was black. It had either the optional body work or an aftermarket body kit on it which leads me to believe it had some work done (I hope 'cause it was fast). Guilly is "Supra Enthusiast" I mentioned above. Maybe he knows the guy (who looked 40-something). I wanted to go on that run ou mention, but was stuck installing a water softener at my house that day (plus it rained so I might have chickened out anyway). The AZ Viper Club is having their holiday dinner this Saturday. Don't think I'm going to that, but let's do Pavilions sometime. I would like to hear the Corsa and maybe get a ride with your short gears.