Wrecked vs Clear title

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Could someone please explain how this works. I am looking for an 01/02 ACR. I was looking at a 01 yellow w/no stripes ACR on the internet today. I ran the vin on the Viper registry and it came up that it had been wrecked. When I talked to the guy, he said it had a clear title, but had been damaged on the right rear then repaired in 03 when he bought it. Carfax shows a clear title. So does the registry put every accident as wrecked?, or is there something more here?. Sorry if this is long winded, but I have never really understood the whole salvage/wrecked/write off thing. Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the car was ever totaled through a insurance deal,it will be a salvage title,if it was wrecked and not totaled with insurance,it will be clear but turned in to car fax that it had body repair,a total does not mean these days that it was destroyed,it dont take much these days,to total a car through insurance,butif the title states total,u just need a vet body man to check the car out,he will know with in minutes what kind of structure and body damage its been through.the value is hit big time though if it says total no matter what shape its in

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks for the wiki link. I should have thought of looking there first. I'll have to see if I can get a knowlegable person to look at the car for me. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey shooter t1. I think I know the car you are referring to. 01 yellow acr in Virginia. I contacted the owner and talk to others who have talked with him. PM me for information but in a nutshell. He has been trying to sell this car for at least 2 years now. Last I checked price was 44k i think. Rear had damage and he replace all the suspension parts with new acr parts. I was told this car is worth no more then 25k tops. I would avoid this car. PM me with any specific questions you have about this car and Ill try to answer them. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks SquadX. That is the car I was looking at. I appreciate the reply. I will stay clear of that one. Too bad though, cause it had all that I was looking for.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey shooter t1. I think I know the car you are referring to. 01 yellow acr in Virginia. I contacted the owner and talk to others who have talked with him. PM me for information but in a nutshell. He has been trying to sell this car for at least 2 years now. Last I checked price was 44k i think. Rear had damage and he replace all the suspension parts with new acr parts. I was told this car is worth no more then 25k tops. I would avoid this car. PM me with any specific questions you have about this car and Ill try to answer them. Hope this helps.

Can you describe what repairs were made (or not) that turned his 44K wish into a 25K max? Obviously buyer and seller are far apart here.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Even with a salvage title if the car was done right it is worth more than 25k. I will say this again as I just seen a local member here get stuck again. If you are buying used you have know way of EVER knowing if the car has been in an accident or not. Car fax will not show them all. If you are buying from some who tells you it has been damaged and where it was done I would trust that more then these guys saying the car has never been damaged but really was. Salvage takes about 20% off the value not 50%. 44k is to high on a damaged car.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is either right or it is not. Cut out and throw away the bent parts. Weld in straight pieces add replacements for other damaged parts. If done correctly SO WHAT? You watch any Nascar or other forms of racing? Cars that hit the nose first that are tube frame. Cut off front and replace. Same with rear. Bent side tubes ,drivers area tubes then straighten. Not a big deal. Far more difficult with a tub car to be repaired . It is either brought back to spec or not. Would you turn down a buggati, 427 cobra or ferrari 250 gto if it had been bent but restored? Too much negativity over a restored Viper. When Chrysler folds later this year you will have missed out on a once in a lifetime car buy. GTS Bruce

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is either right or it is not. Cut out and throw away the bent parts. Weld in straight pieces add replacements for other damaged parts. If done correctly SO WHAT? You watch any Nascar or other forms of racing? Cars that hit the nose first that are tube frame. Cut off front and replace. Same with rear. Bent side tubes ,drivers area tubes then straighten. Not a big deal. Far more difficult with a tub car to be repaired . It is either brought back to spec or not. Would you turn down a buggati, 427 cobra or ferrari 250 gto if it had been bent but restored? Too much negativity over a restored Viper. When Chrysler folds later this year you will have missed out on a once in a lifetime car buy. GTS Bruce

true,but a title that says(salvage)puts a dent in anyones mind mentally on a dollar figure,but i agree with the comment

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have followed the market for about a year now. This yellow car has been aggressively on the market and the fact it is still there is indication to walk. I have spoken with the guy trying to sell it and it is probably not the best car for you. If you are not in a hurry to buy, I suggest watching the market for a bit. You quickly get to see which cars are moving and which ones are not. There are good cars out there sititing without problems related to title and if you ever are in the need to sell, it will be of benefit to have a car that is "sell ready"

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good responses. Although I'm sure I could get the car for a good price, I don't want to deal with the whole "been in a wreck" thing if I ever want to sell. I have a couple more I'm looking at, including a car that belongs to a member here.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask for before AND after pictures, as well as during the repairs process. Get the frame measured and checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
Mine was wrecked and I have propably 100 pictures of the damage under, above, left and right of the car, with and without the parts removed. This way IF I would ever sell it, it is possible to see what (and how) was done. Mine has a clear title, but 33K worth damage and the hood ate 15K of it. It really does not need alot to get to 30K territory and few thousands more, it will be totalled. I was offered also a "option" to total it for 42K. I refused and wanted to keep the car. Looking back now 2 years later, it was the right decision for me, for someone else, most likely not.
Salvage car has salvage title, if done properly its OK, but it will always scare the hell out of 90% of the prospective buyers.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with a salvage title if the car was done right it is worth more than 25k. I will say this again as I just seen a local member here get stuck again. If you are buying used you have know way of EVER knowing if the car has been in an accident or not. Car fax will not show them all. If you are buying from some who tells you it has been damaged and where it was done I would trust that more then these guys saying the car has never been damaged but really was. Salvage takes about 20% off the value not 50%. 44k is to high on a damaged car.

Sorry, but I completley dissagree with your comments that the car would be worth more than 25k If you look at how the market is currently sliding, due to the resession and look at the prices of good cars out there! Personally I would not even consider a Viper with any kind of Salvage or Wreck title against it. But thats just me ;)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:shhh2:never wrecked cars can also have salvaged titles if, for example, they were stolen, then were paid off (totaled-resulting in salvage title) by the insurance company, then recovered (often undamaged).

:drive: if you plan on driving (putting miles on) your car, they can be really good deals.:cool:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you describe what repairs were made (or not) that turned his 44K wish into a 25K max? Obviously buyer and seller are far apart here.

Sorry my reply is late but the rear end shocks were replaced along with control arms and some body work. I dont remember everything but the guy wouldn't show any before pics. More damage was done this the owner described.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 25k price was told to me by a VCA sponsor who sells vipers and other sports cars and that he viewed the car and wouldn't buy it to resale which is his main form of revenue.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the bargain basement prices for clean Vipers now, there really is no reason to buy one with stories unless it's just too good a deal to pass up.
If and when YOU want to sell it...half the potential buyers will just run away when they hear a salvage title.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just reading an article on a restored Porsche RSK (#718-16) that Jean Behra was killed driving at Avus in 1960. You can imagine the damage to an aluminum car that flew off track at 150MPH. Not only was the car restored to spectacular condition and vintage raced, but it's worth well over a million dolars! So, as long as everyone is up front about the "history" of the car,the the repairs were done to a top notch level, and the price is in line with the market for all that, then I say everyone can be confident and happy with the transaction and "new " car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang