Would you support a V8 Viper?

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree, it is VERY different. Ferrari is a brand, and they offer different MODELS, with a different purpose. The Viper is a MODEL, any sub-models added will result in dilution of the model.

IMHO, if they bring out a V8 car, it CANNOT be called the VIPER. If they need to do something like the "Firepower" again, that makes sense...

Well played Mauer....good point.

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not that there aren't a mess of other thing that set the viper apart from all the "others" but the V-10 is definently one of them. One of the first comments I get when someone aproaches me is, that's got the V-10 right can I see it. I don't know but it just woould not be a Viper to me. I could just hear someone aproaching a "new" V-8 Viper "Oh that has the V-10 right"
"Well the old ones did" :dunno:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A different form of the question:

Would you support a V10 Challenger or Charger?

If so, you know that the V10 means more to the Viper than anything.

That being said, I think an "entry level" car loosely based on the Viper with a different name would make perfect sense. I probably wouldn't buy one but I'm sure a lot of others would.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the V8 wouldn't bother me at all; I feel the 8+ liters had more to do with the Viper power. We need to get real with the approaching tighter regulations; believe or not you little lambs there is talk of a twin turbocharged V6 PENTASTAR! A V6 in a Viper I definitely don't want.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister this a 100% accurate statement. The name was changed to SRT in '03. However, the public continued to call it a Viper and they reverted to placing the Viper label on it. The intention was to abandon the "Viper" moniker, but it didn't take. Look at the side sill of your '03, and you see "SRT-10", not "Viper", on it.

Thank you Andrew. I knew I heard this back when the SRT10 was coming out. I thought it was pretty stupid for Dodge to let somebody buy the rights to the brand Viper.

Needless to say they are all still Vipers to us and everybody will continue to call them Vipers.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Intersting fact is that Father Viper actually wanted to use a V-8 in the Viper; however, Francois Castaing refused. They actually had a working V-8 that he wanted to use.

Rev

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um... the SRT-10's say Viper on the rear bumper... Hard to see but look at the right side.

You must be registered for see images

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a Mopar event (car show) a few weeks back in the Monterey Bay area and. I was sitting away from my 04 Viper with the hood up ( In all it's glory) and a middle aged couple came up to the car and and as she stood in front of it looking into the engine bay she asked her husband what is it? He told her a Viper and she said it looks so GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. (That was her quote) I smiled to myself and my wife as they somewhat drooled over the car. You got to love 10 cylinders, red valve covers, etc. I have her same thoughts at times.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a Mopar event (car show) a few weeks back in the Monterey Bay area and. I was sitting away from my 04 Viper with the hood up ( In all it's glory) and a middle aged couple came up to the car and and as she stood in front of it looking into the engine bay she asked her husband what is it? He told her a Viper and she said it looks so GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. (That was her quote) I smiled to myself and my wife as they somewhat drooled over the car. You got to love 10 cylinders, red valve covers, etc. I have her same thoughts at times.

Watch the "middle aged" stuff.....:)

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference between a lion and a house cat is CUBIC INCHES. The house cat might be lighter and quicker but I would rather be a lion.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first read the title and saw it was by Chad I thought this was a yellow bashing thread!:rolaugh:

V8 viper. No. Not a good idea. The Viper is a halo car. A best of best product for a brand to show what it is capable of. To show what it's heart looks like.

Dodge already offers something for V8s in cars. The lx (now ly) platform.

What would be accomplished by making a v8 viper?

I say it would be a watering of a great name. :( Even if installed in a red car!;)

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me, the word "viper" willl always be the Gen.1-Gen.2 Cars.. Ive owned a Gen.3 and it IS a fabulous car(better than a Gen2 in many,many ways). But the definition of "Viper" (to me, anyway) will always be the clamshell hood, and the curves. They just got everything "right" with that car, and I don't see it being duplicated. Kind of like a 63' split window vette.. They hit the nail squarely on the head, with that car.

So, to answer the question. YES, I would..... Because I think they need to move on from the past, and reinvent the Viper. And not "hold on to" the V10 just because its what they have done, in the past. A big part of the viper comeback, is saving weight. Look at Ferrari... it used to be V12's were king. And there are many purists who still prefer those cars. Just like there will be many who always prefer the Gen1-2 cars. But they went V8 years ago with the 355,360,430 cars. And I'd say its worked out pretty good.

nuff said your rite in everry way

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty sure the 2003 and ups were all still vipers

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA-FwsIUgxc[/media]

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper became a supercar on the power of it's V10 and should stay that way. Any dilution of that fact is a dilution of the model. By that same token, I would not want to see a V12 Viper either.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It make no sense at all to have a V-8 in a Viper. What can Dodge possibly accomplish by doing this??? If its a Viper body with a V-8, how much cheaper could it be $10,000+-, and the cars retailing at 90,000+-, makes no sense why bother, anyone with an $80,000 budget would just spend $90,000 and get the V-10. I think its just internet & VCA board talk:dunno:

the_postman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they offer a V8 the production numbers will go way up since it is a more affordable model. The viper then becomes the dodge version of the corvette, which is something I hoped to never see. The last thing I want to do is spend $90k+ on a car (V10) and it no longer be a limited production car due to all the V8's produced. I feel the same way about the ZR-1 - Beautiful car and great performance but I can't justify the price when I see a vette every 5 minutes on a sunny day. Sorry, I got to say if they make a V8 I'll have no desire to own any new Viper, V10 or otherwise.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference between a lion and a house cat is CUBIC INCHES. The house cat might be lighter and quicker but I would rather be a lion.
A Viper is and always should be a V10. Call it something else, maybe corvette, but DON'T call it a Viper cause it ain't......

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to agree with almost everyone else...Don't drop a V8 in the viper. I bought my Viper because it was not a vehicle you see everyday. If they drop a V8 in there & drop the price might as well be a vette.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Intersting fact is that Father Viper actually wanted to use a V-8 in the Viper; however, Francois Castaing refused. They actually had a working V-8 that he wanted to use.

Rev

God bless Father Viper...thankfully they went with the V-10.

Put a V-8 in it..it's not a Viper anymore.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nobody feeling the 75K 550 HP V8 and 100K 650 HP v10?????

I dont want it to happen but if it has too I think this would be aceptable???

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happened to all the vette guys that should be saying that since it works for vettes it's good for Vipers?

I agree that a name change would be needed. Maybe build the car from sheet metal and use steel suspension pieces? Go back to skinny tires (like a base vette) and small brakes, heavy cast wheels so that the 'base' clone could pay for a 700rwhp V10 engine for keeping the fastest road car in the world.

If the base was everything cheap and not an expensive supercar with a V8, then maybe Dodge could sell a hundred thousand or so and pay those HUGE safety and emissions cost to the Gov.??? Not my favorite idea, but when I see 550bhp Datsuns and Toyotas going for $100-400K THAT scares me. 2012 Viper going to cost $200K to stay competitive? There is a reason that production stopped.

Ted

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's unclear what the motivation is behind this question is. Some of the possibilities are:

1. Increasing the sales volume of the Viper line
2. Emissions
3. Fuel Economy
4. Reducing production cost
5. Reducing the footprint (physical size) of the engine
6. Lighter weight
7. All of the above

If it involves 2,3,5 and/or 6, my preference would be a smaller, displacement, higher reving, direct injected V10 with a billet crankshaft. The billet crank would allow for an even firing V10 that would sound exotic. Dodge experimented with this during Gen IV development but with the huge displacement of our current engine, the torque shake of the even firing engine was an issue (refer to Viper magazine GenIV engine development). If the V10
was smaller displacement the torque shake could be more easily managed and direct injection could help make up for any lost power. The footprint of the engine could also be reduced allowing for a smaller/lighter more nimbal Viper.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wanted a V-8 I would buy a Camaro. I say give me my V-10 or give me death! :headbang:

Really? Not a Ford GT? ;)

Seriously - they make 600hp (at the wheels) with a 5.4L V8

with a simple pully change and tune, it jumps to 700+ and sounds better than any V10 I have ever heard (by far!). Its bottom end is so over-engineered, 40lbs of boost can be ran thru it without changing a thing! Couldnt Dodge do the same or better...?

I love the Viper for its beautiful, uniquely curvaceous body styling, brute force power- but its sound? :)rolaugh:)

My point is, if a change is going to come why not finally get it all, to include (finally) an incredible exhaust note! :dunno:

Jim

Last edited: