Would you support a V8 Viper?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really? Not a Ford GT? ;)

Seriously - they make 600hp (at the wheels) with a 5.4L V8

with a simple pully change and tune, it jumps to 700+ and sounds better than any V10 I have ever heard (by far!). Its bottom end is so over-engineered, 40lbs of boost can be ran thru it without changing a thing! Couldnt Dodge do the same or better...?

I love the Viper for its beautiful, uniquely curvaceous body styling, brute force power- but its sound? :)rolaugh:)

My point is, if a change is going to come why not finally get it all, to include (finally) an incredible exhaust note! :dunno:

Jim

Wow Jim. I ignored the Camaro comment and I almost agree with your Shelby GT500, but ... the Challenger is cheaper and for less money (probably) you instal a supercharger kit onto a lowly R/T and easily get a lot more hp then either a Mustang or a Camaro. Now ... if you bought an SRT and added a FI kit ... perfection! The one I saw at Macedo Motorsports was a 'base kit and started at 550rwhp. Sounded awesome! First Challenger off the line became a Hennessey 700hp car. Saleen and various other tuners build Challenger package cars too.

My friends GT500 ('09) made 570crank hp after he changed some blower parts and 640crank hp after he changed pulley and tuned it.

I admit that I'm biased, but the Shelby tremec trans was developed for the Dodge Viper, not the Mustang. I am partial to my Dodges

Ted

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ted!

In my response to the poster and topic of this thread in general, I was assuming the price of the Viper would only increase come 2013, so I drew my comparison to the Ford GT, not the GT500 (I know something about the FGT's as I have a couple friends with them now). I admittedly don't know much about the new era GT500's...

My point was - why not a V8 Viper? If Ford could do it with such brilliance with the FGT, why couldnt Dodge do the same or better with a new Gen Viper? As long as it retains that raw, brute force power it will be a Viper!

Jim :usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Ted!

In my response to the poster and topic of this thread in general, I was assuming the price of the Viper would only increase come 2013, so I drew my comparison to the Ford GT, not the GT500 (I know something about the FGT's as I have a couple friends with them now). I admittedly don't know much about the new era GT500's...

My point was - why not a V8 Viper? If Ford could do it with such brilliance with the FGT, why couldnt Dodge do the same or better with a new Gen Viper? As long as it retains that raw, brute force power it will be a Viper!

I misunderstood you Jim, sorry.

The Ford GT was great, but although it was Dodge that started the FI with the Turbo Daytonas and Shebly Chargers - Ford went small, overhead cams, 3 and 4 valve and then the first comestic supercharged V8. Unfortuntely the FGT didn't last long. Dodge dominated the GT class so much in the late 90s that they got huge restrictor plates and extra weight to stop them from winning so often. That didn't happen to the FGT so ... as far as racing goes Dodge had the best, winningest idea. At VOI
X we watched many comp coupes, 1 supercharged Mustang, 1 supercharged Caddy and no FGTs.

For a street car I do like the FGTS second to my Vipers, but they don't seem too great on the track.

Ted

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ford GT exterior was great..Not neccesarily the power plant..

As well the ford GHT dynoed 550 rwhp (yes it was very underated much like the 2003 cobra) and only managed what at the 1/4 mile...122-125 mph and maybe mid 11's..
Actually in a heads up test the Gen3 viper edged it out in the 1/4 mile..

Great exterior but the power delivery was really never that special..

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you think the Vette guys would feel if they said they were making an entry level V6 Corvette? LAME, same reason a V8 Viper would be LAME! This is like burning the Quran!!!! Stuff will blow up and blood will flow along the curbs!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you think the Vette guys would feel if they said they were making an entry level V6 Corvette? QUOTE]

They could use the 300bhp V6 from the Camaro. Comes with stripes, wheels and tires, just like the SS. :lmao:

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ford GT exterior was great..Not neccesarily the power plant..

Great exterior but the power delivery was really never that special..

The FGT power plant is a masterpiece IMO - not to mention virtually indistructable!

Power delivery "not that special" - I just drove a friends last weekend that had just got a pulley change and tune. OMG - I don't know how you define special but I'm still in awe! and like you said - looks to kill! and it just sounds beautifully evil! ;)

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister this a 100% accurate statement. The name was changed to SRT in '03. However, the public continued to call it a Viper and they reverted to placing the Viper label on it. The intention was to abandon the "Viper" moniker, but it didn't take. Look at the side sill of your '03, and you see "SRT-10", not "Viper", on it.

I seem to remember the third generation Viper being introduced at the 2001 North American International Auto show in Detroit. When it was introduced it rolled out under a large sign with with the emblem we now refer to as "Fangs". SRT was added to the name because the new Street and Racing Technology team (formally PVO) developed the car. It was born at the 2001 NAIAS as Viper and it "died" in 2010 as Viper. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any 2003+ models that came from the factory without Viper badging on the bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you Andrew. I knew I heard this back when the SRT10 was coming out. I thought it was pretty stupid for Dodge to let somebody buy the rights to the brand Viper.

Needless to say they are all still Vipers to us and everybody will continue to call them Vipers.

I think you are thinking of the European "Viper". In Europe the Viper is sold as the "SRT-10" because someone did buy the Viper trademark on the other side of the pond.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it in V-10. There are plenty of great cars that have V-8s. So, if they do a V-8 I'll move on too. To a Mustang or a Vette. Unless they make it an 800hp N/A V-8 :). I'll probably still keep my Gen I tho.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking last night after reading this thread. I think we are all forgetting to stop and think here.

In the past, we had been asked what we wanted and did not want in the Gen 5. We all responded with thoughts much along the lines of this thread. Many comments also mentioned it must be a V10.

Stop and think about this. Dodge gets it. Ralph gets it. SRT gets it. Fiat/Sergio gets it. The media does not. They are not in the same loop we here are in.

I dont think they would do a V8. Dodge understands too well that is not what the Viper nation wants. I dont think Dodge is that disconnected with Viper that they could do that and still sleep at night.

I am thinking it again a rumor. By what I understand, it has only been shown at the dealer meeting. No media present. And even at that, the hood was shut. To this point, it is all rumor. As far as the media was concerned, Viper has already been discontinued until this info popped up. To go further, why would Dodge have gone through all that trouble of asking us what we wanted only to turn their backs?

I think it is V10. As for the comments Sergio said regarding the motor being different that we are use to, my guess is he was just referring to the fact that the motor till now has been very simple. My guess is the new Multi air system like what is being used on the Pentastar motor will be on there. Things like that that we would view as "different" compared to the basic pushrod Viper of the past.

So I guess we will all see in two weeks! :eater:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a V8 in a Viper and it will become a flop just like the Jaguar XJ220 that was supposed to get a prepped V12 but ended up receiving a lousy 6 ******. Why is it such an impossible task to offer a detuned V10 as a base option? Viper came out a V10 and thus it should STAY that way!

I can be very brief in my answer to this one:

NO. Not only no but HELL NO!!

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper IS the V10.....
thats what makes it unique and sets it apart from the crowd..

Loose the V10 and your just another sports car.....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the 8L plus and I still believe that there is no substitute for cubic inches. I wouldn't buy a V8 Mustang of V8 vette as many said they would if the Viper got a V8 - Dodge wouldn't drop the world's fastest production car title just to build a "wanna be" sports car. Dodge always builds the quickest or fastest (depending on what they want to present). When the Countach was the fastest car in the world, it was a Dodge Lamboghini Countach.

Maserati has a 550bhp V10 and it now comes in Audi R8s. Toyota builds a V10 (550bhp) for their new lpf and even Ford built a V10 truck engine. Viper has the 'best V10" but not the only one.

That said, if Dodge "downgraded" to ONLY a V8 ... it would obviously be the world's fastest V8, that's what the Viper is - the World's Fastest Road Car". I haven't hear of any Mustangs setting any records anywhere for anything. ... and I don't remember any FGTs setting any records either.

The Viper is the car that doesn't get recognized as the best - but it does get recognized as winning every competition and the record settingest car built in modern times.

Ted

Auston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the "2012 Viper" threads, I decided to make this a new thread. "IF" there is a V8 Viper in our future, would you buy one (assuming price and stats were decent), would you feel they tarnish the image/history of the V10 Vipers? Discuss.

Personally, if it has the name Viper on it, it BETTER be a V10. I PROUDLY tell people ALL Vipers to roll out of Detroit have been V10, 6 speed manuals. I don't want a little brother with a V8, paddle shifters, cupholders and foot warmers. Please Dodge, stay true to your roots, keep the Viper a REAL car. I know the government will mandate a lot of new "safety" features and that can't be avoided, but there's no need for Dodge to further neuter our cars.

Agreed, no downgrading. How about a poll?

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMO, it would water down the brand. One thing that makes the Viper special is the low production numbers. If you start cranking them out left and right (lower priced V8) part of the Viper allure would be lost.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have stated in many other threads, the naturally aspirated 8.0-8.4L V10 is what makes the Viper special. If a base V8 comes out, the price will *not be lower* than the current '10 but the V10 will be priced like the ACR X or even higher. Remember that Fiat owns Ferrari and would not think twice about giving the V10 an exotic price to ($150k+) go with the V10.

Keep the Viper a V10 and to cut costs, put the V10 in the Challenger, Charger, Ram truck, etc. if you need to. There is no need to reinvent the wheel here. In an economy where GM axed the whole Pontiac brand and Ford axed Mercury to save costs and adjust to lower demand, leaner is better. Expanding the lineup to include a Firepower with a V8 would not make economic sense especially since the V8 market is more than saturated by other brands.

BTW, I can't believe how many Viper owners actually care that a V8 sounds better and would consider the exhaust note a reason to downgrade.:boozer::brainless:There, I said it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This web site has a forum for every minuscule thing you can do to your car. So in concert with that they need a dedicated forum to consolidate what must now be 100+ threads on everything everyone doesn't know about the future.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retro GTS please. No V8 and no cylinder deactivation. No paddle shift, no cool side sills, no auto transmission and no ricey wing. I'd take 9 cylinders over 8.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just say NO to the V8. I never would have bought a viper had it not been for the V10.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude