Would you?

NTIDOTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in a dilemna. Should I sell my 99 RT/10 Supercharged Viper for a Porsche 911 Turbo? I've listed the car in the classified. Any input would be greatly appreciated? Especially from someone that has had both.

Thanks in advance:)

OP
OP
N

NTIDOTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Citysnake, my wife and i recently had a baby and that's the reason I want to switch to a car that is a four seater. But I wish I could keep the Viper and get the Porsche.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new baby!! Could you keep the Viper and get a less expensive smaller car for the baby seat (and playpen, stroller, diaper bags, etc...!!), maybe a hatchback?
Good luck with all~ juli

OP
OP
N

NTIDOTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Juli, I already have a daily drive but just wanted a sport car where I could take both Mom and baby out in at the same time

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like your mind is already made up. it just sounds like you want people to tell you you are doing the right thing.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha! Just hate to see someone have to give up a Viper....!! BUT, other things DO come first sometimes! Good luck to ya! ~juli~

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long do you think a baby is going to fit in the back seat of a Porsche? A few years tops, and then you'll be facing the same problem again. Keep the Viper or you'll be kicking yourself later.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough situation....here's my rationale on this:

1) Viper = 2 seater....great for cruising with that special someone! (remember to keep taking your wife out on dates even though you now have a baby or the romance disappears and no matter what car you have, it won't matter if the romance is gone)

1a) When your son is old enough to want to go for a ride...the Viper is the "Monster" he can brag to his friends actually has a fire breathing dragon powering it....makes for a great story!!

2) Porsche = not as rare as the Viper, yes it does have 4 seats, but are you taking your son and two of his friends out? That's what SUV's are for....

2a) Porsche = can easily be procurred at a later time as a friend to share garage space with your Viper and then you'll have the best of both worlds

3) Viper vs. Porsche in performance, handling, driving fun.... well the Viper demands you pay attention at all times, it is the edge of the envelope in so many ways and that says something about your personality, you as a driver and of course sets you apart from some Porsche owners who simply by being able to buy a Porsche now feel that they are exceptional drivers because the car makes them look that way (with it's active handling/stability systems).

4) Viper vs. Porsche in WOW factor. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking to impress anyone, I'm a car guy and dream of owning about 150 cars (thankfully I got my Viper first and a SL500 so far....just 153 more cars to come) which I know I'll enjoy driving as long as I draw breath. You're married with children, so early 20's girls WOW factor likely isn't much of a concern for you. So it's your family, friends, your co-workers who are affected by the wow factor....and you know them best! At my workplace, I have people approach me all the time who heard from someone, who heard from someone, who heard from another person that I own a Viper and they are so excited to talk cars with me. I know two co-workers with Porsches and neither of them are known as "Car Guys".

4) Viper vs. Porsche as an investment = They make tons of Porsches, I can buy a mid to late 70's Carrera in good running condition any day of the week off ebay for $15000.00, I don't know if Viper prices will ever fall that low compared to their purchase price, so I think because of the Viper's rarity, you'll do better on the Viper. This doesn't even account for the crazy money you can make taking the Viper somewhere else in the world where it might be the only one in that country or continent and driving it until the richest person in that area just HAS to have it.

5) Viper vs. Porsche clubs.....well I don't know the answer to this one, but maybe someone else does who's participated in both events. I can tell you that both my Porsche owner friends/co-workers who drove my Viper had the smile on their face you get when you've either just got laid for the 1st time or you've stolen a bag of diamonds. I asked about their club events and those smiles disappeared instantly.....not a good sign!

Regards,
Aaron

D

DAMN YANKEE

You already know the answer.......

1. When you are driving around all of the family you need a real family car, neither is correct for that AND loosing your Viper is NOT the right answer.

2. When you are driving your family USE THE FAMILY CAR.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even with a long 4 door you'll soon have to endure all the kicking on the back of your seat .. leave alone the 2-doors. We know you've already made up your mind and needed an excuse:) Go for it man! That's a beautiful car... or you can get a modded evo, it's a compromise for everything (except the look) basic bolt-on get you 300whp, a few more $K could get you realiable 400/500whp

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep your Viper. Your very fine example of a Viper (VR1s, supercharged, etc) makes the 911 look and feel like a honda civic. And how often are you really going to be stuffing your child in that cramped backseat? Congrats on the little one btw!

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need a 4 seater but goin with the turbo? Interesting choice. Either way, the Turbo is a FUN car to drive. Very civil though. Takes off like a rocket, sounds like a jet, but not very loud. Great traction, easy to drive. It comes down to personal preference I guess. If you need to sell it because you need the 4 seater, and want to still have the sports car, the Porsche is a good way to go.

Don't expect to turn as many heads though :)

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had our boy in October 2006. I didn't really face the same problem, because my Viper is not my daily driver. Try to find a cheap way to get the little one through the babyseat years. I got an 06 STi, and love the car for how easy it is to drive... FAST! But, can't wait to open the hood on the Viper and show him how I installed the supercharger.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll never get a rear facing car seat in the back of that Porsche, which rules it out as a family car for at least the first several months. After that, proper installation of a front facing car seat is killer on the leather (if you've ever watched one being put in *properly*, it's brutal). Add spit up, throw up, soggy teething toast sticks, etc, and you're going to hate yourself for using a car like that as a family car, trust me.

If you're going to buy the Porsche, that's cool, but don't kid yourself about the family car thing.