Woodhouse Performance - New Wing/Splitter

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First, I must say, I rarely post on the VCA forums, I guess I don’t have much to say. However, I’m an avid Viper owner. I’m not one of those that polish my car and put maybe 1000 miles a year on it. I race mine. I have about 35K miles on my 2006 Coupe right now and almost all of those miles are track miles or miles getting to the track.

That said, I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting an ACR but just couldn’t justify it in my head because of all the money I’ve spent on my ’06 Coupe and comparing that to the track advantages I already have vs. the advantages of the ACR. I put it all on a spreadsheet a couple of months ago and came up with these reasons for keeping my 06 Coupe:
1. My coupe’s suspension is better than the ACR because I have Moton’s with Eibach springs. Right now, I have 900 lb. front springs and 1100 rear.
2. My coupe’s differential is better than the ACR because I have a Quaife.
3. I have Ballenger headers and cats and put about 470 HP to the rear wheels which is about 50 HP less than a new, stock ACR. 50 HP on a road course isn’t very significant although more HP is always better.
4. All I was really missing was a splitter and wing to be competitive with an ACR.

Enter Woodhouse Performance. I talked to Bob Woodhouse a number of times to work out what I wanted. At first, I thought I wanted the ACR wing and splitter. However, these were not available at the time. I hear that they are now but the price is around $14K and that’s not installed or painted to match the car. If I’m wrong about that price, please let me know since I’ve not really investigated it.

So, Bob and I talked a lot and worked out a solution. The solution was to put on a Comp Coupe wing (the newer model) and a Comp Coupe splitter. Both are carbon fiber and lightweight and the price installed and painted to match was going to be around $9K. Sounds like a deal, right?

I needed to get my car to Blair, Nebraska so I bought air travel from Omaha to Frisco with a return flight back to Omaha. I drove my car up to Blair to drop it off and Bob was kind enough to take me to the airport and we talked a lot along the way. They had my car about a week and when ready I took my return flight back to Omaha and Bob was there to pick me up. Bob is a great guy.

Well, the car looked fantastic. He and Rick Maxwell set it up like the do their comp coupes with the same wing angles and rake and I got a track alignment as well. I had a track alignment before but they made their adjustments based on their track expertise. I drove the car home that day and immediately noticed the downforce. It felt like a large hand was pushing down on the car once I got over 70 MPH or so. Weight without mass is a wonderful thing.

I’ve now been to the track 2 times since I picked it up from Woodhouse Performance on Sept 18th. My home track is Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. I ran only 3 sessions that day because I was tuning the suspension. After my 3 sessions, I not only broke my all-time best time, I was consistently doing so and doing so easily. My best time before the wing/splitter was 1:22.9 and that was a one time thing where I was using all my abilities. My normal average out there was mid 1:23s and low 1:24s. After the wing/splitter, 70% of my times were in the 1:21s with my best time of a 1:21.2. Also, I wasn’t aggressively driving 100% because I was still getting used to the added downforce. I believe that I can consistently get times in the low 1:20s and possibly high 1:19s on the 1.7 track and that’s on old scrub tires. If I went to new tires, I’m sure I can get into the 1:18s. Needless to say, I was shocked and how much better my lap times were. I’m getting close to the times that purpose-built race cars like the Porsche GT-3 Cups and Comp Coupes routinely get out there and yet my car is street legal and I drove it to the track.

Downforce is subtle. You don't necessarily feel like your driving around turns much faster but the clock will prove it. It should be that way. I shouldn't have to feel like I'm driving it harder to get a better time. The car simply handles better and as a result turns in better lap times.

One other thing… I’ve compared my wing/splitter to the ACR wing/splitter. My wing is about 4”-5” wider on either side than on the ACR giving my wing about 8”-10” more width. That has to give me a little better downforce than the ACR wing, I would assume. Also, the front splitter is wider and sticks out about 2”-3” farther than the ACR which also increases downforce.

All-in-all, I couldn’t be more pleased with my car, my lap times, and Bob and Rick’s work. So, if you are contemplating the ACR but have a 2006 or 2008 Coupe, I suggest you check out Woodhouse and see if they can get you there a tad cheaper than dumping what you have for the new ACR. Nothing against the ACR. If I didn’t already have the ’06 Coupe and all the work I’ve done to it, I would have bought the ACR. But, I effectively have that now and I’m very happy.

I've included some links to pictures below:

Pics: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fergy,

Good write up, amazing improvements with the aero. Like you I'm sticking to my '06 coupe for the reasons you stated. 9K is a better deal than 14K but still isn't cheap. Great alternative to ACR parts and proven results from Woodhouse. How easy is it to pull off the front splitter for street and to/from track driving? Also, is it very straight forward to remove the rear wing? As wide as it is I'm not sure if I could park the viper under my 4 post lift (or want to draw the attention on the street).

