WOT Sound - Vortex Cones, CC Insert, Crossover Question

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot, Skip White, Paul Hawker, Herc, Kai SRT10 and anyone else that has experience with changing the exhaust....
I need your impressions please.

OK... Here is my setup...

03 SRT-10
1. Removed Secondary CAT replaced with striaght pipe.
2. Replaced OEM muffler with 16" Bullit muffler
3. Removed crossover.

The Good: I like the sound at idle, cruising(drone doesn't bother me too much), I like the volume/pitch at 1/4, 1/2 throttle.

The Bad: Wide Open Throttle, too loud and truckish pitch.

What I would like: Lower the volume/pitch at WOT.

In the stock setup, WOT is too tame, can't really hear it.... now it is too loud or at least sounds truckish, harsh, etc...

Is there a happy medium at WOT?

Questions:

1. Will the use of Vortex Cones with stock headers tone the volume/pitch down at WOT?

2. Will the use of CC Inserts with stock headers tone the volume/pitch down at WOT?

3. Will the reinstalling the crossover tone the volume/pitch down at WOT?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
1. Yes, a little bit. I tried them and now they're in storage.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, but the stock crossover cost me 10 to 15 rwhp when I was normally aspirated.

After much experimenting and many $$$$$, this engine seems to produce it's best power and sound with 3-inch pipes, high flow (or if you can stand the stink no cats), low restriction mufflers and headers. You choose the brand.

I chose B&B's full system and like it. Others like Bellanger, Archer, etc. They are all better than the stock set up. Non-crossover was too loud for me, but others like it. My current set up is pretty aggressive, makes good power, keeps the sills and footwell cool. The sound is deep and mellow at idle, strong at mid range and screams (good screams - not too loud) at WOT.

Good luck.

Dan

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cones worked great for me, but mine was reeeeally loud to start with. Now mine sounds about like yours. Putting the stock crossover back in should do the trick. ;)

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"I chose B&B's full system and like it. My current set up is pretty aggressive, makes good power, keeps the sills and footwell cool. The sound is deep and mellow at idle, strong at mid range and screams (good screams - not too loud) at WOT..."

Same here... :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine