Yea or nay vote for the new viper coupe

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow Viper owners....how about a vote in favor or not on the new coupe with no improvement of horsepower. At the present time I am less than pleased that there is not 600 horses under that hood.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see your point but, I think the torque might just pull us thru. The latest shots are starting to look better. Check the zo6 & viper side by side shots. :2tu:

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Bob, you are brave.. a few people are getting upset about this topic; but since you brought it up...

I am NOT in favor of it.

I guess I didnt think I would read an article in MT that says this about the corvette: "But this is actually GM's Dodge Viper slayer"

I didnt buy my first Viper because of the loud ride, the uncomfortable interior, the heat from the fire wall, or even the climate control head that was actually designed for a Ford ranger. I bought my Viper because it is the Top-Dog; exotic looks and rocket acceleration.

SVT said that they built a business case to make the coupe based on customer demand, also mentioning that VCA members buy 70% of the Vipers sold (I dont know a VCA member that wants a coupe that will get wasted by a stock Z06).

I was shocked to read SVT saying that they are fine with the new coupe's HP knowing what the new Z06 is going to do (from Road&Track or Car&Driver, dont remember).

Maybe its just that I am dying for a new exotic and I dont know what to buy now (I had been dreaminng about what the new coupe would do).

Why wouldnt SRT do what it had to do to maintain the Viper's excellent street credit?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will still give us the carbon fiber, 650HP monster they did a while back.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I have caught myself smiling at pictures of the new coupe. Although, I did want it to be just like the competition coupe. The power side, is also the downside. I'm sure the hp increase will come in a year or two. If I had to chose between a CC model with 500/500/500 specs, and the model that IS coming out with but with 600hp, I would probably chose the CC. How many of you would do the same?

OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my point is the basis for the viper was styling and performance. Pardon the expression, but what the h*ll was the tech. sessions concerning the future of the viper at VIO8 all about? We get assurances from the SRT team that viper will continue to raise the bar on performance and it looks like the SRT boys are content to let Bob Lutz and the Z06 match or exceed the performance envelope of the current car. The engine on the 2003 Sema SRT carbon fiber viper with a patented intake system and 625 H.P was a great tease but what happened? Frankly, I am disappointed and disheartened.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let's put this in a real perspective. There will be another year of 36,000 Vettes, so exclusivity is not in their vocabulary. The plant will probably build 2400 total Snakes when the Coupe comes out, with a mix of 2/3rds or more Coupe and the balance in convertibles. So the cost of doing a new body style for maybe 1800 cars is off scale. To do a motor at the same time, though we would all like it, defies logic in understanding the cost of building a marque car that makes no money. Do not believe that the SRT team is sleeping ( most of the guys/gals I know are working consistent 18hr days ),but one has to have some common sense in what is practical as well as plausible. Will there be a hp increase in the future--- absolutely. Will we all be pleased and excited about this when it happens in the not too distant future - for sure. An extremely small group of individuals begged for a Coupe version of the Viper, and a Mega Corporation actually listened. We want to acknowledgement, as owners, and when given it we complain, yet the non-vocal majority are just sending in checks for deposits. Wait till you see photos from the LA Auto Show, then make your decision, but also realize what clout we have had as owners to get this Enormous Company to listen to our needs, knowing no one can ever make everyone happy. If more power is your need, just wait a little longer, or slap on a Paxton Supercharger. If style and uniqueness are your main needs, it will be answered soon. We asked, they listened, and we can continue to envelope this unique owner/corporation marriage, or we can whine ourselves into a position that we are no longer given a voice. Viewing from the bleachers, we have 5 other Manufacturers ( that we sell )that pay no heed to the owners, so it is very hard not to have a warm regard for the one entity that has the guts to ask everyone their opinion and then act as best their overell perception dictates.

Yep, I like the car, and from all the phone calls recieved, I know tons of other folks do too!

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea!

I like the looks of it more than my '04, which I like quite a bit (although I do personally prefer a convertible for the driving experience, looks aside).

And as for performance, it comes strong stock and, perhaps more importantly, has LOTS of potential for performance mods. If you're not happy with a mere 500/525, you're not stuck with it. The simple solution is to just pick up the phone and call Jason Heffner (who, by the way, puts out each Viper according to the express desire of the individual owner, unlike DC which is trying to target group of potential buyer's performance and sticker price preferences). DC sells a solid platform with lots of potential if you want to take advantage of it; Heffner sells the custom upgrades. Once modified, you can out perform not only most of the cars on the road (which stock already does), but also all of the stock Vettes and Vipers as well! But that's just the way I like to look at it.

It looks great (IMHO) and provides a solid platform for upgrades! YEA, I say! :headbang:

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No on performance. Bill, I hope you are right that there is a horsepower increase coming. When that happens, I'll revisit getting one of the new coupes. But I can't stand the idea of getting a Viper that will be outshined by a Corvette.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's put this in a real perspective. There will be another year of 36,000 Vettes, so exclusivity is not in their vocabulary. The plant will probably build 2400 total Snakes when the Coupe comes out, with a mix of 2/3rds or more Coupe and the balance in convertibles. So the cost of doing a new body style for maybe 1800 cars is off scale. To do a motor at the same time, though we would all like it, defies logic in understanding the cost of building a marque car that makes no money. Do not believe that the SRT team is sleeping ( most of the guys/gals I know are working consistent 18hr days ),but one has to have some common sense in what is practical as well as plausible. Will there be a hp increase in the future--- absolutely. Will we all be pleased and excited about this when it happens in the not too distant future - for sure. An extremely small group of individuals begged for a Coupe version of the Viper, and a Mega Corporation actually listened. We want to acknowledgement, as owners, and when given it we complain, yet the non-vocal majority are just sending in checks for deposits. Wait till you see photos from the LA Auto Show, then make your decision, but also realize what clout we have had as owners to get this Enormous Company to listen to our needs, knowing no one can ever make everyone happy. If more power is your need, just wait a little longer, or slap on a Paxton Supercharger. If style and uniqueness are your main needs, it will be answered soon. We asked, they listened, and we can continue to envelope this unique owner/corporation marriage, or we can whine ourselves into a position that we are no longer given a voice. Viewing from the bleachers, we have 5 other Manufacturers ( that we sell )that pay no heed to the owners, so it is very hard not to have a warm regard for the one entity that has the guts to ask everyone their opinion and then act as best their overell perception dictates.

Yep, I like the car, and from all the phone calls recieved, I know tons of other folks do too!

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Bill, I agree with most of what you are saying except the engine issue. They have a 612 HP motor at their disposal (Mercedes SL65 or 55) that with minor programming can turn out 670HP. Sure there are issues with getting that into the Viper, but they are probably less than the body change requirments as you mention. An off the cuff look under the hood makes me beleive there is more room in the Viper engine bay than the Mercedes, so fit should be an issue. Is there a significant cost difference between the two engines? I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nay. With all do respect to you Bill your in the business to sell NEW Vipers so odviously your backing the new coupe.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not as simple as yea or nay. If DC could build the GTS-R concept, then nay on this design; otherwise, then yea, of course, build it.

It is beginning to grow on me a little. The shots in Automobile mag are pretty good. I just don't know if I'd buy one, especially because in order to track it, I'd still have to spend money for the Comp Coupe oil system (articulating arm or whatever they use), better rubber, five/six point harnesses, etc. It seems the advantage to the new coupe is being able to track it, so why don't they make an ACR version that is really ready to go tracking?

As far as cruising around and general fun in nice weather, I've never been able to get beyond the absolute necessity to take off the top! Guess I'll stick with my RT until I can justify getting an SRT-10 roadster, which may be fairly soon since I see their prices getting lower all the time.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.

Performance is important to me. So is having the bragging rights. Now, every pimple faced teen will walk up to me at the drag strip to remind me that the Z06 is faster. TODAY. I'm not talking about theory, future, whatif....Today, we are in THIRD PLACE (Major corporation American built sports cars) How do you defend that?

That said: at $75,000msrp the C6 Z06 will be sold at a premium above that figure (for a while anyway) and the SRT-10 will continue to be discounted. Maybe it will help sales a bit.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how many Z06's are sold at a premium. The general reaction in the Vette forums is the price uptick negates the Vette's overall appeal.

Remember, these guys have been saying for years that they can invest $40k in a slightly used Z06 and get 2x that in value with regard to other 'supercars'.

$75k is just too much money for their demographic. You would think that they would have learned that lesson with the ZR1.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how many Z06's are sold at a premium. The general reaction in the Vette forums is the price uptick negates the Vette's overall appeal.

Remember, these guys have been saying for years that they can invest $40k in a slightly used Z06 and get 2x that in value with regard to other 'supercars'.

$75k is just too much money for their demographic. You would think that they would have learned that lesson with the ZR1.

RavenFan,

I agree with your general assessment. For this reason, I'm not sure GM will price the Z06 at $75K. No firm pricing has been released and Motor Trend and Car and Driver are reporting two different prices. If they do come out at about the same price, I'd probably go for the Viper, but I think the Z may be alot closer to the #60's price range. I guess in 5-6 months we'll all know the answer.

Rick

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the new Coupe. And it's not that far off from a Comp Coupe either... I do wish they would have bumped the performance though. With the Z06 being a better performer (including dry-sump and killer brakes) for an SRT-4 less money, DC will only be selling SRT-10 Coupes to current Viper owners and enthusiasts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187