WORLD CHALLENGE CHAMPIONSHIP REPEAT ????

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Englewood, Colorado – 3R Racing’s Tommy Archer needs a repeat of last years SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to win his second GT drivers title behind the wheel of his number 1/c3controls/3R Racing/Viper.

In 2004, Archer came into the final round of the series at Laguna Seca needing points leader Michael Galati to finish at least four positions behind the Duluth, Minnesota resident to take the title. This weekend Archer is eight points behind and will need Cadillac’s Andy Pilgrim to finish no better than five positions behind Archer, while the Viper driver finishes at least third. If the race finishes with the two tied in points, Archer would be the winner with having won a race this season.

Archer has managed to stay in contention for the championship despite an average qualifying effort of seventh and an average race finish of fifth; winning the first two races at Sebring and St. Petersburg. Since the first two wins the Vipers have been encumbered by a myriad of performance adjustments throughout the season to manage their competitiveness and has stopped the cars from being able to run at the front of GT field. In addition the defending series champion was penalized 10-points for on track incidents at Cleveland and Infineon.

Tommy Archer is not optimistic about his chances going into the final race. “With the way that the rules makers have our car configured we will have to rely on our competitors to falter to have a legitimate chance to do well at Laguna,” said Tommy Archer. “I really like the track and have done well their in the past, I just don’t think I have the car to run at the front. Andy has run a consistent championship so far and I think he is the only Cadillac driver not to have recorded a finish worse than tenth. Our weight and lack of straight line speed will definitely hinder our chance at being a factor at the front this weekend. Unfortunately we need to have Andy have some bad luck, I would much rather have the chance to race him instead of putting a spell on him. ”

Teammate and team owner Tim Wiens, driving the number 3/FirsTier Bank/3R Viper, sits in tenth place in the GT driver standings. Wiens has announced that he will hang up his helmet following the Laguna race. “I have been racing for five years. I started in local events and progressed into a top ten competitor in the World Challenge Series. Bob Raub and I have a business relationship and I will stay involved as apart of 3R Racing into the future. This weekend we will be focused on trying to get Tommy’s name back on to the series champions trophy. I like the Laguna Seca circuit. When the car is handling right it is like riding a roller-coaster. I will be looking to maintain my top ten points position and rebound from some of the bad luck I have been having.”

The season finale from Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca will be run on Sunday, October 16th and carried live on the Speed Channel starting at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Speed GT Top 10 Drivers Points:

1. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 225

2. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 217

3. Robin Liddell Porsche 212

4. Wolf Henzler Porsche 203

5. Stu Hayner Pontiac 158

6. Max Papis Cadillac 156

7. Leighton Reese Corvette 146

8. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 145

9. Tony Gaples Corvette 137

10. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 123

3R Racing Viper Competition Coupe Weight and Restrictions: