Work-in-Progesss. New Hardtop from A.P. Engineering

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost done with the new Hardtop for SRT. The top shown here is the "sculpture" and not a real top at all so it is not mounted and has no latch system of any kind. The final version should be ready for sale in about two weeks. I am showing it to get feed back before mold are made. I actually wanted to post these here yesterday, but the server was down. I did get some feedback from the alley which led to a new window shape that you see here.

Like I said, it's not finished, but I want to know if the basic shape looks good for most. I really like it. It used to be totally smooth, but looked like poo-poo with a hard edged car.

Let the roasting or praise begin.

Jeff

1186P1010096-med.JPG

1186P1010103-med.JPG

1186P1010104-med.JPG

1186P1010102-med.JPG

1186P1010091-med.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed in these photos that the top is not sitting on the car correctly. Like I said, no latches yet so expect a better fit.

Jeff

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I vote 'NO' for the flat roof -- it doesn't match the curvy shape of the car. Someone needs to make a roof with a 'double bubble' as on the Coupes ...

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a car designer, I'm going to chime in. It looks GREAT!! If I had an SRT, I'd buy it in a heart beat. The flatness and creased corners tie in with the rest of the car (flat hood & trunk). WELL DONE!! my only concern is the window area....is it a soft plastic (ala convertible) or a solid piece of lexan?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a hole at this point. It will be flush mounted tinted Lexan.

From designer to designer, I'm glad to know that you see where I'm going with this.

Jeff

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff - I like the integration of the front edge to the windshield frame. How does the head room compare to the soft top? I think it looks a lot better than the vipermania top but also would like to see what your overall design would look like with a double roof bubbles.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the inner liner done yet but from what I can tell there is about a 1" loss in headroom.

Ferrari's and Lambo's were my dream cars when I was younger. I am obsessed with low profile styling. I can't help it.

Jeff

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best one yet. I also think the low profile looks better than would a "double bubble". Keep the "double bubble" on the GTS. JMO.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow - that's the best looking top I've seen yet. It has the exact same shape as the rag top (which is a good thing). All the other tops I've seen are simply butt ugly. How much will this one cost?

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best one yet. I also think the low profile looks better than would a "double bubble". Keep the "double bubble" on the GTS. JMO.

I agree. It looks like it belongs on the SRT. Very cool :2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - that's the best looking top I've seen yet. It has the exact same shape as the rag top (which is a good thing). All the other tops I've seen are simply butt ugly. How much will this one cost?

List Price: $3495 painted $2995 in gelcoat primer. I'll probably knock off a few hundred bucks for the first half dozen orders.

Jeff

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm hoping to start tracking this car and haven't found hoops or tops that look right for the SRT/10. I think you matched the ragtop look perfectly.

Here's my concern. I need to fit in it with a helmet and I'm 6'2'' and I'm lowering the seat 1'' already.

Idea? I'm not an Auto designer, but I'm in the design field. What if you covered the top in the black canvas to leave it with that rag top look. That way people would not have to worry about painting it to match their Viper? One Hardtop ready out of the box, right for any SRT/10 regardless of color. I'm thinking if you even put the ridges in, you could mold it to allow more head room inside. I know you don’t want to remake to mold but it’s a concept.

Please keep me posted though, I’m interested in one.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
...or even offer different color canvas... STILL a lot less expensive than spraying the top.

Black Mamba with Red top..... Commemorative with Blue top, etc

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Work-in-Progesss. New Hardtop from A.P. Engineering

I think the shape is perfect! I personally don't care for the double bubble look. How light is it; can it be installed by one person? Also, do you have a storage fixture in the works for it?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the shape is perfect! I personally don't care for the double bubble look. How light is it; can it be installed by one person? Also, do you have a storage fixture in the works for it?

I have no answers for these questions yet. I will update after the first prototype is built.

Jeff

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Dads 1958 Corvettes hardtop had a contraption that he attracted the the roof of the garage, and with pulleys, would latch to the roof so one person could pull it off or put it on. It just hung in the garage. Could be a concept:)

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what type of rollover proctection will this provide?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My Dads 1958 Corvettes hardtop had a contraption that he attracted the the roof of the garage, and with pulleys, would latch to the roof so one person could pull it off or put it on. It just hung in the garage. Could be a concept:)

Yup. Alot of the S2000 guys have this setup in their garage for the optional hardtop. I think you can buy it from some dude on the s2000 forums....uses pulley's and stuff. :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can I be very honest? I think it looks great in general, but particularly in this pic the back part looks too bulky, and it also messes with the overall look from the rear IMHO :eek:

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/1186P1010104-med.JPG

The way to resolve this: adjust the shape of the sides of the back glass somewhat and make it wider, flatten the area directly above the back glass a little more to let the low height of the top stand out better. If I were a good photoshopper I would make you a visualisation of what I mean :eek:
It already looks better than the hardtops available now in that it keeps more with the general design of the car unlike the vipermania top, so I would like to compliment you on your work :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GREAT looking top!. Really fits the car.

Would a set of Autoform or other roll hoops fit under the top?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They do. Go to www.vipermania.com .

Jeff

Yes, the other roof looks better with the lines of the car, except the scoop on top ruins it.

I'll say it again, the 'flat' roof concept looks ugly. The creases are nice, but any add-on roof should be faithful to the look of the Coupe, now that such a Coupe exists.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's perfect, don't listen to any of the negative comments, you built it to look like the convertible top and it's perfect, save the bubble tops for the coupes, the perfect thing about this top is it does NOT look grafted on in any way because it looks just like the convertible top. Please make sure that it is "Hardtop Legal" for track days, at least Viper Days and that it coumes with fittings to attach it to a ceiling hoist. An absolute must, but that seems easy as just pick up one of the ones on the market and make sure the lifting points are on the car.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipermann Quote:

"I'll say it again, the 'flat' roof concept looks ugly. The creases are nice, but any add-on roof should be faithful to the look of the Coupe, now that such a Coupe exists."

I respectfully disagree with that statement. HAVING to match what is out already is kind of redundant. I personally do not think it fits the style of the car. This is not a Rounded/Bubbley car like the G1&2.

The cool thing for you is that the top you want has been available for a while, (even without the scoop). Vipermania makes nice products so it should be a good quality top.

There has not been anything available that is low profile and simple. This is the type of top I would want, and my reseach that was conducted before build showed a demand for this style as well, so, here it is.

Thanks for your input, though. It is important to me.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Black and silver Lee,

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I will be doing what I can to make it race track ready.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960