You are not going to believe this crap.

01 Sapphire RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of my guys take the viper to get a tire changed. He calls and says that the battery light and the water light are on. And asked if I had noticed this before. NO ---I asked what the temp was---200 I told him turn around and park it. I come in from a job and pop the hood. The freaking belt is off and the balancer and pulley are laying on the cross members. It looks as if the bolt just backed out. The dealer has it now. I'm worried how hot he got it and if there is going to be any damage. Has anyone heard of this before???
Thanks Dave

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, This is a problem,see the Crank Pinning post.Improper torque,accessory drag and a non keyed crank pulley are the the reasons the bolt comes loose.Also the bolt should be a left hand thread.The pulley can spin on the crank shaft damaging the assembly.The warranty will cover any damage but PIN THE CRANK.Rick

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
200 degrees is nothing to worry about. If thats as hot as it got, there will be no damage. Many tracked Vipers have seen close to 250 on hot days after a 1/2 hour session, without being damaged.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum but why would a performance car not have a keyed balancer? $10k Chebbies have keyed balancers.

And you know he was full of shizzit when he told you 200!!! They run at 200-220 when the water pump is being spun so I'm sure it saw much more than that.

Hopefully, the dealer will (and should) cover it under warranty. Make sure they look beyond the front of the engine for possible heat damage like bearings, gaskets, etc.

Good luck.

Chad

OP
OP

01 Sapphire RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all so far. Yep the car did see the top of the temp gauge 250. I hope there is no damage- have to wait till Monday. Will get Pinning tool from Roe unless any other suggestions.
Thanks again
Dave

Ramman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the power steering pump pully fail. Same thing, belt of and tem and gen light on.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of posts that involve problems with a Viper always seem to start out with something like " I had one of my guys take the Viper .... " or " I left my car with the valet parking guy ...." or " I dropped my car off at the dealership and when I went back to get it .... " Hey guys, WAKE UP !! These are fantasy cars, not Rent A Wrecks that you can let anyone drive. Anyone who gets the chance to drive one is going to want to see how it goes. I let my best friend drive the car when I was in it, he floored it, I let my brother drive the car when I was in it, he floored it. Can you imagine what happens to our cars when we're not in them ??? I wouldn't let the Pope take my car out for a ride !! Fat chance of a valet parking lot attendant or other getting my keys. If you want to keep your Viper safe and in one piece don't trust it to anyone ! If it needs to go somewhere take it yourself and stay with it. If it needs to go inside a garage you drive it in and take your keys. When it's done you move it out. At valet parking you park it and take your keys. If it needs to be moved have them come in and get you. All this is a small price to pay to keep your Viper in one piece!! I don't mean to sound cruel but all you guys who have had your Vipers damaged after you gave your keys to someone else and left it in their care won't get any sympathy from me!! I know some of you guys here make a lot more money than me and perhaps you really don't care about your car that much, but I'm just a poor slob who works 5 days a week from 7 to 5 and a part time job also to be able to afford the car. Perhaps I treasure mine a little more than some of you. I hope I haven't offended anyone here, just putting in my hard earned 2 cents for whatever its worth !!

Bo knows

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bo DOES know....

I have to agree, just got back from a Italian car show in Memphis-pulled into valet parking and the gomer didn't want me to park it myself so I nicely ask to speak to the manager. He looked at the car and told the attendant to get a life and let me park it.

Very very few people will ever get the chance to drive my car, it's not that I am afraid of what they will do to the car I'm afraid of what the Viper can do to them. I don't want my car to maim or kill someone.

B

OP
OP

01 Sapphire RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you, this was tough call. I hated ever minute. And can you imagine how I felt after the call. News update the crank is hosed. Dodge is sending the motor to Arrow to be torn down and rebuilt. There goes the summer.
Thanks Dave