Yet another insurance thread - with a twist...

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the yet another insurance thread, but I haven't seen this scenario yet in searches...

I have two late-model collectibles, an '08 ACR and an '07 GT500. Combined, they have less than 500 miles since new. I want to drive them, it just seems that I don't get the chance as often as I'd like (busy=cars paid for :D). To that point, I'd like to not pay $10 per mile in insurance (assuming 100-150 miles per year each). I'm okay with a 'call before you drive' type of insurance if it's available, and I'd like to keep agreed value if possible. What are my options to keep 'em insured in the garage against theft, fire, etc and insured on the road for minimal miles? Thanks :drive:!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know of any policy like that. I have state farm. I pay around $300 (each) for six months. Thats for full coverage. However I don't drive them six months due to the weather where I live. Ionly will be driving one of them per season to save on cost and mileage to the cars. So I think its a great deal. I think it gives me about 7500 miles a year.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm....I have full Coverage + Agreed Value. I remove mine from service each year. December-June. Simply give them a call up when i'm ready to drive.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a little known policy that your agent probably won't offer to you.
The policy that I have my four Vipers on is called a "show car policy". The requirements are a full appraisal.(Whcih I'm glad I got anyway) and drive less than 4000 miles per year. Best part is that they will cover blowers, 800hp+ eng. etc.

See what happens when you tell your agent that you have 800 hp?....:omg: Several guys in our club use this type policy also.

Bottom line....This is based on three cars. (Ins. co. did not know one car had a blower and two stage NOS...

- I was paying about $1260.00 per year, per car =$3780.00 ( based on three cars.-2001 GTS. 2-06 coupes)

- I now pay $1740.00 per year for all three cars. EXCEPT.. They know of and I am insured for everything. (incl. blowers, Nos, Street Serpent body conversion, everything.)

FWIW...

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$300 every 6 months!--nice--I just got quoted a limited pleasure car policy with state farm of $450 every 6 months--I am going to call today about the show car insurance.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind is I have the home and all the other cars with state farm as well. Plus the marriage discount comes into play as well.
$300 every 6 months!--nice--I just got quoted a limited pleasure car policy with state farm of $450 every 6 months--I am going to call today about the show car insurance.

xentec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow you must be really busy! 150 miles per year?! I do that on a Saturday drive!

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a little known policy that your agent probably won't offer to you.
The policy that I have my four Vipers on is called a "show car policy". The requirements are a full appraisal.(Whcih I'm glad I got anyway) and drive less than 4000 miles per year. Best part is that they will cover blowers, 800hp+ eng. etc.

See what happens when you tell your agent that you have 800 hp?....:omg: Several guys in our club use this type policy also.

Bottom line....This is based on three cars. (Ins. co. did not know one car had a blower and two stage NOS...

- I was paying about $1260.00 per year, per car =$3780.00 ( based on three cars.-2001 GTS. 2-06 coupes)

- I now pay $1740.00 per year for all three cars. EXCEPT.. They know of and I am insured for everything. (incl. blowers, Nos, Street Serpent body conversion, everything.)

FWIW...

What company are you with? I pay 3k a year with Hagerty (was 4k until a friend that knows someone called) and that is for around 200k stated value on three cars. My viper has 2900 miles in over 2 years. I just called some other company's & they said they could not touch my price even with me insuring my daily drivers with them.

Tucker

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just dont use USAA if you ever have a claim. They will fight you tooth and nail to not pay. I know, and may have to sue them for my loss.

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the yet another insurance thread, but I haven't seen this scenario yet in searches...

I have two late-model collectibles, an '08 ACR and an '07 GT500. Combined, they have less than 500 miles since new. I want to drive them, it just seems that I don't get the chance as often as I'd like (busy=cars paid for :D). To that point, I'd like to not pay $10 per mile in insurance (assuming 100-150 miles per year each). I'm okay with a 'call before you drive' type of insurance if it's available, and I'd like to keep agreed value if possible. What are my options to keep 'em insured in the garage against theft, fire, etc and insured on the road for minimal miles? Thanks :drive:!
I have Wavanesa insurance. Very good prices, check them out.