Woodhouse poly motor mounts ??

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked, and I've got over 3,000 miles since changing the mounts, and it's still a problem. If you click on this link to a recent auto-cross, you can see the vibration both when I'm idling at a stop in the start box, and especially when I let out the clutch or accelerate hard. The camera is an optically stabilized HD video cam ($$$) mounted on a steel bar with a 6" suction cup and a 34-lbs support rating. It's fair to say that it is accurately tracking the car body vibration. Sorry for the long (5 minute?) download time - we're still working on a better solution. If you have any trouble playing it, try using the VLC player - it's fast, lightweight, and plays everything.

I also used to to miss the 3-4 upshift occasionally. When I changed out the engine & tranny mounts, I also changed the shift knob to a MGW short knob, and the shifter mechanism to a B&M, based on the positive feedback I had gotten. Now my 3-4 upshifts are flawless - haven't missed one. But I'm missing the 4-3 downshifts instead. The B&M shifter has a much different feel. I've determined that this is simply an operator-error, focus issue - not the hardware.

So, is this normal vibration for these high-durometer mounts, or do I likely have an install problem? If this is normal, is there an alternative that is somewhere between the stock mounts and these, that will alleviate most of this vibration? I would happily switch to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Steve

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flippin Heck :omg: That one hell of a lot of traffic cones! That looked like a minefield!

But anyways back to the subject in hand, yes you can see the Vibration!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason behind this post and my initial questions:
Seems like on one side of the mount, the bolt and "tab" are not the same distance apart as the other side. Not much... .050 or so as I recall. So on the upper side, the tab did not go into the slot. This can only be seen by using a small mirror and inspecting from below. The result was an "intermittent" noise that sounded lEXACTLY like a bad bearing. Suspects being Chips supercharger or transmission :omg:

SHORT VERSION:
After pulling his transmission AGAIN ( had just done a clutch/bearing) and installing ANOTHER throwout bearing ....the noise was still there ..... then pulling the transmission AGAIN and installing my spare transmission the noise was still there :dunno: Read R&R transmission three times.
At some point late in the day on one of the many test drives Chip noticed that it seemed to show only when starting up hill and the steering barely turned. From there we were able to make it make noise at will. After we could duplicate the noise we figured out by putting pressure on the engine we could make it stop. So on to inspecting the mounts and finding the tab was not seated. After an hour of the two of us and multiple pry bars and 2x4's we gave up on moving the engine/mount enough to get the tab in the hole and removed the new poly mount, flipped it over and it fit fine. It was really surprising that with all the bolts tightened up that there was enough movement/vibration when the front tires were turned to make the noise. It made for a REALLY long day. And yes, we still have to swap transmissions again :D
Chip can add to this, I've tried to forget the ordeal :rolaugh:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. It was a looong day of troubleshooting a "bearing squeak". Would never have thought motor mount was the culprit (hence, the last thing to check that was changed). Tony was very patient and persistent in the whole ordeal. If there's a record for how long it takes to swap trannies, Tony's got it.
Moral to the story: make sure you've got the mounts in the right position and the tabs inserted in the slot all the way. Even if it seems right, double check it with a mirror if you have to:D

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Related question. I have the woodhouse polymounts. They appear to be mounted correct. I am experiencing vibration. They have been on the car for about 1,000 miles.
1997 GTS with belanger headers, porting etc.

The question concerns the nature of the vibration.

The vibration varies through the REV range. Probably peaking/begining at around 2250 RPM.
Then it varies up to around 4750. Then drops out from there up. The vibration is consistent not dependent on movement. i.e. same result if parked pressing on the throttle.

Any thoughts? Have those who have put the mounts on the car experienced similar?
This is not a shocking or an amazing amount of vibration but just trying to determine if I should look further.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had any signs of melting on there mounts. I've melted 2 driver side mounts. Last one wasn't as bad as the first as it just melted where the heat shield didn't protect it as they aren't long enough. First one though didn't look good @ all.

1st one:

2nd one:

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say you need much better heat management. Those engine mounts may only be the beginning of what those headers are going to destroy. Stiffer engine mounts WILL transmit vibrations through the car. The factory does testing with all this stuff. Like everything there is always a trade off, stiffer mount equals more vibration. These are two perfect examples of aftermarket products that increase performance on the one hand and decrease long term reliabillity. This is not a dig towards either product mind you, but a simple example of how a small change can cause an unforseeable (to the novice) domino effect.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say you need much better heat management. Those engine mounts may only be the beginning of what those headers are going to destroy. Stiffer engine mounts WILL transmit vibrations through the car. The factory does testing with all this stuff. Like everything there is always a trade off, stiffer mount equals more vibration. These are two perfect examples of aftermarket products that increase performance on the one hand and decrease long term reliabillity. This is not a dig towards either product mind you, but a simple example of how a small change can cause an unforseeable (to the novice) domino effect.
Headers are ceramic coated and I still run factory heat shields as well. Motor is completely out of the car now and I don't see signs of any other kinda of heat damage. No melted wires etc... I think I may just try and have some new heat shields made or maybe Woodhouse can make something up for me not sure. I know I'm harder on products then most as I track the car but I still didn't expect this. Just glad I always check things before heading to the track.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have a close look at mine and put some extra heat shielding around them :) MTGTS Thanks for posting up those pics, I had not given engine heat any thought!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have a close look at mine and put some extra heat shielding around them :) MTGTS Thanks for posting up those pics, I had not given engine heat any thought!
Yeah, I'm guessing most people wouldn't notice but I did. If you're running factory headers I wouldn't worry to much. But, if you're running aftermarket I think it's something that you def. have to check 3-4 times a year.

Reaction score
Just an FYI this is the ONLY issue the mounts have had in the entire time we have sold them. I would suspect as we have talked that the headers are closer (brand) and the heat shield needs more air space between the mount and the shield for air flow. The tin on the shield is very close to the mount and will radiate even more heat to the mount if you look at the proximity you will see what I mean.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the air fuel ratio is to lean or rich the headers will be hotter then normal. Also, the mount heat sheild in the picture looks like someone cut it.

Has anyone had any signs of melting on there mounts. I've melted 2 driver side mounts. Last one wasn't as bad as the first as it just melted where the heat shield didn't protect it as they aren't long enough. First one though didn't look good @ all.

1st one:

2nd one:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Related question. I have the woodhouse polymounts. They appear to be mounted correct. I am experiencing vibration. They have been on the car for about 1,000 miles.
1997 GTS with belanger headers, porting etc.

The question concerns the nature of the vibration.

The vibration varies through the REV range. Probably peaking/begining at around 2250 RPM.
Then it varies up to around 4750. Then drops out from there up. The vibration is consistent not dependent on movement. i.e. same result if parked pressing on the throttle.

Any thoughts? Have those who have put the mounts on the car experienced similar?
This is not a shocking or an amazing amount of vibration but just trying to determine if I should look further.

Some info on mechanical vibrations. If the vibration exists across a wide rpm range, it probably existed previously, but, was masked by the softer oem mount. However, if the vibration only exists at one or two short rpm spans, that is a resonant vibration and the poly mount has tuned with a natural engine vibration and has magnified that insignificant vibration. I changed my transmission mount and now have a livable, but, noticeable vibration from 2250 to 2600.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat shield on your motor mount has definitely been cut on. Comparison...

Yours...

IMG_15992.JPG

Mine (with the headers removed)...

You must be registered for see images

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was dyno tuned with an SCT so the tune was good. I cut the heat shield to make it easier to get in and out if I remember correctly. Notice the side that was cut is NOT the area where melting is occurring. I cut the side AWAY from the header, not the one closest to it for this very reason. The 2nd one melted UNDER the heatshield in the small area where the heat shield dows not extend far enough down to.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Woodhouse mounts induced vibration as well. Actually vibrates the mirrors on the doors making it a bit blurry to view while driving. No issue with heat melting them...but I do have my Bellanger headers wrapped. Have had them for 3+ years.