Wraping up new hood design. Need feedback first.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this new hood that I've been working on was a near exact copy of the 08 hood I would not be asking for design opinions as I already know some like it and some don't. I still have some changes to make, and your input has always helped my designs in the past (which, I guess, makes them your designs as well).

This hood you see here ended up being so much different from the 08 I need to know if I've veered so much off track that it is not desireable. The major design difference here lies in the width of the center scoop bulge. The 08 hood has been narrowed quite a bit to allow for larger side vents. The 08 hood also has a very tall, much different air intake.

This hood has retained the dimension of the 03-06 bulge allowing cars with stripes to maintain the stripe width on facia and roof. Stripe width will then fall in the same basic location on the bulge and not ride in an odd location (it appears that the stripe dimensions on the 08 car are changed to fall on the new hood properly).

Also, the scoop here is the same as 03-06 (with the exception of longer forks). I think it looks like a bigger opening in these pics because its black.

Overall, I think it looks pretty good. My concern lies in the last picture which really shows off the width of the center section and how it seems to force the hood vents to be smaller. I can't decide if this is ok, or if I am being overly critical.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
hood01.jpg

hood03.jpg

P1010170.JPG

P10101722.JPG

hood02.jpg

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert at GenIII hoods but IMO it doesn't look too different from the '08. If that's what you're after then you've pretty much achieved your goal. However, again IMO if I was to get an aftermarket hood to replace my stock GenIII hood I would like it a little more radical than the stock look.

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

The first thing that popped in my mind, and primarily based on the first picture u posted, was "SCALES". I like that perception, but I'm sure some will not. The bulge and openning seem to be in good proportion and call attention to them. The side vents are a good size and actually look menacing. The only issue I have is the height of the side vent surrounding lip which, in pictures appear to be a bit high. Overall the hood looks VERY VERY GOOD on the car and appears to be a excellent replacement for the factory item. Just my opinion!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how you took into consideration that the center scoop should be wider to accommodate the current Vipers stripe setup. Im definitely a fan of this hood. As usual, Jeff, great work.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff I think you did a good job modifying the new hood. In all the pics i have seen of the 08 hood, i wasnt sold on it. I think it has to do with the new scoop and center section and how they narrowed it. I think you made the right adjustments to it.

This maybe a stupid question but will the scoop line up with the stock airbox underneath?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff I think you did a good job modifying the new hood. In all the pics i have seen of the 08 hood, i wasnt sold on it. I think it has to do with the new scoop and center section and how they narrowed it. I think you made the right adjustments to it.

This maybe a stupid question but will the scoop line up with the stock airbox underneath?

Yes. It is a quick easy swap and will match up exacly like the regular hood.

Jeff

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's definatly nice...but I think you've tamed it too much by blending it with the gen III hood. I don't think I'd swap my current hood for this one.

I circled the areas I think don't look quite right.

I like the 08 hood.

hood021.jpg

o8hood1.JPG

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure whether the hood on the show car above is stock. Here is a recent pick of the 08 stock hood. Doesnt look as high in the middle as the one above. Jeff you have seen the 08 in person, is the one aboe the stock hood?
Vipers_5.jpg

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the case, I am definitely not a fan. Too many angles. I like the way your smoothed yours Jeff.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will it be available in Clear coated Carbon Fiber

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. We can do carbon fiber at the surface for looks only (add about $700) or all Carbon for weight savings (about double the price of a standard hood).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I like them both. I think your design is smoother and flows better from the front of the car from a "looks" stand point.

I do have a question. It appears that the vents on your hood are a bit farther forward. Does this make them more functional or less functional in terms of removing heat from the engine compartment?

I have an Autoform "comp coupe" style hood on my SRT-10. It continues to get positive comments where ever I take the car and it lowers my coolant temps by about 15 degrees over the stock hood.

If your new hood design lowers operating temps by increasing air flow and looks good (as it does), you should sell a few of these.

Dan

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
OK - looks like we need Austin for some photoshop help to "paint" the hood red.

I think it looks real nice - can't wait till I receive mine!

Does it offer more "head room" for Roe's new blower?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit off topic but how is your project coming along Rocket62? Are you taking progress pictures? If so, I would love to see them as I am sure everyone else would be as well.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I have enough info here to finish the job. Slight changes are being made right now. Hopefully these will be shipping by the end of the month.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - looks like we need Austin for some photoshop help to "paint" the hood red.

I think it looks real nice - can't wait till I receive mine!

Does it offer more "head room" for Roe's new blower?

Not really much higher than stock.

Jeff

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone is being way too particular. Jeff did an amazing job!! These hoods need to actually WORK on the Gen 3 cars...not just look loike the 08'. He blended it beautifully and I would definately sport this hood. I would love to see OTHERS try to re-create this with any better resluts. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JEFF

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone is being way too particular. Jeff did an amazing job!! These hoods need to actually WORK on the Gen 3 cars...not just look loike the 08'. He blended it beautifully and I would definately sport this hood. I would love to see OTHERS try to re-create this with any better resluts. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JEFF

Um Jeff asked for feedback/imput etc....you do know what that means right???No one is getting at him or claiming that they can do better...Dont know why you had to bring that sorta vibe into the thread....

I think it looks stunning along with the other Street serpent parts he has made...He has a real eye for making parts that really compliment the Vipers lines.....Cant believe Chrysler hasnt hired him yet:smirk:

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
youre right.. i guess i came off harsh just a lil. I tend to be too opinionated at times and apologize to all. Simply put, GREAT work Jeff... Keep it up. Hey, if his Goods went mainstream, like to chrysler, we would be able to turn to him to make our cars UNIQUE!!! ;)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify, I take no offense at constructive feedback. The good is nice, it lets me know when I'm on the right path. When a majority of people do not like something I've done, it is VERY helpful when they say so. The designs I do have improved in the past because of this. Sometimes I get so focused on a certain thing, I completely miss what is obvious.

In the end, the reason most of my designs seem to work well is because they are not mine. Most come right from DC. The new hood here has an obvious inspiration. The hardtop design for the SRT was based on the great design of the soft top shape. The Street Serpent has key elements taken from the Comp Coupe and showcars. Etc, Etc.

It's like a mix of the best things I like of what has been done before. The hard part of my job is making them work together to make sense, avoid gaudy and overdone yet stay as exciting as possible.

Once again, thank you all for your feedback.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte