Yellowing clear coat on wheels?!?!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have any of you refinished wheels that have yellowed due to excessive heat from the brakes?
My '00 GTS has the factory wheels.
Do you somehow strip the clearcoat and then have them refinished?

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Near my location there is a shop called "Wheel Connection" They specialize in wheel repair and refinishing. I believe complete stripping and refinishing with OEM finish runs from $75 to $100 per wheel. They can also repair any blemishes in the wheel at the same time. Find a company like this in your area. It's probably the best bet.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracy- I found a website that might help www.carcareonline.com
They recommend Meguiar's (mirror glaze) Fine Cut Cleaner # 1 or # 2 (depending on how bad your wheels are) followed with 3m hand glaze and then wax.

For your information.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clear coat(from factory) is NOT paint it is a clear powder coat on the wheel. if you touch up w/ paint it will eventually flake off. the powder coat needs to be stripped off and wheel repolised then repowder coated.

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A new clear coat is soft enough that it will scratch. Even if it doesn't sometimes the aluminmum will gray under the new coat. I got mine chromed and they look better than you could imagine. The price wasn't that much more. Just be sure you find a good plater. If you want I'll give you mine but he's in Southern California.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the chrome wheels require any special care, against the elements that is. Also, is there a major price difference between chroming and re-coating? My 01 wheels are starting to look pretty milky, and i assume that DC wont take any responsibility for it, so its all on me. Deciding whether to chrome em or re-polish them.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrome, like any other coating will eventually yield to the elements, it's just a matter of time. However, IMHO, it will outlast the clear coat that's on there now. Keep'em clean and you'll get plenty of miles out of them.

If you track the car, a lot of the old timers will tell you not to use chromed wheels. The reasoning is that the chroming process will make the surface brittle and easier to crack under stress.