Thanks again for the write up! Good luck getting into the 18's!! Mike

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fergy,

Good write up, amazing improvements with the aero. Like you I'm sticking to my '06 coupe for the reasons you stated. 9K is a better deal than 14K but still isn't cheap. Great alternative to ACR parts and proven results from Woodhouse. How easy is it to pull off the front splitter for street and to/from track driving? Also, is it very straight forward to remove the rear wing? As wide as it is I'm not sure if I could park the viper under my 4 post lift (or want to draw the attention on the street).

Thanks again for the write up! Good luck getting into the 18's!! Mike

The front splitter doesn't come off easily. From my experience so far, it really isn't necessary. It's got about a 3 1/2" clearance and I don't have any problems driving it on the street, going up the incline into my garage, speed bumps, or other normal driving conditions. Granted, I need to be careful in some places, but common sense is all that's needed from scraping it. The splitter goes back about 3 feet under the car and is not just a strip along the front of the car.

The wing will go where the car goes. :) It's not wider than the car even though the picture taken from the back makes it look like it is. It is exactly as wide as the car at the car's widest point which is the rear fender width. When I first saw a picture of it and before I saw the car in person, I was nervous that the wing was too wide. It's not. It's perfect. One of the other pictures shows a picture from above showing from the front of the car to the back and you can easily see it's not too wide. If you want to take it off, there's only 4 screws, I think and then it comes right off.

I forgot to mention, the downforce does more than allowing you to drive faster through the turns. It also allows you to slow the car faster because of the extra downforce (weight) on the tires. The tires grip better for turning and braking so I can go full throttle into a turn longer before braking and then maintain a higher rate of speed through the turn. The downforce does bring with it some drag but really that only limits my top speed to about 175 or 180 which I never get to on the track.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for this write up. I am drooling over an ACR even though it may not be possible, nice to know there are other options. Do they have a similar kit for the other gen Vipers?

Reaction score
Kevin,

Great write up by the way I can really "feel" your enthusiasm come through. If anyone is interested in this set up I can help them through the process. Right now it is not being offered as a do it yourself installation. We are working on a installation manual and process to help you through it if you plan on tackling it yourself. It is very labor intensive including some frame modifications for the mounting points.

The retail pricing is set and I can offer to help with transporting your car to and from the shop for a fee and or get you the parts if you feel you posses the skill to do it, this is basically the Competition Coup WCGT setup so you KNOW it works as Kevin has said.

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Follow-up on Woodhouse Performace Wing/Splitter:

I just got back from Viper Days at Texas World Speedway. It was a great event, by the way, and more of the VCA should get involved with Viper Days. It's fun, you meet lots of other Viper owners, and it's the only place you can legally see what a Viper is all about. Anyway, I happened to win first place in my class of Super Modified. Not that I won any money (just a trophy), but I wouldn't have come close to winning if it hadn't been for the wing and the splitter. Not only was my best time a 1:53.5, I had a lot of times in the 1:53s. I'm sure if I'd put on new tires for Sunday that I could have dropped into the 1:52s. My times were better than a number of Comp Coupes on the race group and the only cars that beat my time were race-prepped, non-street legal race cars. Not bad for my street legal, daily driver that got me to and from the track with no mechanical problems. I posted some videos on YouTube of me and Tom Antonnelli in his beautiful Comp Coupe. Although I did post a better time than Tom in this session, Tom later posted a 1:51 flat on his last session on Sunday which was beat only by the World Challenge cars in the race group.

Videos: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nice looking set up.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fergy nice write up! Thanks for the pictures also. I see you are still running stock rotors and it looks like you moved the front calipers to the back and back to the front at some point! I think the stop tech or euro tech rotors will help with the heat build up and stopping performance. What pads are you using on the track. I have found Carbotech #10 and #12 work great and are rotor and wheel clear coat friendly. Lets get those lap times down as low and safely as possible. I too have run with Viper Days they put on a great event. I only took 2nd, at VIR, the last time I dorve with them.
Love the videos.

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fergy nice write up! Thanks for the pictures also. I see you are still running stock rotors and it looks like you moved the front calipers to the back and back to the front at some point! I think the stop tech or euro tech rotors will help with the heat build up and stopping performance. What pads are you using on the track. I have found Carbotech #10 and #12 work great and are rotor and wheel clear coat friendly. Lets get those lap times down as low and safely as possible. I too have run with Viper Days they put on a great event. I only took 2nd, at VIR, the last time I dorve with them.
Love the videos.

I run stock rotors and I have not reversed the position of the calipers. I run PFC 01s up front and PFC 97s in the back. The car stops extremely well and at this point I don't care to change anything. The discolored rear rotors are due to the heat. The front rotors get plenty of air, I guess. I removed the parking brake calipers because they rub and cause excessive wear and heat. I may have the calipers removed and repainted someday. Maybe pink? :)

I'm very careful on the track. I'm actually afraid most of the time which keeps me from running off the track in a ball of flames. I slowly sneek up to the edge and try to look over but not slip and fall. ;)

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used PFC also and they do work GREAT, but I found them to eat up my rotors, and brake dust hard to remove., So I tried EBC yellows and blues, Mintek, Brakeman, and Carbo teck. Stayed with carbo teck, for proformance and rotor and wheel friendlyness, they will wear out quicker than PFC. I did notice the discoloration in the rear rotors, that is why I asked or guessed that you switched. I too try to sneak a peak over the edge, but someone pushed me and I took a tumble it was not fun.
Be safe!

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used PFC also and they do work GREAT, but I found them to eat up my rotors, and brake dust hard to remove., So I tried EBC yellows and blues, Mintek, Brakeman, and Carbo teck. Stayed with carbo teck, for proformance and rotor and wheel friendlyness, they will wear out quicker than PFC. I did notice the discoloration in the rear rotors, that is why I asked or guessed that you switched. I too try to sneak a peak over the edge, but someone pushed me and I took a tumble it was not fun.
Be safe!

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into rotors and find out about Carbo teck. I'm always willing to try something different.

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kevin:

What camera are you using for the video?

Rich

I'm using a Canon FS100 mounted to the inside of the windshield with a Woods Powr-Grip. A 32G SD card will provide about 8 hours of video in I also use the Racelogic PerformanceBox for collecting the data and then use TrackVision Pro for overlaying the video with the gauges and track map. It's kind of a hodge-podge system, but it works pretty well and I can easily take all or part of it and put it on another car or on my motorcycle. The full-blown Traqmate system would be better but it's about $2K and is mounted in the car making it difficult to use on other vehicles. However, it overlays the video with data in realtime.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Boxer ----- you don't want only a front splitter , as this would cause the rear end to get light at speed, so not a good benefit and in fact , downright dangerous.

Reaction score
There are lot's of cars out running around with just generic wings or kits that are all "for looks". The fact of the matter though is when you have an actual engineered part that was created to "do something" they should always be used as a system. You should also pay attention to the affects they have on handling in a closed course environment so you know for sure how adjustments will effect your cars balance and braking ability.

These parts, whether off of the ACR or the performance systems offered through Woodhouse Performance are serious pieces and should be used as instructed.

Thanks,

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was running at TWS as well this weekend and I was in Fergy's "White" group on Sunday - he's not kidding on his times and how the car performs. I've got an 04, basically stock except for a few safety add ons (Autoform roll bar, seat belts and SS Brake lines) and have been driving track events for about 18 months - so I'm "fair" at this activity - BUT he blew by me every session (As he did most people that day). After he passed (lapped) me, I tried to keep up and gave up after about 100 feet (that's about 1 second)! He basically finished in 1st place in the white group on every session - combined good driver and great car make for great times!

We watched the red "race" group together and wondered that if he was out there, and averaged the 1:53's and 1:54s he did both days, he would have finished about the middle of the pack with the Comp Coup group - and these are guys that are spending big money on their race habit (with all due respect to them and their skills)!

At this point, Fergy has replaced every component on the car (except the rotors as perviously mentioned) - Fergy, what's next????

The good news for the rest of us is that we all now have a map on how to set up our car like his .... now, if I only had $50K and was a better driver!

Good job Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer ----- you don't want only a front splitter , as this would cause the rear end to get light at speed, so not a good benefit and in fact , downright dangerous.
LOL...who would use a front splitter without a rear wing??? The reason I am asking is because I don't like the CC front plank (and was being polite to the poster by not saying so directly), and was wondering if there is still money to be saved using the ACR front and CC rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was running at TWS as well this weekend and I was in Fergy's "White" group on Sunday - he's not kidding on his times and how the car performs. I've got an 04, basically stock except for a few safety add ons (Autoform roll bar, seat belts and SS Brake lines) and have been driving track events for about 18 months - so I'm "fair" at this activity - BUT he blew by me every session (As he did most people that day). After he passed (lapped) me, I tried to keep up and gave up after about 100 feet (that's about 1 second)! He basically finished in 1st place in the white group on every session - combined good driver and great car make for great times!

We watched the red "race" group together and wondered that if he was out there, and averaged the 1:53's and 1:54s he did both days, he would have finished about the middle of the pack with the Comp Coup group - and these are guys that are spending big money on their race habit (with all due respect to them and their skills)!

At this point, Fergy has replaced every component on the car (except the rotors as perviously mentioned) - Fergy, what's next????

The good news for the rest of us is that we all now have a map on how to set up our car like his .... now, if I only had $50K and was a better driver!

Good job Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're very gracious, Tim. The wing and splitter definitely made the difference between winning and losing. As far as changes to the car, here's everything I've done to it:
  • Quaife differential
  • Motons with Eibach springs
  • Bellenger headers/cats
  • Fidanza lightweight flywheel
  • 6 point harness for driver/passenger
  • Short throw shifter
  • Forgeline racing wheels with slicks
  • Woodhouse installed Comp Coupe wing/splitter
That all totals to about $28K. By far, the biggest improvment in lap times would be the wing and splitter. The thing Bob Woodhouse tells me to do next is monoballs for the suspension. But, a rollcage, fire suppression system, and a fuel cell is in order too. Maybe I should just bite the bullett and buy a comp coupe.

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL...who would use a front splitter without a rear wing??? The reason I am asking is because I don't like the CC front plank (and was being polite to the poster by not saying so directly), and was wondering if there is still money to be saved using the ACR front and CC rear.

It's not about looks for me. It's about performance. The ACR splitter isn't quite as effective as the comp coupe splitter and the CC wing is about 10" wider. I've seen a number of ACRs up close and can assure you the CC splitter looks fine in comparison and performs better. If I were a car polisher and not tracking my car, I might disagree with my statement. But, since I prefer function over form when on the track, I prefer the CC splitter. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. ;)

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious for that kinda money you coulda got a supercharger, and Im thinking your times would be alot faster with 200+ more hp than just the splittler/wing.

Reaction score
Not true, The best place on a road course or auto cross to pick up time is in the slowest parts or the course. The turns are where you can maintain more momentum and this also increases your speed down the straights. The S/C would be faster in the fastest parts of the course but would not help in the slowest.

Just curious for that kinda money you coulda got a supercharger, and Im thinking your times would be alot faster with 200+ more hp than just the splittler/wing.

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

200+ HP only helps on the straights. If I were drag racing, then you'd be correct. Road racing is much different. Being able to turn at high rates of speed is much more important than drag racing down the straights. Now, if I added HP on top of all these things, I could reduce my lap times by making up time in the straights but if I didn't already have the suspension upgrades, wing/splitter, etc., then the HP just wouldn't make make much difference.

One example is that my straight-line speed is reduced now that I have the wing/splitter. On the videos I posted, notice how fast I'm going down the long, banked straight. I maybe got to 135 or maybe touch 140. Before I put on my wing/splitter I could get to 150 easily. And yet, my lap times are probably 4 seconds a lap faster with the wing/splitter than without even though my top speed down the straight is reduced due to drag. It's a trade-off. Now, if I had more HP to increase my speed down that straight, then my lap times would be a little less but not by as much as you might think. Also, too much HP in road racing can cause the throttle to be more sensitive and make it more difficult to keep the car under control. The last thing I want is a 700 HP car this is continually beat by Miatas. ;) Muscle cars don't do well in road racing. It takes more finesse.

OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not true, The best place on a road course or auto cross to pick up time is in the slowest parts or the course. The turns are where you can maintain more momentum and this also increases your speed down the straights. The S/C would be faster in the fastest parts of the course but would not help in the slowest.

Exactly. I've only been tracking my car for about 2 1/2 years now but I've learned a number of things. One of those things is that your ego of having lots of raw HP can be easily dashed when a Mazda Miata passes you with the top down. Lots of raw HP is only for drag strips and showing off and means nothing on a road course. Road racing requires finesse much more than raw HP.

Mark, thanks for setting me up with the PS Cups. Although I don't track them, they're great tires for the street. No more slipping and sliding except during the rain. :)

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
fergy, very nice videos. Looks like a tons of fun.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still think the 200 hp would help you be faster everytime you hit the gas. Yes the splitter will help you , you already have that now :) Some other things would be lightweight rotors or wheels would make you faster with less unsprung weight, remove your passenger seat for the course, lightweight battery I've seen em as low as 8lbs total weight. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still think the 200 hp would help you be faster everytime you hit the gas. Yes the splitter will help you , you already have that now :)

Yes. I believe you believe that. My experience tells me otherwise. Based on what your signature says about your mods, you've done nothing to help your car make a turn; only go straght faster. I've passed many cars on a road track with 800 HP and most drivers are shocked or pissed. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang