Yet another Scam, Are there really people this stupid out there?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/listings/vehicle_detail_prem?listing_id=9194478&search=8ec268d5315ede63540eac866de24ed5-102410875-9194478-dealer_referral_vehicle&zipcode=17315

Looks like a great deal! Curiousity was getting to me so I figured I would contact the seller.

Here is my emails to him with his responses. You can definitely see this is a scam, and it appears from the broken English he is not from the states. It ****** me off that these A$$ wipe degenerates can't be caught. I am going to forward him this post in my email to him in response to his last email to let him know I have warned other potential buyers.

Dear Buyer,
Because I can't send the car without any guarantees of the payment though I've told you,in order to proceed with the deal I need a deposit of 4000 us dollars.The deposit must be done using the escrow company because represent a trusted third party that holds payment until transaction is completed.
I prefer escrow company because in this way I will ship the car in the same day you make the payment to the escrow company and they inform me about this.

You will arrange deposit through escrow company.You receive and inspect my car and you decide to keap it you will send to the escrow company the balance.
The inspection period for it is 7 days.

Look here how things are going:
l'm a serious seller with more than 2 years of experience in this field.
If you make the deposit you can fly to me and pick up the car but first I must to be sure that you are a real buyer and you have money.If you want we can sign a document.
I wait your email.
Have a nice day!
Thanks

"Rist, Edward L" <[email protected]> wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for the quick response!! I am definitely interested in purchasing this car if the condition is as you state.

Do you have a VIN # for me, I would like to run a carfax on the car and also do you have a copy of the title or vehicle registration you could fax me. Like I said I am serious about buying this car as I already have 2, a yellow 95 RT-10 and red 2001 GTS.

If you have a copy of the registration or title and can fax it to me at 717-441-5854 that would be great, if everything checks out I will make arrangements to meet you whenever you are available, I could meet you either day this weekend and look at the car and bring a cashiers or bank check.

Also, do you have a phone # I can contact you? I can be reached at my office 717-***-XXXX.

Thanks
Ed Rist

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 3:42 PM
To: Rist, Edward L
Subject: Re: Question for seller - 2001 Dodge Viper on CarsDirect.com

Dear Sir,
My Dodge Viper 2001 is in perfect condition,it is clean title.
Yes I have it for sale,I must to sell it in few days because I must to recast a borrow from my bank.
Please email to discuss how we can cocnlude the deal.
What is your name?
Have a nice day!
Bye

"Rist, Edward L" <[email protected]> wrote:
Do you still have this car for sale? Also, is there anything mechanical wrong with it and is the title clean.

I am located in PA and would be interested in looking at it sometime this week if you still have it.

Any more info you have on it would be great!

Thanks,

Ed Rist

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Option:

ABS, AM/FM Radio, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Bucket Seating, CD Player, Cassette Radio, Cruise Control, Driver-Side Airbag, Extra Cab, Leather Interior, Memory Seats, Passenger-Side Airbag, Power Lock, Power Seats, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Air Conditioning, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Remote Alarm Control, Side-Impact Airbags, Tinted Glass, Tow Package"

Extra cab? Memory seats? Rear air conditioning? Rear window defroster? Rear window wiper? Side impact air bags? And best of all TOW PACKAGE??

D*mn if it just had an 8-track I would buy it.

Bill

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is from naplesmotorsports they always take there pictures there look them up on ebay thats one of there cars.
and those same words was what i got when there was one in the auto trader a 2000 gts with HRE wheels
they wanted a $3000 deposit and then they would ship the car for me to inspected.
once i said i was paying cash and wanted to fly in for pickup i got the run around and never got any more emails.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ed, If you get the 3rd viper your going to have to start parking them at my house so at least their in a garage.
I can't believe that the possibility of getting another Viper would keep you from helping me put this roof on this weekend. Bone head :p

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Buyer,
Because I can't send the car without any guarantees of the payment though I've told you,in order to proceed with the deal I need a deposit of 4000 us dollars.The deposit must be done using the escrow company because represent a trusted third party that holds payment until transaction is completed.
I prefer escrow company because in this way I will ship the car in the same day you make the payment to the escrow company and they inform me about this.

You will arrange deposit through escrow company.You receive and inspect my car and you decide to keap it you will send to the escrow company the balance.
The inspection period for it is 7 days.

Look here how things are going:
l'm a serious seller with more than 2 years of experience in this field.
If you make the deposit you can fly to me and pick up the car but first I must to be sure that you are a real buyer and you have money.If you want we can sign a document.
I wait your email.
Have a nice day!
Thanks

They really need to start cracking down on people like this.

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed, If you get the 3rd viper your going to have to start parking them at my house so at least their in a garage.
I can't believe that the possibility of getting another Viper would keep you from helping me put this roof on this weekend. Bone head :p

I was not looking for a 3rd viper but figured maybe by some luck chance it was true and for 22K for an 01 RT, I would do it.

Either way, see ya in an hour to put the roof on. I know you old guys need some young help~~~~

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke with a representative at carsdirect.com and they are going to remove the add and any other adds associated with that email address listed with them.

The woman I spoke with said she removes about 6 a day, mostly for the BMW M3, must be a popular car to scam people on.

Also the options on the car did crack me up, especially the towing package.